• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

It appears that the muslin might have been better used to swaddle Kerry because it did not work well to strain the jelly! Right now I have dumped it out of the muslin and into a strainer in the hopes of rescuing something!

This year, I got sick of messing around with kitchen towels/cheesecloth/sieves/other kludges and gave in and bought a "real" jelly strainer bag and wire stand. I'm glad I did because it seems to work better for me than anything else I've tried in the past. I've also discovered the real key, for me anyway, is to get it started dripping and then go away so I don't get impatient.

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

This year, I got sick of messing around with kitchen towels/cheesecloth/sieves/other kludges and gave in and bought a "real" jelly strainer bag and wire stand. I'm glad I did because it seems to work better for me than anything else I've tried in the past. I've also discovered the real key, for me anyway, is to get it started dripping and then go away so I don't get impatient.

I think I want to get one of those, too.  I used a thin tea towel and it was a pain in the butt.

""  spicy kimchee potato salad ""

very much looking forward to this

do you plan to use some of the ' instant kimchee ' recently made ?

( if that's what it was called )

Emergency kimchi. Yes. That will be in it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My mother made plum ( Santa Rosa  - home grown ) jam/jelly every year.  it wasn't clear, but it was 'strained through cloth ' so it wasn't chunky.  it was the best stuff

ive ever had as my mother didn't use a lot of sugar.  I used to have to hold the 'bag' up and the bag had to be a clean cotton old pillow case.

One year I found an old IV pole at the Hospital, and wheeled that home for jelly/jam use.  it put me out of business  (  :biggrin: )  However, the old pillow case was still

de regular.  One year i bought locally a 'real jelly strainer bag'  it never got used after a 'trial period'  that period was very short.

Im convinced this is a evolutionary DNA issue.  There must be a very old DNA sequence that programs some obscure part of the brain, and demands that jelly/jam be made

with 'what's around the house' already.  This DNA sequence has to be right next to some other DNA sequence that's just as old, but provides astonishing 

modern intellectual flexibility so both bits of DNA are passed on and on.  This is called linkage.

that's why Jam/Jelly is always better and tastier when strained through old yet clean 100 % cotton pillow cases.

I will admit, there is a slight variant of this DNA sequence.  It constructs that obscure part of the Jelly-Brain  so it demands are made for Old 100% cotton T-

shirts.  Im not personally aware of a Tea-Cloth sequence.  that might need to be looked into.

there might be a difference of only two or three Sequence-Base-Pairs.

that's evolution for you.  Stay Close to your More Sophisticated Neighbor, that's all you need to do to survive.

Jelly/Jam making proves this.

tasty home-made Jam/jelly always requires stuff you already have.  What you make with those Purpose-full  Jam/jelly kits might make

really really good jam/jelly, but its never The Best jam/jelly  No mater what the Test Kitchen Says.

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Text from Lancaster Mike when the jelly was being made suggested an award winning jelly maker friend of his uses panty hose. When we were in the VV's in Sudbury - I pointed to the panty hose and asked Anna whether we should get some for fruit projects!

• Like 2

Yes, a jelly bag is a great idea. But patience was not in short supply. Had I waited until The Donald grew hair of his own the jelly would have mummified in the swaddling cloth. It showed no signs of ever flowing. Reminded me of the experiment at the University of Queensland (google pitch drop experiment).

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My mother made plum ( Santa Rosa  - home grown ) jam/jelly every year.  it wasn't clear, but it was 'strained through cloth ' so it wasn't chunky.  it was the best stuff

ive ever had as my mother didn't use a lot of sugar.  I used to have to hold the 'bag' up and the bag had to be a clean cotton old pillow case.

One year I found an old IV pole at the Hospital, and wheeled that home for jelly/jam use.  it put me out of business  (  :biggrin: )  However, the old pillow case was still

de regular.  One year i bought locally a 'real jelly strainer bag'  it never got used after a 'trial period'  that period was very short.

Im convinced this is a evolutionary DNA issue.  There must be a very old DNA sequence that programs some obscure part of the brain, and demands that jelly/jam be made

with 'what's around the house' already.  This DNA sequence has to be right next to some other DNA sequence that's just as old, but provides astonishing 

modern intellectual flexibility so both bits of DNA are passed on and on.  This is called linkage.

that's why Jam/Jelly is always better and tastier when strained through old yet clean 100 % cotton pillow cases.

I will admit, there is a slight variant of this DNA sequence.  It constructs that obscure part of the Jelly-Brain  so it demands are made for Old 100% cotton T-

shirts.  Im not personally aware of a Tea-Cloth sequence.  that might need to be looked into.

there might be a difference of only two or three Sequence-Base-Pairs.

that's evolution for you.  Stay Close to your More Sophisticated Neighbor, that's all you need to do to survive.

Jelly/Jam making proves this.

tasty home-made Jam/jelly always requires stuff you already have.  What you make with those Purpose-full  Jam/jelly kits might make

really really good jam/jelly, but its never The Best jam/jelly  No mater what the Test Kitchen Says.

just saying.

Brilliant reasoning. It opens vistas.

My 2004 eG Blog

thank you. it does.  

an indeed I had to hold up the 'bag' for quite some time, both for individual sessions, and yearly.

I wonder when the Tea-Cloth mutation(s?)  occurred ?

there has to be an Old IV pole somewhere 'near-by'  you can return it On Departure, and reclaim it Next Trip.

• Like 1

Text from Lancaster Mike when the jelly was being made suggested an award winning jelly maker friend of his uses panty hose. When we were in the VV's in Sudbury - I pointed to the panty hose and asked Anna whether we should get some for fruit projects!

Hi to LMike.

thank you. it does.  

an indeed I had to hold up the 'bag' for quite some time, both for individual sessions, and yearly.

there has to be an Old IV pole somewhere 'near-by'  you can return it On Departure, and reclaim it Next Trip.

I have a stubby little one at home I use for a variety of functions in my chocolate lab. Last seen it was holding the hose from the dry ice filled cooler for my panning.

post-34671-0-64611300-1421174266.jpg

• Like 1

I was going to suggest more people from Kansas read and study my analysis of Jelly/Jam making, but recalled that Shelby is from KS.

She would be the one that matter'd most.

No Fizz was consumed during the Analysis.  It did provide respite from Wood-Stacking.

I also believe that synthetic material can not be used. ever. There would be an Off-taste im sure.

but i have no proof 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Any fresh fish up on the island? Dare I say...any fishing activities?!

Yes. One of us who shall remain nameless, but it isn't me, doesn't do fish!

Edited to fix a , that was on the loose

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

thank you. it does.  

Apparently even here IV poles ain't the utilitarian things they used to be. They have gone high-tech so I am told. This makes it much harder to liberate one.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I have routinely wished that I'd kept a bunch of the chem lab gear when it was cleaned out of our company's water lab "because we don't do that here anymore". Old beakers and flasks that would have been perfect mixing and storage containers, a magnetic stirrer or two...and yes, there was probably some sort of flask stand or support pole that I could have taken. What a waste!

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Your 'Local' probably does not have a Sub-Basement, just a Basement.

the Hospital's " Help Your-Self " closet is always located in the Sub-Basement.  Never in the Basement.

the Sub-B is where old IV poles go to patiently wait for their next lives.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

My fave was probably cheesecloth for jelly-making, but cheesecloth seems to vary a lot in quality (weave). It always needed to be doubled (or tripled at times) and I had to make sure i had a starting piece that was big enough to do that and still tie it at the top. Some are sold as long narrow pieces that are awkward to work with. And unless you shopped at the right place, it could be kind of expensive. I did try a pillow case a couple of times also - one with a lower thread count. 

• Like 3

the Hospital's " Help Your-Self " closet is always located in the Sub-Basement.  Never in the Basement.

the Sub-B is where old IV poles go to patiently wait.

But don't consider this option if you work at a VA hospital unless you want to talk to a federal judge.

• Like 2

""  I did try a pillow case a couple of times also - one with a lower thread count.  ""

my experience is that the T.C. had to be = or < than 200.

and Made in the USA, not China.

that dates the experiments.

• Like 1

I have routinely wished that I'd kept a bunch of the chem lab gear when it was cleaned out of our company's water lab "because we don't do that here anymore". Old beakers and flasks that would have been perfect mixing and storage containers, a magnetic stirrer or two...and yes, there was probably some sort of flask stand or support pole that I could have taken. What a waste!

Broke one of my favourite beakers just before I came up here!

the Sub-B is where old IV poles go to patiently wait for their next lives.

In an old OR back of the ER - I frequently check out what I might find in there.

A couple of years ago they were cleaning out old the old OR stainless - I've still got a box of things that would make some cringe - but I could make a turducken with no difficulty at all!