• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

Actually lemon verbena - was one of the recipes from The Last Course. I suspect recipe testing more thoroughly might have been in order.

It called for 1 tightly packed cup of lemon verbena leaves (1 ounce) to 2 cups of liquid. I didn't even tip the 5 gram mark on the thermomix and the flavour was decidedly too much like furniture polish. I think a sprig of the herb - just enough to give a subtle background flavour would have been the way to go. Can't imagine how it would have tasted with 30 grams!

Oh yeah - and it was supposed to un mold as a solid piece - I called Anna in from the living room - asked her to pick me a sprig of lemon verbena to show it off - the look on her face when she saw the puddle on the plate was rather priceless.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

Lemon verbena infused tea cakes!

I too bought some lemon verbena to grow this year (I think I got the real thing) to make a ganache from a recipe by Michael Recchiuti and Fran Gage.  My only puzzle is why they insist the verbena must first be dried.  The aroma from the living plant is so wonderful that I am loathe to dry the leaves and risk losing that smell/taste.  I don't have a huge plant but may try just a few fresh leaves in ganache to see how it works (I sound a little like Kerry--try it and see what happens).

Jim

Oooh, that tomato pudding looks absolutely scrumptious.  

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/pan-crisped-deviled-eggs-french-lettuces

Edited to add

You can also find them using his mother's name, Jeannette.

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Lynne Rossetto Kasper's books, as well as her radio show. I've saved both of these; they will likely make an appearance soon. Wondering if I can sub cornbread for the bread slices on the bottom of the pudding? I don't really see why not.....in fact, could simply bake a very thin cornbread layer and build the pudding on top of it....

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

DYING to know what you think.

Tastes just like apple!  Unfortunately in the impossible version it sinks to the bottom - but they are snarfing it down anyway!

• Like 1

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Lynne Rossetto Kasper's books, as well as her radio show. I've saved both of these; they will likely make an appearance soon. Wondering if I can sub cornbread for the bread slices on the bottom of the pudding? I don't really see why not.....in fact, could simply bake a very thin cornbread layer and build the pudding on top of it....

Bet it would be really good. I didn't think the baguette we were able to acquire did much for the pudding. If I were to do it again I think I might toast the baguette slices first or perhaps even brush them with olive oil and quickly grill. The plain bread to me seemed to be like a flavour tamp/sink (you know -- like a heat sink).

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So a couple of teaser photos

image.jpg

image.jpg

What will I get up to today?

Edited to add one more clue

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Currant jelly?!

.....or maybe Kerry needs a good swaddling......

I knew I gave you one too many clues! I'll jump through hoops for Kerry but if she needs swaddling........

Edited. Typo.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

It appears that the muslin might have been better used to swaddle Kerry because it did not work well to strain the jelly! Right now I have dumped it out of the muslin and into a strainer in the hopes of rescuing something!

My 2004 eG Blog

You know there is a fine food mill in the closet under the pantry?

Too late! Although if I had thought about it I did know that. What we have currently is something not quite jelly and not quite jam. I reckon it will work fine in Cumberland sauce, make a lovely topping for Kira’s toast and who knows, maybe a fine shoe polish.

I suspect that Muslin ain't necessarily muslin or it might've been my technique. But on examination the material does seem to be more tightly woven than one might expect for pure muslin.

On the bright side the bread seems to be much more of a success. The first photo teaser I shared this morning was a tray of seeds and nuts that were about to be toasted before being incorporated into bread dough. There seemed to be an excessive amount of dough so I split off a portion and made a teeny, teeny loaf.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0796.jpg

Brother's Perryman - a favourite!

IMG_0800.jpg

Lamb chops, spiralized zucchini cooked in garlic oil, peas and mushrooms cooked in bacon fat. Look at all that green on the plate - almost eating vegetarian as we planned!

• Like 8

I too bought some lemon verbena to grow this year (I think I got the real thing) to make a ganache from a recipe by Michael Recchiuti and Fran Gage.  My only puzzle is why they insist the verbena must first be dried.  The aroma from the living plant is so wonderful that I am loathe to dry the leaves and risk losing that smell/taste.  I don't have a huge plant but may try just a few fresh leaves in ganache to see how it works (I sound a little like Kerry--try it and see what happens).

Jim

Lemon verbena doesn't seem, at least for several years, to lose its smell when dried. About 10 years ago, for Christmas, my sister-in-law gave me a huge bag of dried lemon verbena. It perfumed my whole kitchen for over a year before I even got around to using any. I think I used about half in 3 years and finally chucked the rest figuring I would probably never use that much - but it was still fragrant even then. A little does go a long way - dried or fresh.

I wonder if Hydro went out in Little Current.

Kerry is sort of off today, which is like being a little bit pregnant. Actually she is on call for obstetrics which means we can go out but only so far. It is dull, rainy and the two of us seem to be devoid of even the slightest wish to show a leg. Hydro cannot be blamed for this stage of affairs. Must try to muster some ambition.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I never begrudge someone a day of just resting.

But it was so nice to be missed. We are stirring slowly. Considering a trip out to find some baby potatoes and some real mayonnaise.

My 2004 eG Blog

How did the currant jamly turn out?  (jamly = 1/2 jam, 1/2 jelly)   :smile:

If you don't like it as a jam or jelly, maybe a glaze for meat?

Well since you asked…

The stuff that dripped through initially was perfect. It was a soft set jelly exactly as I'd hoped for. But after I had transferred the contents of the swaddling cloth (doesn't that sound biblical?) to a sieve and gently persuaded the contents to release the precious liquid I ended up with something not much thicker than juice! Very strange. Among the very many tasks I hope to accomplish in the next little while will be to cook down this juice and hope to make it gel. Shame really as that initial jelly tasted very good and re-cooking is unlikely to improve that fresh taste.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

im not a jelly maker, so please take my comments  en stride

if reheating would effect the taste, why not add some commercial pectin ?

would that affect the taste you are looking for ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So here is what we bought this morning. I gave you three photos so you can see more clearly what is there as I challenge you to hold us to account (to be sure and keep the fun in this most peculiar way of living that includes posting photos of all but the most personal activities of one's life!)

Frozen mango and the rice. Destined for a dish of mango and sticky rice because Kerry loves it and I have never had it. Dessert tonight? No promises made.

Ginger. As of right now a simple re-stocking tactic. A house without ginger is ill-served. White wine vinegar--ditto.

Tiny potatoes, HELLMAN'S MAYONNAISE, both intended for the spicy kimchee potato salad planned as part of tonight's dinner.

Loaf of "sourdough" bread. An unsatisfactory imitation of the real bread we want in order to make pan con tomate. Perhaps today but more likely part of lunch tomorrow.

Wheat bran. One of the ingredients for Peter Rinehart's famous Struan bread. Should have double checked for a supply of brown rice in the house. Damn. May need another trip out.

Manuka honey. Very expensive consolation prize for my daughter who wanted local Island honey which seems to be in alarmingly short supply.

Romaine lettuce: a fall back, easy vegetable side when brushed with olive oil and tossed on the LGE (Little Green Egg).

Instant noodles - never, ever shop when you are hungry/hangry. More to come.

Dill. Because Kerry thought she might make some Boursin cheaper than she must pay for the "real" thing. This may be illusionary. This tiny sprig of dill cost almost $3.

Cherries. Hard to explain. Have been reading a great deal about clafoutis but have no intention of making it as I am not a fan. But if I volunteer to pit them... I bet they'll be great in the oft-mentioned in our Island adventure blogs -- Summer Torte -- taking a hint from my reading and including almonds in one form or another.

There. I think I have covered every item.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Lunch. INSTANT noodles. The illogic of it all. By the time you cook the "perfect egg", prep the beet greens, chop the scallions, go on a hunt for the non-existent soy sauce and finally find the sesame oil.......

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog