• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

So while we were in Sudbury we picked up a Napa cabbage with a view to making kimchi. This morning I think it behooves me to begin. This will be emergency kimchi not the full Monty!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Making kimchi ( not nearly as much fun as making whoopee!)

image.jpg

Napa cabbage in heavily salted water.

image.jpg

The goods: red pepper flakes, garlic (enough to keep away vampires), scallions, carrots and fish sauce.

image.jpg

The cabbage rinsed and wrung dry.

image.jpg

Kimchi. Well it will be in a few days.

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Got called out last night to give ketamine to a rug rat with a nasty arm fracture - so didn't have time to bake. So this am I threw together the Fine Cooking Bake Shop Muffins - added currants and bitter orange oil.

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

• Like 7

what Rx do you use for the Quick Kimchi ?

Just Google emergency kimchi.

My 2004 eG Blog

I made the coconut impossible pie and we enjoyed it. As I had a lot of limes on hand, I substituted some lime juice for some of the milk and also added some lime zest. Thanks for posting the recipe.

• Like 3

I google maman's eggs and get a souffle recipe. this isn;t a souffle

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/pan-crisped-deviled-eggs-french-lettuces

Edited to add

You can also find them using his mother's name, Jeannette.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

The son of one of Kira's sitters is getting married this weekend - so I asked what wedding favours they were having made. She explained they had contacted a few people on the island about it and no one got back to them. So of course you know who's going to volunteer to put them together.

I learned a few things about using a brush for painting which I didn't know before - so a fair number of the bowties are not quite up to snuff - but I suspect I'm my own worst critic. 

IMG_0773.jpg

Brides under construction.

DSCN5812.jpg

Couples being assembled for packaging.

DSCN5795.jpg

60+ packages ready for pickup. 

• Like 23

Those are adorable! What flavor is beneath those charming coats?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

image.jpg

No-knead harvest bread from the King Arthur site. Perfectly fine bread but not the bread that I am aiming for. I have a bread in mind that is hearty but not stodgy, that has seeds and nuts but is not sweet. I have made a few attempts but so far have missed the mark. The bread I have in mind was served in a fast food sandwich restaurant when these were all the rage. Don't remember the name of the place.

Edited to fix Typos

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

A Canadian 'fast food' place? If not, perhaps was it Panera?

Kerry - you definitely must be your own worst critic! Those favours are absolutely beautiful. What a lucky wedding couple to have you jump in and make sure they could impress their guests. I just hope they were not inviting 400 people!

Edited by Deryn (log)

A Canadian 'fast food' place? If not, perhaps was it Panera?

Kerry - you definitely must be your own worst critic! Those favours are absolutely beautiful. What a lucky wedding couple to have you jump in and make sure they could impress their guests. I just hope they were not inviting 400 people!

Pre-Panera by decades.

My 2004 eG Blog

The first Panera opened in 1987 so I guess that means back in the 1960s. Wracking my brain but I cannot think of many (if any) such places in Canada (at least in north Toronto or the Yukon) at the time, unless it was a mom and pop place. Of course, I was pretty young so I only went where my parents took me for the most part.  

I would love to be able to 'smell'/envisage that bread you are talking about though so I hope you recall where it was from so perhaps you can recreate it. Food memories can be both very strong and very frustrating when it comes to pinpointing where they came from if not from one's own family kitchen - at least when they are that far back.

image.jpg

We went out to the farm again to get some eggs. I thought you might enjoy a quick shot of some of the fields.

Our haul from the farm, eggs, raspberries and zucchini and from the supermarket.

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

this,  and its Direct Relations, is the only thread that gets me thinking about Cocktails.  

Not for very long at the moment.

But i see some Tequila in the distant future.  Maybe a lime or two. maybe a bottle of Gin.

Maybe I should just get it over with,

:huh:

free up some RAM.

• Like 2

image.jpg

Dessert. My mother told me if you can't say anything nice...

It involves cream and more lemon verbena than a body might need in two lifetimes.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog