• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

Is that a bag at the bottom of the photo - the one that says 4 liters, 1%... is that a bag of milk?

It is indeed.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't quite understand what it the plastic bag  ' 4 L partially skimmed '

Milk!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I hope you're not trying to do what my university dining hall often did and serve a "monotone meal," since so much of what you got is white! (I don't recall ever getting a white meal, but the yellow meal was bad and the brown meal was worse.)

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

The only thing to add is how we store it in the fridge:

image.jpg

Edited to change think to thing.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Huh.  I learn something new every day.  Milk in a bag.  I think KennethT. needs to market the spigot idea.

No offense meant here, but that looks like a pain in the ass to deal with.  :wacko:   I'd have milk all over the place  :laugh:

Well, I say, if it ain't broke..... I don't know how long Canadians have been dealing with milk in bags, but no one seems to complain... and it certainly reduces the cost of packaging! Plus, it's created a whole new industry of companies making pitchers to put the bags in for pouring.

As they say... sleeping dogs... :)

• Like 1

Nope, not at all a Canadian thing! We have had milk in a bag since the 60's, when the glass bottles disappeared and milk stopped being delivered. Now we get milk in a 5 litre, 3 litre, 2 litre 1 litre and 500ml plastic bottles, 2 litre, 1 litre and 500ml cartons and 1 litre plastic bags. The litre plastic bags are half the price of the milk in 1, 2 or 3 litre plastic bottles - about 50 to 55 US cents a litre, depending where bought.

Edited by JohnT (log)
  • Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

KennethT - you asked about puncturing the bag. The bags are quite thick (and very useful used again for sous vide if you have the right kind of vacuum sealer) and it is hard to puncture them - however a few weeks back I was pulling a bag out of the kind of box that Anna has a picture of in post 511 and a sharp fingernail met a bulging bit of bag - and there was a little fountain in my fridge!

Here's a link to uses for milk bags. One of the others I've used is to freeze soup in them. I've also frozen them as is - once thawed the milk is perfectly good for baking etc.

• Like 2

Interesting.  

The waste elimination is good.  As is the re-use factor.

Does everyone use that organizer shown?  Seems like it takes up a lot of room?

It also greatly deters one from drinking straight from the jug.  :biggrin:

Edited by Shelby (log)

Here's one and if you Google Ken Forkish you may find others but you will definitely find YouTube videos showing you how to fold the dough and shape the loaf.

Thank you.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Rug rat came home early today - but Anna and I had enough time to run out to the Flee Market before her arrival.

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

They had quite a number of the Time Life Good Cook series (variety meats is in there) - and a lot of the hard cover Foods of the World Series. None of the little spiral ones though. 

If anyone sees one in that pile that they want - let me know - I'll pick it up and send it along.

IMG_0742.jpg

Here's what we came home with. Foods of the Worlds - African and Southeast Asian, Good Cook - Candy of course and Breads. Imagine our delight when we noticed one of the Viancan silicone lids - still in it's packaging totally unused. 

The condo used to have a good dish rack - but it got past it - so was replaced with a cheesy plastic one. We found a nice metal one at Homesense - and today were able to find a nice old Rubbermaid drain board to put under it. 

• Like 2

Interesting.  

Very few people use the organizer - but the bags themselves kinda flop around in the fridge so it's actually more space efficient in the long run. I have two up here - one for white and one for chocolate. (Kira gets a lot of her calories from chocolate milk - don't tell CAS).

• Like 2

IMG_0755 (1).jpg

Lamb chops, sous ved and BGE'd, mezgaldi, tomatoes sautéed in garlic oil with basil.

Corrected cause the chops weren't lame in the slightest!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

Milk in bags - it's a Canadian thing. 

I lived in central Michigan from the mid-70s to mid-90s and bought milk in a bag from a chain called "Quality Dairy". They were half-gallons and were put in a pitcher for pouring. I have no idea if they are still sold. Loved their Death by Chocolate ice cream and ingested many a cone while driving between horse farms. They had really good chocolate chip cookies too. Those were the days when I could (and did) eat anything!

• Like 4

I know that Canada is not the only country. I just posted a quick YouTube Video link that was about Canada using bagged milk. But I'm pretty sure I had milk in bags when I lived in Norway some years ago. I just looked at Wiki for 'milk bags' and I see other countries listed also. And even within Canada, it varies. You don't see a lot of bagged milk here in BC. 

Nope, not at all a Canadian thing! 

I lived in central Michigan from the mid-70s to mid-90s and bought milk in a bag from a chain called "Quality Dairy". 

• Like 2

Interesting.  

Not so much, people still drink straight from the bag.   I worked with a group of guys that were doing serious  weight lifting training for body building comps , and they would wander around work with a milk jug  drinking   skim milk straight from the bag all the time. Good source of protein I guess. 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow