• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

When I'm home I'm more likely to be lugging the kid around at the cocktail hour - and with a drink on board I find myself a little weaker. So I'm less likely to have one.

• Like 1

When I'm home I'm more likely to be lugging the kid around at the cocktail hour - and with a drink on board I find myself a little weaker. So I'm less likely to have one.

I see.

Well, yeah, that makes  you enjoy your cocktails even more when you can have them :)

IMG_0939.jpg

Negroni as a second cocktail.

IMG_0942.jpg

With the CSO packed away, tonights dinner was made in the Remoska. Chicken thighs, potatoes, onions, carrots and peppers in an ancient dijon sauce.  

• Like 7

The lady who is so precise when it comes to measurement managed to misgauge the amount needed for the bottles to be capped and left behind. How fortuitous (and smart!).

Have a great (and safe) trip home, all of you. I have, as always, enjoyed your island stay. Thank you so much.

p.s. Kerry - any chance that low/no sugar chocolate experimentation will happen back home perhaps? I have some TJ's dark and milk no sugar chocolate bars I bought for that neighbour (which I have not given her yet because they seemed so puny a gift) and was thinking I might try to use them to make filled chocolates of some kind if you think that would work?

The lady who is so precise when it comes to measurement managed to misgauge the amount needed for the bottles to be capped and left behind. How fortuitous (and smart!).

Have a great (and safe) trip home, all of you. I have, as always, enjoyed your island stay. Thank you so much.

p.s. Kerry - any chance that low/no sugar chocolate experimentation will happen back home perhaps? I have some TJ's dark and milk no sugar chocolate bars I bought for that neighbour (which I have not given her yet because they seemed so puny a gift) and was thinking I might try to use them to make filled chocolates of some kind if you think that would work?

If I can find the cocoa mass I know I have there somewhere - I shall work on it when I'm home.

• Like 1

Wow, just wow!  That is a closet full of fun! 

Thanks for sharing your Manitoulin adventure with us again.  It just doesn't feel like summer has started until you start posting all your wonderful creations in that tiny little kitchen :-)

Have a safe trip home and I look forward to seeing you unpack that closet in the fall!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_0904.jpg

Toasted struan bread with cheese with blackcurrant and raspberry preserves. This bread makes fabulous toast!

I'm surprised rotuts hasn't offered that the reason the bread toasts so wonderfully is actually the Steam Girl!!

Safe travels.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

""  I'm surprised rotuts hasn't offered that the reason the bread toasts so wonderfully is actually the Steam Girl!!  ""

yes I did

​I was the first one to suggests the actual mechanism for Fantastic Toast ( FT )

:raz: 

it was late in the CSB thread as I was very tardy to try toast in mine.

ask AnnaN

if just for toast and reheating, the CSB would be a steel at any price.

add just the CkTh's  and you get a priceless bonus.

lets review :   :raz:

CSO.jpg

:blink:

the steam comes from the actual bread in this case.  so it has to be fresh.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

A few assorted pictures from today.

IMG_0950.jpg

Ferry on it's way.

IMG_0951.jpg

Chicheemaun muffin (forgot picture before starting to eat) - nice pea meal bacon in there.

IMG_0952.jpg

Anna's breakfast.

IMG_0954.jpg

Kira's breakfast.

IMG_0956.jpg

Lighthouse that indicates that Tobermory is getting near.

• Like 5

Over in the breakfast thread there are claims that there is no such thing as leftover bacon. I cannot sure everybody there is such a thing because I watched Kerry eat the leftover bacon from Manitoulin as a snack on our trip down.

Me, I was so hungry and so tired when I got home that I sent out for Chinese! And damn it is good.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you both for another lovely trip, with inspiration as as well as laughs. I'm going to be boggling for a while over that last shot of the Closet o' Fun Stuff! :-D

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Fibber McGee could  take closet packing lessons from the two of you!  Thanks for letting us tag along, it is always a great ride.

I take absolutely no credit for the packing. That is Kerry's forte.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog