• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

As John Denver sang, "Some days are diamonds, some days are stone". I'm hoping for one of the diamonds today.

Incidentally those "two-bite" cheese muffins were perfect. The ratio of crispy-cheesy bits to tender muffin could not be improved upon.

I have quite a list of things I am hoping to accomplish today. So far I have cooked down my red currant jelly just enough to get a set I hope. I have also mixed up the dough for a loaf of Peter Reinhart's Struan and made a batch of the infamous single ingredient banana "ice cream".

image.jpg

As others have remarked it is an interesting icy dessert but it ain't ice cream. I think this batch would have benefited enormously from some toasted and chopped pecans and just a little honey.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I would love a recipe for kimchee potato salad. I have met very few potato salads I didn't iike.

Here you go. Scroll down and click on "spicy kimchi potato salad".

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Got any interesting plans for that lovely cauliflower?

And are you starting to work on cleaning out the fridge and pantry yet?

Care to give us a list of 'leftovers' when you do and get suggestions? (Not that I am particularly good at that!!!)

We have been a little more circumspect this time in the amount of food we will have to deal with. In terms of protein there is one more serving of shrimp, one more serving of scallops, a pork tenderloin and a few packages of chicken thighs. That pretty much takes care of the freezer in terms of stuff we need to use up.

The pantry will mostly be simply packed away until we return.

The fridge will present challenges in terms of dairy and a very few vegetables.

I am proud that we returned a boneless leg of lamb to the meat counter even though it was gorgeous and inexpensive! We also resisted a rather nice looking pork belly.

We still have some lovely Max Burt bacon and bacon bits but they will travel fine in the cooler if we don't get to eat them first.

Ouch! I just realized we have only three more dinners here - tonight, Friday and Saturday. Kerry will be eating out on Thursday ( I declined).

Edited to add

That lovely cauliflower will become roasted cauliflower on kimchi cream as part of this evening's meal.

Edited once again to change Max burnt bacon to Max Burt bacon

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

No burnt bacon. Not so yummy.

It would be such a shame to cast aspersions on Max Burt's bacon!

So the kimchee cream is made and the Struan is on its final proofing and should be in the oven shortly.

My 2004 eG Blog

Canadian skunks know the secret to the proper way to eat a frog... so they eat them all the time.

As disappointed as I was initially, in hindsight I think it is entirely for the best that nobody bit on that one... :biggrin: 

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Struan

image.jpg

And Kira's grilled cheese from the freshly baked bread.

• Like 15

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0882 (1).jpg

A Golden Dawn - sweet but quite palatable.

IMG_0887.jpg

Not quite the delight last night promised.

IMG_0880.jpg

A visit from the grandson of one of Kira's sitters - just before he got his butt totally stuck in our sous vide bucket! And after he got both feet in then fell over! What a delightful child - "I'll miss you Kira" he said on his way out.

• Like 13

A visit from the grandson of one of Kira's sitters - just before he got his butt totally stuck in our sous vide bucket!

What time/temp would you recommend for that?

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

The birthday cake for work today. Icebox cake made with the bourbon biscuit base baked in rounds.

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

Chantilly cream and canned cherry pie filling

IMG_0902.jpg

Chocolate curls. 

IMG_0897.jpg

The angel's share.

• Like 10

This may be premature but Kerry and Anna, thank you for taking us on your journey and for taking the time to post all of the pictures of your delicious beverages and food. I've had a great time reading about your adventures.

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A modest eww to your proposal. And thank you both so much for yet another vicarious island vacation for your readers. I don't know how you manage to cook and bake so much stuff in any given day, what with shopping expeditions (that include a relaxed lunch out), hospital hours and entertaining Kira. How much square footage of cabinet space does the liquor require? And do you drag the supply back home with you? Please don't tell me you use it all up the night before you leave. But that's the kind of genius and determination I have come to expect from the two of you.

• Like 4

image.jpg

So Kerry is off having dinner with a friend (I was invited but declined) so I did what I often do at home when I am alone and that is pull together whatever is available. I found some bacon in the fridge along with some turnips and there were onions on the floor (for lack of space anywhere else!) so I sauteed them all together sprinkled on a generous portion of hot Pimenton and voila-- dinner. And quite satisfactory it was too.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I had a lovely evening at Myra and Pierre's log home - there were 5 of us for dinner and it was pretty much home grown. 

IMG_0919.jpg

The lamb leg.

IMG_0921.jpg

Green beans, with shallots and tomatoes.

IMG_0922.jpg

Potatoes also from the garden.

IMG_0924.jpg

Cell phones are a little limited for this kind of picture - but the full moon was quite beautiful on the drive home.

Not however looking forward to call tomorrow with Haweater weekend starting up, Wiki Powwow and a full moon! Recipe for potential disaster. 

• Like 11