• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

IMG_0812.jpg

Kimchi potato salad and chicken in the CSO - life doesn't get any better than this!

IMG_0807.jpg

This little character was looking at me last time I poked my head in the fridge.

• Like 7

Kerry is sort of off today, which is like being a little bit pregnant. Actually she is on call for obstetrics which means we can go out but only so far.

I hope you rinsed the swaddling cloth.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

One hour to read and catch up...
Ok Anna I'm done sharing can you come back now. I feel that Kerry s too far. Just saying.
I hadn't had dinner nor breakfast yet and all those pictures make me hungry.
Here's what I did yesterday... 

:)

post-72196-0-59814200-1437916354 Image 1.jpg

post-72196-0-58729900-1437916375 Image 2.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Rotated photos per member request (log)
  • Like 10

Yes - indeed it's a cherry and lemony cream with a cherry jelly at the bottom. It's some of ontarios first cherries. They are tarty but lack fruit flavor.

For the wedding cake, it was for a gothic customer. We had to tame it down to a more appropriate level. The snake is made of chocolate and the flowers of gum paste.

Top tier is a home made praline mousseline

Middle is lemon cream

Final is a chocolate cream with a dark chocolate sponge.

Thank you for asking.

Enjoy the beautiful day

• Like 2

One hour to read and catch up...

Ok Anna I'm done sharing can you come back now. I feel that Kerry s too far. Just saying.

I hadn't had dinner nor breakfast yet and all those pictures make me hungry.

Here's what I did yesterday... And I don't care if they re not straight I don't know how to fix them.

:)

Amazing work! Kerry thinks I should emulate your cherry tart with the cherries I bought yesterday! I see your tart but raise you my kimchi potato salad!

This time next week we will have our feet up as we sail across to the mainland on the good ship Chi-Cheemaun.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

on the K.P.s.:

boil potatoes, cool.

add kimchee/mayo  

smoke green onion for garnish ?

more or less ?

Not quite.

The potatoes were done SV for 60 mins at 85C with a hunk of duck fat. (I spent an inordinate amount of time worrying about using a neutral oil and then slapped my head good and hard -- they are being dressed with KIMCHI -- who the hell will notice!) The dressing came from NYT (Melissa Clark). The SV'd potatoes were wiped clear of fat and moisture and while still hot were mixed with about 2/3 of the dressing. They should have been allowed to cool but we were hungry! Just before serving they were tossed in the rest of the dressing and garnished with green onion. AWESOME! Have a little of the dressing left and plan on using it to dress a baked potato to accompany tonight's protein. You can google for the recipe - Kimchi potato salad Melissa Clark.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Ever since Kerry returned from Spain I have hankered after pan con tomate. This was my attempt. It failed epically. Wrong bread, not high enough quality of garlic or tomato but the salt was excellent.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

It looks delicious.  Did you eat it?   We almost always eat my failures.

I ate it with regrets.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

A gift from one of the nurses.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Seeing the beets reminded me of a prank we pulled a couple of times in the northern Ren Faire kitchen before we started sharing it with a commercial venture in the afternoon.  The prank: cutting off the bottom of the beet and pushing it under the stove so that is looks like  a rat's tail sticking out.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

Anna opted for the kimchi potato salad dressing on her potato - more traditional for me.

IMG_0834.jpg

Not a perfect rendition - the mango came from frozen - but still pretty tasty.  I'm working in a different sticky rice as I think this one is really sushi rice.

• Like 7

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Lynne Rossetto Kasper's books, as well as her radio show. I've saved both of these; they will likely make an appearance soon. Wondering if I can sub cornbread for the bread slices on the bottom of the pudding? I don't really see why not.....in fact, could simply bake a very thin cornbread layer and build the pudding on top of it....

Tried the tomato pudding. I used fresh mozzarella, because it was what I had, and it did not do well -- baked up too rubbery, and was hard to cut. I'll go with something else, next time. I used a jar of my homecanned marinara sauce from last summer, which worked marvelously. I also baked a thin layer of cornbread for the bottom, as the gluten-free child was there for dinner. Truth be told, I'd just as soon forego the bread element entirely, or I would crumble the cornbread for a crust layer (this I baked in the 8 x 8 and just sliced in cubes and left in situ). The rest of it was excellent, but for the fact I forgot the staged baking, as I had a chicken in the oven roasting as well, and baked the whole thing for an hour at 350, uncovered. Which may have had something to do with the rubberiness of the cheese.

tomato pudding.JPG

tomato pudding 2.JPG

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

kayb

I agree on forgoing the bread element altogether. Don't think it adds much at all The recipe title made me think it would be much closer to a classic summer pudding where the bread is used to line a mold so I was a little disappointed to discover that it was entirely different. But now I really have a yen for the berry version of a summer pudding!

Edited to change putting to pudding

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog