• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

yep   those must have been the ones.

Ill have to look for them again.

Check the baking aisle as well as the cookie aisle.,,that's where they hide down here.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I will never judge a tomato sandwich, but, I don't like cheese either...HOWEVER, I've never tried it.

I need to point out that you're both missing the lettuce part.  :raz:

I don't see the mayo on the sandwich. Mayo is critical! And I will speak up for pimiento cheese on a bacon and tomato sandwich. Lettuce is optional.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I don't see the mayo on the sandwich. Mayo is critical! And I will speak up for pimiento cheese on a bacon and tomato sandwich. Lettuce is optional.

But you see this is a house divided! Misguided Kerry thinks that Miracle Whip is mayo. I on the other hand think it is a non-food product. If I asked I am sure Hellmann's would appear in the refrigerator but I use so little of it. ... It would appear on a BLT if I built it with lettuce. ( I am also capable of making my own mayonnaise but it's a little like cutting up the whole elephant for one lousy sandwich.)

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So for some considerable time I have been wanting to make Boston brown bread. Yesterday I bought a can of coffee purely for the can. Imagine my dismay when I opened it and found this:

image.jpg

Sheesh. Who knew that coffee cans no longer had metal lids!

But I am not easily defeated:

image.jpg

Mixed up the dough and voilà:

image.jpg

This particular recipe is from the Breads volune of The Good Cook series. It will steam now for approximately three hours. Do not look for baked beans to make an appearance.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

But you see this is a house divided! Misguided Kerry thinks that Miracle Whip is mayo. I on the other hand think it is a non-food product. If I asked I am sure Hellmann's would appear in the refrigerator but I use so little of it. ... It would appear on a BLT if I built it with lettuce. ( I am also capable of making my own mayonnaise but it's a little like cutting up the whole elephant for one lousy sandwich.)

I too am a Miracle Whip girl and can not abide the taste of Hellmann's but have discovered Cain's.  It is ethereal though available in a limited geographic area.

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

So for some considerable time I have been wanting to make Boston brown bread. Yesterday I bought a can of coffee purely for the can. Imagine my dismay when I opened it and found this:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sheesh. Who knew that coffee cans no longer had metal lids!

But I am not easily defeated:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Mixed up the dough and voilà:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This particular recipe is from the Breads volune of The Good Cook series. It will steam now for approximately three hours. Do not look for baked beans to make an appearance.

But ... but ... baked beans and brown bread are Saturday night supper!!  And did you put raisins or dates in your brown bread?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpg

Very satisfactory lunch of leftover lamb chop and mezgaldi.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

But ... but ... baked beans and brown bread are Saturday night supper!!  And did you put raisins or dates in your brown bread?  Inquiring minds want to know.

I would love to be the kind of person who could invent a food allergy! I would tell everyone I am allergic to beans of all descriptions except green beans! Lima beans, wax beans, brown beans, black beans, white beans,…… Huge food sensitivity to them. They simply offend all my senses and you can add those silly little lentil things in there too.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm on your side of the Hellmans' vs. Miracle Whip debate. And making one's own is not such a production with the immersion blender....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

So offended at the idea of beans I missed your question on the raisins. Yes there are raisins in there.

My 2004 eG Blog

And, how do you pour it?  

I remember the first time I saw when I lived in Canada.  I had the same reaction everyone does, but it really makes so much more sense than the huge gallon jugs.  We had a little milk pitcher and a little doo dad for cutting off a small piece of the corner of the bag.  The milk just flowed out in a steady stream. 

• Like 4

Oooh, that tomato pudding looks absolutely scrumptious.  

Boy howdy.  How have I missed the recipe before now?  Time to break that book out again, and see what else I've been missing.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Beans and Grains!

I won't be fighting you for that one!

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Breakfast. Boston brown bread, really nice cream cheese and lots and lots of pepper to jolt the taste buds back to life.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

For those of us who don't have the book but love the looks of this tomato dish.

Click
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks!

It does look delicious.

Is there any reason why one shouldn't peel the tomatoes?  I'm not a peel fan.

No reason that I can think of. Be careful with quantities here. Try to find a DEEP pan and even so put it on a baking sheet to catch any overflow.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog