• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

Anna - what sprang to mind was that the spatchcock exposed areas for maximum browning but perhaps lost you essential juices/fond bits  for the dressing?

I am quite sure that is one of the issues. However the chicken was simply too big to tolerate a high temperature without being spatch cocked. It's a little silly to attempt recipes from something like the Zuni Cafe Cookbook on an Island were even shallots are hit or miss. But there is usually only Kerry and me to please so we can have great fun while behaving somewhat foolishly.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

We made a stop in Canadian Tire in Espanola enroute to Sudbury - saw a few interesting odds and ends in the kitchen department and the seasonal area. We considered the funky turtle light for our little garden - but opted to leave him. 

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715 (1).jpg

Breakfast from the drive though at Mickey D's.

IMG_0717.jpg

Stop Restaurant Supply had this interesting non electric pizzelle maker this time around. 

IMG_0718.jpg

Homesense had a couple of these Tyvek 'brown paper bags'.

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Also at Homesense - we pulled out this huge coffee table book thinking it was about bread.  Purses - some really ugly purses! I guess baguettes are little bags?

• Like 4

So far, so good - but I do admit to being a bigger fan of wheated bourbon.

Noah's Mill is my favorite sipping bourbon (if VanWinkel isn't available, and it almost never is).

Very late lunch - at Okinawa Sushi in Sudbury. 

DSCN5772.jpg

A sad lonely piece of Inari - could have used a little sprucing up.

DSCN5773.jpg

Miso soup and seaweed salad.

DSCN5776.jpg

Warm saki for Anna.

DSCN5777.jpg

Coconut shrimp.

DSCN5779.jpg

Calamari of course!

DSCN5778.jpg

Chicken fried udon.

DSCN5780.jpg

DSCN5782.jpg

Tempura.

DSCN5781.jpg

A very interesting item - "deep fried milk".  It was very tasty - and we were looking up recipes while we were eating - no sign of sugar in them but it was quite sweet. When I was leaving I asked if they added sugar to it - "yup" he said "sugar and ice cream"!
Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 5

It looks like you had grand fun shopping! I'm glad you looked into the book and told us about it. I was wondering about an entire coffee-table cookbook dedicated to one form of bread alone. :-D

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh, by the way:

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-34671-0-13701100-1437264008.jpg

Those folding stepstools are wonderful, but beware of their pinch points when you're unfolding and folding them. They can be especially vicious when you're unfolding them; we've both been bitten from pushing down on the top of ours to flatten it quickly.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh, by the way:

http://forums.egullet.org/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-34671-0-13701100-1437264008.jpg

Those folding stepstools are wonderful, but beware of their pinch points when you're unfolding and folding them. They can be especially vicious when you're unfolding them; we've both been bitten from pushing down on the top of ours to flatten it quickly.

I have exactly the same folding stepstool, I think. But I adore mine and don't think I have ever been bitten. Not sure what you mean, Smithy? 

I keep mine at the end of a counter run where there is a bit of space before the patio door. It fits there perfectly and doesn't actually need to be folded most of the time, so maybe it doesn't get many opportunities to bite me.    :laugh:

Also, Kerry and Anna - I love Canadian Tire. I think they could use the motto "keep Canadian Tire weird."  Because they really are a bit weird. But it works. I can never stay away from there for long. And I often find stuff there that I really like. Their store here is the smallest square footage in the whole country or something and they are crazily creative when it comes to stacking merchandise. They are supposed to take over the defunct Target store and I hope that happens because I get a serious kink in my neck every time I shop in their current store. 

• Like 2

That calamari looks like onion rings to me. I always look for tentacles- they've my favorite.. Was it good?

I am so jealous of your McDonalds hash browns. I LOVE those things- crispy, salty, hot and delicious!

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1

Did you buy a food processor and a table top juicer?

Food processor $8 at Jarret Thrift store. Love those Little Pro's.

Juicer from Homesense - a little more than $8 - cause everyone needs a thousand pound juicer to get the juice out of that one lemon for one's evening cocktail!

• Like 6

Is that a citrus juicer next to the Cuisinart?

Indeed it is - there were a couple of different brands of them at the store - we played with each kind and this was the one that felt substantial and seemed to come down true on the funnel. 

Oh, by the way:

Good to know - obviously Anna has learned that lesson as she was warning me when I grabbed it. This one is taller than the others I have purchased in the past (I have one in the van that I offer to Anna to help her get into the seat!) - I can get to the top of all cupboards easily with it.

That calamari looks like onion rings to me. I always look for tentacles- they've my favorite.. Was it good?

I am so jealous of your McDonalds hash browns. I LOVE those things- crispy, salty, hot and delicious!

They were truly calamari - but the frozen kind that all small northern ontario restaurants that serve calamari buy. I've had worse!

The hash browns were suffering from oxidized oil I think - had an acrid flavour I don't care for.

First a little tale.

The day before leaving for Manitoulin hubby and I were in Scarborough with the rug rat visiting a physio who will be doing some intensive work with her after I get back home. We took the opportunity to drop around to Richters Herbs in Goodwood to pick up some herbs that I needed if I was going to make things from 'The Last Course' cookbook. 

I stood in front of the lemon verbena with the woman from the greenhouse - she said "just let me go out back and get them from there" - I kinda wondered what was wrong with the plants in front of me - but got distracted wandering around picking up other herbs and when she gave me two plants from the back after a considerable wait - I plunked them in my little box, paid for all and left. 

As I was dividing the plants up later that evening - leaving some for hubby to plant in the herb garden at home - I realized that I didn't have any lemon verbena - instead I had two plants called Bakial Skullcap. 

Many phone calls ensued - offers for me to return the plants and pick up new ones (not driving 6 hours each way for that), perhaps when I returned home (nope - I bought the damn plants so I could cook with them up here), suggested perhaps it was my fault for not looking at the plant markers when I was handed them...

So finally they agreed to send a plant if I paid the postage - they'd ship it that week...  two weeks later, no plant - so more phone calls ensued and on Friday at long last - I received my lemon verbena. (and wasn't charged for postage)

IMG_0701.jpg

So here she be!

IMG_0702.jpg

A few leaves in some tea for a tea cake.

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Lemon verbena infused tea cakes!

• Like 8

Good morning. Slowly recovering from a long, busy but most enjoyable day in Sudbury yesterday. Busy work this morning portioning the chicken thighs we bought yesterday into meal size packages, vacuum sealing, labeling and freezing. I also portioned up the lamb chops, vacuum sealed with some butter and put them to swim in the sous vide for a couple of hours. These can then be chilled down and thrown into the fridge or freezer. I have never been very confident about how long they can safely be held in the fridge so I have a tendency to freeze them no matter what.

I also threw together the dough for a loaf of challah from Secrets of a Jewish Baker.

image.jpg

No energy for braiding so this will be a section pan loaf.

Kerry has been called into emerg so once my chores are done I will put my feet up and dip into some of the books I bought yesterday.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I am a big lemon verbena fan. Finely chopped in a fresh salad is a tasty use. We did it in winter with apple, a touch of acid & nut oil, but might be nice with stone fruit in summer.

• Like 2

I am a big lemon verbena fan. Finely chopped in a fresh salad is a tasty use. We did it in winter with apple, a touch of acid & nut oil, but might be nice with stone fruit in summer.

Lemon verbena is new to me but the smell is captivating. I am reminded of the first time I smelled lime leaves. Different smells of course but both exhilarating. Both make me want to cook something!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0732.jpg

At the behest of Anna I made a batch of bourbon cream cookies this morning. Anna and I both have fond memories of these cookies from when we were young. These are a perfectly nice cookie - but not what we remember.

I think the cookie part of these would make an excellent chocolate wafer to be used to make an icebox cake.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3