• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

Whatcha gonna do with all those mushrooms you bought? Any specific plans?

Well the creminis were intended for the faux gras which now awaits some nuts. The portobellas lacked any specific intent but since we both love mushrooms I doubt they will stick around for long.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There was beer left in the fridge after Anna's Guinness cake - so it made sense to use it up making more guinness cakes for work today in Wiki. I split it!

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Breakfast this am - rethermallized scones straight from the freezer to the steam oven - 400 steam bake for 8 minutes - as good as new. Raspberry fruit spread and a slathering of butter.

IMG_0610.jpg

• Like 5

Breakfast this am - rethermallized scones straight from the freezer to the steam oven - 400 steam bake for 8 minutes - as good as new. Raspberry fruit spread and a slathering of butter.

This is making rotuts happy!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

""  as good as new ""

the CSB by-line

should be. If there is anything that would convince me to take it home it would be its ability to reheat leftovers.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning.

So almost out of habit since I have no real plans for the day I began mixing up a batch of no knead dough. Would love to be able to make it into a baguette/batard shape to use for crostini/bruschetta. Will cogitate on that while it autolyzes.

Also on the counter are a few overly ripe bananas that have reached the perfect degree of funk for banana bread. There is sour cream in the refrigerator so I have taken out some butter to soften up and will tackle banana bread shortly.

Kerry has gone off to Wiki with her student so I shall not see her until late this afternoon.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

my personal view is that almost all cake(s) do better with vanilla ice cream

there is one exception  in my view 

cakes with ginger :  they do better with whipped cream.

just whipped cream  :  no vanilla, no sugar :  just whipped cream

I am also very partial to hot lemon sauce (cornstarch, water, butter, lemon juice) aka snot sauce.  Wonder how lemon sauce AND whipped cream would be...

• Like 1

I am also very partial to hot lemon sauce (cornstarch, water, butter, lemon juice) aka snot sauce. Wonder how lemon sauce AND whipped cream would be...

Lemon sauce appeals. Lemon sauce and whipped cream not so much. I expressed a desire for some crème fraîche which elicited nothing but snorts from Kerry. On an island where finding a red onion is a challenge….

Edited to remove duplication

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

""  its ability to reheat leftovers ""

and its ability to make  perfect  toast

esp. if you bake your own, or have really really fresh bread.

it how the CSB handles moisture and browning at the same time.

Edited by rotuts (log)

image.jpg

Slow day today both here on the Island and on eG! Banana bread is out of the oven and bread dough has had its final folds.

Having spoken of the Zuni Café cookbook I have been dipping into the reviews of it on Amazon.com. I would fight to the death anyone who tried to take it away from me and yet I realize there isn't a great deal I have cooked from it. I must be one of the few people who are aware of the chicken and bread salad recipe and yet have never made it! Perhaps I should remedy that while I am here. There is a lovely chicken in the freezer from Max Burt's farm.

But more immediate is tonight's dinner. I have set up the SV and a little later I will rethermalize one of the steaks I cooked a few days ago that is in the freezer and see if I can whip up a salad to go along with it. Kerry can sear the steak on the little green egg and dinner should be easy peasy.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

[quote name="Anna N" post="2023333" timestamp="1436470329"

So I am looking at the original recipe in the book The Last Course. It calls simply for a 9 x 5 loaf pan or a 6 cup Bundt pan. No questions at all about the size of the loaf pan. This leaves me thinking it was never tested in a loaf pan and it is illustrated with a cake made in a Bundt pan. I am not making excuses because if I had read the recipe I had linked to then I would have poured the batter into two 8 x 4 loaf pans. But still....

About that Stout Cake. It seems that it has filtered through several sites, and may have originally been the Grammercy Tavern Stout Cake which was attributed to Claudia Fleming. It has also been tweaked by Melissa Clark and Smitten Kitchen. The source I have credits it to "The Last Supper" instead of the "Last Course." If inconsistency can be a consistent flaw, that appears to be the size of the pan. My recipe calls for one 7 x 5 loaf pan or a 6 cup bundt pan. The 7 x 5 size seemed suspiciously small, so I used the biggest loaf pan on hand, which was approximately 9 x 5. The cake rose just a bit over the top but did not drip or spill out. A good thing, given the possibilities.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 2

A southern friend of mine puts cake in a bowl and pours milk over it. He is otherwise a sensible fellow.

This is probably one of those times I should just quietly walk away without saying I've done the very same thing myself... but, ummm...

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Interesting. If you add up the volumes in the original Claudia Fleming recipe they amount to at least 6 cups before any account is taken of the leavening. And she still calls for a 9x5 loaf pan or a 6 cup bundt pan. So I still question how much testing was done.

My 2004 eG Blog

Lemon sauce appeals. Lemon sauce and whipped cream not so much. I expressed a desire for some crème fraîche which elicited nothing but snorts from Kerry. On an island where finding a red onion is a challenge….

Edited to remove duplication

Can you get whipping cream and buttermilk? If so, you can make your own crème fraiche. 1 cup cream mixed with 2 tablespoons of buttermilk, set on a counter in a covered glass jar for 8-24 hours should do it.

• Like 3

IMG_0611.jpg

Choices for lunch at nursing home today 

DSCN5730.jpg

Therefore the PA student and I opted for the Spruce Cafe and Bakery - chilli with a bun and a nice cup of assam tea. 

IMG_0614.jpg

After lunch we checked out the old mission (from the mid 1800's) and then down onto the spit. 

IMG_0617.jpg

Spearmint grows wild near the water.

IMG_0618.jpg

The view looking back at the mission on the hill.

IMG_0622.jpg

Angelica - a bit overgrown for candying.

IMG_0619.jpg

Lemon balm growing on the spit.

IMG_0625.jpg

Lemon balm now growing in my planter on the balcony.

• Like 16

Can you get whipping cream and buttermilk? If so, you can make your own crème fraiche. 1 cup cream mixed with 2 tablespoons of buttermilk, set on a counter in a covered glass jar for 8-24 hours should do it.

That's a trick we know - but Anna wanted it NOW - so didn't help us sadly.

Looking at the menus for the nursing home I begin to understand Canada's interest in assisted suicide.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I agree, Anna (and with you too, Kerry). I used to eat with my father occasionally at his retirement home. It was hit and miss as to freshness and quality (and definitely a miss on seasoning). I took him out to his favorite pub as often as I could to make sure he actually continued to eat, and eat well. I drew the line (on joining him for din-din) though when he went into the Perley nursing facility - the meals were designed to a) make sure no one wanted to eat them and b) to make sure they got nothing but bland, colourless, non-plentiful mush if they did deign to eat. No wonder I was told that the Ontario stats say that from the time someone enters a nursing home, the average life expectancy is 2 months. They all want out. :angry: He lasted 5 months before it all killed him - and that was with me bringing him at least one meal a day.

On another note, thanks so much for the pics of the lemon balm, angelica and spearmint. I want those in my back yard.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

Was able to shape my no-knead dough into two batards. One became garlic bread for tonight and the other is safely stashed in the freezer for a future meal of Zuni Café chicken and bread salad.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning.

We are off to try our luck at the farmers market once again. We are nothing if not persistent. Other than that no real plans for the day. Kerry is on call so I may just put my feet up and read all day. I am rediscovering the Zuni Café cookbook. On the other hand if there is something really exciting at the market……

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog