• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

Headed off to Burt's Farm to see what was available. Ran in to Gore Bay to have a bite of lunch before our return to this end of the island.

Lunch was at Buoy's Eatery.

DSCN5702.jpg

Broiled whitefish for Anna with a white wine garlic scape sauce sitting on potato wedges. 

DSCN5701.jpg

DSCN5703.jpg

Panzerotti "Max" - after Max Burt - shaved beef, butter sauteed mushrooms and a few assorted other things that I have forgotten.

DSCN5704.jpg

DSCN5705.jpg

DSCN5707.jpg

A lovely place for lunch. 

• Like 5

That's unfortunate.

We found a good organic PYO farm on 19th in Markham.

Yeah but even the worst strawberries can be improved by roasting! Not the same, I know, but good.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Haven't started our cocktail yet - but still out of focus!

On your way home we stopped in for a quick visit with the folks with whom we pressed cider in the fall. We needed to drop some chocolate and some apple brandy. We left with some alcoholic pear and apple cider and some home made balsamic vinegar (which will have to be my next project)!

IMG_0561.jpg

We arrived back home with a lovely Max Burt Chicken, a top sirloin (picanha), some espresso beans, Max Burt Maple syrup, the cider and the balsamic.  

• Like 4

Just wanted to add that the green stuff beside my carbonized fish was described as "Caesar salad". Apparently to qualify one needs only romaine. All other ingredients are optional.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have purchase local strawberries three times now and have yet to have any sweet ones. They are on the tart side and have little flavour. Others in the area in which I live have said the same thing. Maybe it is just an off year for them. The berries, that is.

I have had Ontario strawberries that made me swoon -- these are not them!

It's been too wet.  The strawbs look gorgeous, but they are watery and not very flavourful.  I made not very good strawberry jam (stil better than Smuckers) with the bunch we picked up in Cambridge last week.

Anna and I have been busy today remaking two of the YouTube videos for the EZtemper in which she had noticed a few glaring errors! Anna sat up on the dining table with a glass of wine and monitored the camera and tried to catch my attention each time I started to screw up.

She very nearly sat on her wine tumbler - producing a fair amount of good footage (when we forgot to turn the camera off) where she described her grandparents placing her on the kitchen table to remove glass from her butt when she was a child and someone thought it would be a good idea to put a Maclean's bottle in the tub for her to play with.  

We are just waiting for the rug rat to return and cogitating upon our cocktail for this evening.

Shelby - it's about 1800 km - 19 hours and change driving.  We'll put the coffee on!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 6

IMG_0568.jpg

Went back though our old cocktail novice threads for inspiration - found 'The Brothers Perryman' that I had enjoyed when I attended my first Heartland Gathering at Manifesto in Kansas City.  Still a favourite! No oranges with rinds to be flamed so settled for a tooth pick of orange oil.

• Like 2

19 hours ?  not bad.  steal borrow one of the Google-Bug-Cars and let it do the driving.

you can catch up on your Knitting, and etc.

they gotta have WiFi, so take your tablet along.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Shelby, if you head east and turn north at St. Louis, you will almost be at  my door after you arrive in Iowa.  Pick me up and I can hold the ball of yarn while you knit.

• Like 5

DSCN5718.jpg

A perfect charcuterie and cheese dinner.  

The only exception to the perfection was the iberico we bought at Wegmans - it was a horrifying experience watching the woman who was the 'expert' in slicing by hand hacking the pieces off the leg while I terrorized her across the counter. She didn't seem to think the first slice was the angel's share (and at $98 US a lb I bloody well wasn't going to pay for the dried piece from the outside) and the inch long slices were scalloped thick and thin. My suggestions to improve her carving were not well received. I really wanted to just run screaming in the other direction knowing I was going a pay a premium for it. Like a proper polite Canadian I paid for it!

Now Premier Gourmet had a nice piece of iberico  - they cut it very thin by machine which resulted in perfect slices (and for a whole lot less money)!

• Like 10

Are those marinated mushrooms?

That tableful of goodies is exactly what my late father just loved to eat. When he lived at the care centre I would go to the Italian shop in Edmonton and load up on his favourite meats and cheese along with some nice bread. Then the sliced tomatoes and cucs which he totally ignored. I was always amazed at how much he could eat.

• Like 3

Are those marinated mushrooms?

That tableful of goodies is exactly what my late father just loved to eat. When he lived at the care centre I would go to the Italian shop in Edmonton and load up on his favourite meats and cheese along with some nice bread. Then the sliced tomatoes and cucs which he totally ignored. I was always amazed at how much he could eat.

The mushrooms are from Moosewood at Home (garlic, lemon, basil and parsley). I was telling Kerry how much I enjoy a casual meal like this. We are on opposite ends of the eating-speed paradigm. I eat slowly enough to drive many to distraction. Kerry can finish a meal in the time it takes me to pick up my utensils! Casual spreads accommodate both of us.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog