• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

So we finally made it to a grocery store and stocked up on the basics.

image.jpg

Closeup of the really important stuff!

image.jpg

Dinner will be late tonight but we have duelling Anovas working.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The red one is mine and it's far the better one!

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ignore her - mine's the best!

IMG_0523.jpg

The best laid plans of mice and men - we left this negroni aging on a bit of wood in our closet here. We figured as long as we had ice then we'd be all set with a cocktail day one. Well - there we were stuck in the cabin - unable to reach our pre aged cocktail and we had to make do. But we are 'home' now!

• Like 10

And there was enough left for a second!

DSCN5654.jpg

Sous vided and Egged pork chops, sugar snaps - sautéed in grape seed oil and dressed with walnut oil and maldon salt and potatoes cooked sous vide with home made butter.

• Like 7

Oh, you're braver than I!

I was teasing you. It is not really smuggling. You can bring groceries across the border without too much issue. Most of the time we come back with much more than our limit and we are just waved through. This time we perhaps pushed it a little far and were told to go in and pay taxes on the excess. The taxes were $10 but because we had to produce receipts I got in trouble for bringing back a product called weed and feed which apparently is illegal in Canada. But he neither confiscated it nor ranted about it but was polite and suggested I don't do it again.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lovely sugar snaps.  And, for the record, your meal isn't late, it's right on time --I never eat until around 8 pm my time --I know, blasphemy. :)

Thank you. My normal dinner can fall anywhere between 4:30 PM and 6:30 PM but much later than that and I become extremely hangry!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

A somewhat deformed loaf of sandwich bread. I used one third whole wheat flour in one of my standard sandwich bread recipes. This is mainly for Kira as she enjoys toast in the morning before going off with her caregiver. I am still staring at my new toy which I have established does work. I am trying to decide what experiment I wish to undertake. I am quite surprised that no one has shown the least interest in what it is or offered their opinion of its value as a kitchen appliance.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm curious. I was going to guess but I'm pretty sure it's not the pressure fondue pot it looks like... so I didn't guess.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpg

And because I positively had to try Kerry's rhubarb concoction it ended up as my breakfast. Kerry suggested it might be great with whipped cream but that early in the morning? It was still very good. Loved the hit of ginger.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I too wondered what it was, but was embarrassed to ask. I think I was just hoping that andiesenji would post to tell us as whatever it is, she probably has 6 of them.  :cool:  Good things come to those who wait?

• Like 6

So you didn't really think that the "ladies who lunch" could actually drive by the flea market and not stop in, did you? Nor could you expect that once in the flea market they could resist a new toy:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Its a Ronco Poutine Maker

• Like 12

One look at that and I thought "ah, a thingamajig whatchamacallit"! In other words, I have no idea but did think it looked like an early model slow cooker.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Its a Ronco Poutine Maker

Close. Very close. Here's your first hint.....it is of Czechoslovakian origin.

My 2004 eG Blog

I have been meaning to thank you for all these pictures of the Lebanon bologna. It doesn't look like bologna I am used to seeing - it looks more like summer sausage to me. I dislike (with a passion) the bologna that I always see in grocery stores (a pasty, homogenized, overgrown hotdog-like mass) and so while I have read your previous conversations about the sweet and the savoury versions, I just could not imagine liking either of them (and definitely not the sweet kind). I do like summer sausage on occasion however so this stuff looks decidedly more palatable than I imagined. Thanks for educating me.

hmm Czech ... cabbage roll maker?

(p.s. nope .. I cheated and found what looks a lot like it maybe? http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1407158/koolatron-total-chef-czech-cooker.jsp?skuId=koolatron+total+chef+czech+cooker&search=koolatron+total+chef+czech+cooker&submit-search=web-ta-keyword - Koolatron Total Chef Czech Cooker?)

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 4