• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

Start spreading the news. We are on our way north. Just stopped in Barrie for breakfast at a place called Cottage Canoe. Will post more shortly.

• Like 14

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Have a safe trip, Kerry and Anna. I hope the weather will be great while you are up there this time and the emergencies few and far between so Kerry can enjoy your sojourn as much as possible. I look forward to your reports of life on Manitoulin - as always.

• Like 1

I can't believe it's already this time of year!!!!  Yay!!!  Cocktails with Kerry and Anna!!!!

Indeed, and maybe more methode rotuts.

Edit:  though hopefully not while driving.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yay, one of my favourite summer-time events!  

Is everybody and everything in one car? I bet it's pretty well loaded up!  :smile:

The weather forecast doesn't look too bad, hope it stays that way or improves. And I hope the residents of Manitoulin are not too accident-prone, so that Kerry isn't too busy at the hospital/clinic. 

• Like 4

We have just stopped in Espanola to pick up a few groceries. Another 30 minutes and we should be in Little Current. Then we will have an opportunity, I hope, to tell you a little about our plans for the next four weeks. Gail Gand and Molly Katzen will figure prominently.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So we are here now in a tiny, charming cottage right on the water. We shall be here for two days as the townhouse where we usually stay has other occupants.

While Kerry feeds the rug rat I will try to keep you all amused for a minute or two.

Breakfast in Barrie:

image.jpg

Toasted Western with home fries for me

image.jpg

Breakfast sandwich with home fries for Kerry

image.jpg

Pancakes for Kira.

I am guessing there is a shortage of salt in Barrie as none found its way into our breakfasts.

When my iPhone is charged I will take photographs of the kitchen we will have for the next two days.

And Deryn, nope no visits from either Gail or Mollie but we will be diving into their books for inspiration.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0507.jpg

We are at a bit of a disadvantage not being in the regular digs yet - so we are making do with things we have in the car. Dorothy Parker gin, Cucumber soda and lime. Managed to get some ice from the owner of the cabin.

• Like 9

attachicon.gifIMG_0507.jpg

We are at a bit of a disadvantage not being in the regular digs yet - so we are making do with things we have in the car. Dorothy Parker gin, Cucumber soda and lime. Managed to get some ice from the owner of the cabin.

Make sure Anna does her homework.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Yay, one of my favourite summer-time events!  

Is everybody and everything in one car? I bet it's pretty well loaded up!  :smile:

The weather forecast doesn't look too bad, hope it stays that way or improves. And I hope the residents of Manitoulin are not too accident-prone, so that Kerry isn't too busy at the hospital/clinic. 

One car - not as overloaded as it has been in previous years - we were actually able to shoe horn in the kid at the end!

• Like 2

As promised some photos of the kitchen we have for the next day or so. Not a lot will be attempted until we get settled in the townhouse. It is amazing how much funtionality and storage has been incorporated into such a tiny space.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited to add

In the coffee box are herbs from my daughter's garden which we will plant at the townhouse.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

If Gail and Mollie knew what they were missing, I am sure they would both be right up to visit you! Perhaps we should work on that for next year.

In the meantime, I look forward to what you will do with their recipes, etc. And I am glad to see you arrived safely.

• Like 1

Braved the mosquitoes this evening to get this picture out the front of the cottage.

IMG_0510.jpg

And with that will bid you an early good night. After a long day of driving to get here - we are ready to turn in.

• Like 16

image.jpg

Good morning! A very simple breakfast for me today. Cambozola on store-bought bread with a drizzle of wild flower honey.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

A sandwich which did not photograph well but went down a treat. Leftover chicken thigh, sautéed apple chunks and a sprinkling of honey roasted almonds.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog