• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Cabbage

gfweb

Craig LaBan, the excellent Philly Inquirer food critic, gave high praise to a roasted cabbage side dish at a new BYOB.  Sounded so good some experimentation was in order.

Red cabbage roasted at 450 F for 20 minutes in the Breville.  Sweet and nutty, very soft, but still needs a knife to cut. Peel off the outer desicated leaf before serving.

003.jpg

Green cabbage, same conditions. Nuttier and just a little less sweet. I also tried roasting wrapped in foil... not as nice.

004.jpg

Green cabbage cooked at 180F sousvide for 24 hours then browned in butter. Too firm, not as sweet as oven roasted. Maybe cook hotter next time.

005.jpg

The roasted cabbage were fine alone, but nice with ranch dressing. I imagine a savory bacon dressing  would be even better.

Overall oven roasted green cabbage was the winner.

Anybody have experience with this?

• Like 5

I am not sure if you are interested in a braised  (roasted) cabbage, but I have made this recipe a few times and adore it. I have even served it for a dinner party and people loved it. From Molly Stevens book, All About Braising. Recipe is called World's Best Braised Cabbage. The one thing I change is to add more stock! At least 1 cup, maybe more, depending on size of cabbage and amount of carrots. And maybe a bit less oil. 

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/11/worlds-best-braised-cabbage-2.html

However, my apologies if you are looking for straight roasted cabbage w/o added braising liquid. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 3

I like doing this with radicchio. Except I cut as if to quarter, but not all the way and spread the head out like a flower, cut side down in a pan with a weight to initially press it. In this case I use a preheated saucepan as a weight.

Must say that red cabbage looks tasty. 

• Like 1

Like radtek I have grilled raddichio and romaine and both are amazingly good. Must try cabbage.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am not sure if you are interested in a braised  (roasted) cabbage, but I have made this recipe a few times and adore it. I have even served it for a dinner party and people loved it. From Molly Stevens book, All About Braising. Recipe is called World's Best Braised Cabbage. The one thing I change is to add more stock! At least 1 cup, maybe more, depending on size of cabbage and amount of carrots. And maybe a bit less oil. 

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2008/11/worlds-best-braised-cabbage-2.html

However, my apologies if you are looking for straight roasted cabbage w/o added braising liquid. 

I agree about the recipe.  I use a bit less oil and a scosh more stock.  I wasn't going to mention it since you seemed interested in roasted cabbage, but since the door was opened ....

• Like 2

... Shel

Brussels Sprouts seem to qualify as tiny cabbages and they are delicious roasted.    (DH drowns his in a curry sauce to block out the taste...)

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My mom likes to roast cabbage often. Except she insists on calling it "sauerkraut" for some reason.  :rolleyes:  :laugh:

She roasts a nice hunk of pork first, then adds the rinsed sauerkraut with some diced onion, a wee bit of brown sugar (my aunt uses shredded carrots instead of the brown sugar when she makes it), and caraway seed. She'll add some water too so it's all juicy. You need the juice for the dumplings which are made last on the stove-top.

Them's good eats, folks.  :wink:

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

based on the surface of the two first cab's  did you roast as a 'slice' as pictured  ?

Ill try this soon with a comparison between the BVXL and the CSB

love cabbage, never get to it unless in a braise w some apples

nice idea the Ranch

i have TJ's Greek Feta dressing always on hand

but love Ranch.

thanks for the Demo.

BTW  anything on the cabbage before the roast ?  or straight up ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

I cant say i have roasted cabbage whole or in quarters, but i do roast and saute chopped cabbage and combine with browned butter and egg noodles for a polish/Slovak dish called Haluski. We Also have some Irish blood in the family so around St Patty's day we make Haluski with shredded or sliced corned beef added into the dish.

• Like 2

gfweb, I just got a green cabbage today in my CSA box and have been wondering what to do with it. I'll try roasting it. However, your green cabbage looks like a Savoy while mine is a regular one and I find the Savoy doesn't take as long to cook. Just to clarify - is yours a Savoy?

gfweb, I just got a green cabbage today in my CSA box and have been wondering what to do with it. I'll try roasting it. However, your green cabbage looks like a Savoy while mine is a regular one and I find the Savoy doesn't take as long to cook. Just to clarify - is yours a Savoy?

Really? Hmm.  In my hands and with what I do to them Savoy cabbage usually takes LONGER to cook than "normal" green cabbage.

Can one accomplish something similar (to these roast cabbages) on the stove top ONLY?  

Would pan-fried cabbage fall within the topic at hand? (maybe followed by a braise - or not)

Really? Hmm.  In my hands and with what I do to them Savoy cabbage usually takes LONGER to cook than "normal" green cabbage.

Really? I haven't cooked a regular one in a long time so maybe my memory is faulty. Anyway, I'm hoping gfweb will answer my question.

Mine was a regular green cabbage

Can one accomplish something similar (to these roast cabbages) on the stove top ONLY?  

Would pan-fried cabbage fall within the topic at hand? (maybe followed by a braise - or not)

Perhaps if sliced into thin wedges...steamed like a dumpling first  and  then seared ?

Perhaps if sliced into thin wedges...steamed like a dumpling first  and  then seared ?

Quite possibly!  Heh, when we "toast"/brown sauerkraut in the pan it would be sort-of similar, in that regard, I think – especially with the juices etc (if it has not been rinsed) caramelizing somewhat.

• Like 1