• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aquafaba - Chickpea water turns into meringue when whipped.

cdh

This stuff has popped up on my radar recently, and I don't see any discussion on it here.  IT seems that chickpea canning liquid plus a good beating turns into a air filled protein matrix that does the job of egg white meringue in a lot of applications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kExpx2BzIOQ

Anybody here done anything cool with it?

• Like 3

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I am, as the Brits would say, gobsmacked by this one.  Watched the video with the look of distaste on my mouth...I could tell. Don't know why.  It just seemed  sooooo bizarre.  And yet, chickpeas are my favoritest in the world almost.

Want to try the chocolate mousse idea...

This is what I am going to make first: http://kelliesfoodtoglow.com/2015/04/23/magic-chocolate-mousse/

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

cdh,

Member gfron1 made a dessert for a kid who had never had a real one at his restaurant back in April.

On this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151060-dessert-no-wheat-egg-peanut-tree-nut-barley-arrowroot/page-2

He includes a photo of the final product with chickpea meringue at post 43. Some discussion follows. It apparently deflates pretty quickly.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

cdh,

Member gfron1 made a dessert for a kid who had never had a real one at his restaurant back in April.

On this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151060-dessert-no-wheat-egg-peanut-tree-nut-barley-arrowroot/page-2

He includes a photo of the final product with chickpea meringue at post 43. Some discussion follows. It apparently deflates pretty quickly.

Thats the same issue with the Flax Seed Gel meringue. According to Bhavna, it will revert if not used in a certain time. She also makes Macarons with it and f you read the comments on the two videos (meringues and gel) shes experimented with French Buttercream etc using it

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Beaten egg whites start to go back to liquid after sitting a while too...  isn't that why gelatin stabilizers get thrown into mousses?  A pinch of agar would probably maintain the effect and the vegan-ity with this stuff...

Edited by cdh (log)

Beaten egg whites start to go back to liquid after sitting a while too...  isn't that why gelatin stabilizers get thrown into mousses?  A pinch of agar would probably maintain the effect and the vegan-ity with this stuff...

Hmm. I wonder. Agar needs heat to activate so I'm not sure if that would do the trick, but certainly one of the many hydrocolloids out there should help things.

• Like 1

So here's my first attempt:  Chocolate Chickpea Mousse: http://kelliesfoodtoglow.com/2015/04/23/magic-chocolate-mousse/

P1010001_62.JPG

P1010002_43.JPG

P1010003_35.JPG

Haven't told DH about this Mousse and it will be a surprise to him.  And then it will be another surprise to him to learn what's in it.  I'll report back.

• Like 7

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ed liked the chocolate mousse although he would have liked it to be thicker. Don't know that this is possible. He's always been a lover of the thicker, richer, sweeter, etc.

His jaw literally dropped when I told him what it was made from.

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I also saw this a while ago, there was a photo on Tastespotting of macarons made with chickpea liquid. But while it made me curious enough to read about, it didn't make me curious enough to try. Although with the price of eggs going up, this might soon become a popular alternative. That chocolate mousse does look good. How does it taste? Can you tell that there's something "different" about it?

Edited by cakewalk (log)
  • Like 1

So Darienne... do you think that adding something like Xanthan or Carageenan or other slime enhancer would help with the body of the mousse?  How about just more chocolate, or maybe just more cocoa butter?

• Like 1

I did notice that by dessert suppertime, the bottom of the little mousse bowls had gone back to liquid. 

Also, I perked up the flavor by adding some raspberry/Chambord sauce.  A little liqueur never hurt anything.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 1 month later...

So the stuff doesn't taste like chickpeas?

I can see this as something un-wastefull to do with chickpea water, but other than that it would seem like there are better solutions. There are all kinds of hydrocolloids that make stuff whipable. Most are flavorless and offer excellent flavor release. 

You can even whip chocolate by itself ... for reference check out Hervé This's chocolate chantilly.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

• 9 months later...

The New York Times has discovered aquafaba.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer