• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gangsta Vegan Organics -- Norristown, Pa

Driving around this morning I drove past this strip mall on Ridge pike/Main Street in Norristown, Pa and there is a new-ish restaurant called Gangsta Vegan Organics.

I pulled over and got a menu. The place smelled great, btw.

Heres the menu for your perusal

http://i.imgur.com/wFLHv2J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/V0uxxqW.jpg

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)
  • Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

The name is scary.  I know there is a market for their products, but, even if I was in that market, I might avoid the place just based on the name. Not great marketing. Do hope they do well, mind you.

• Like 1

Very little protein in that menu. It's there in beans and seeds and whatnot but no tofu? All the Vegans I knew in the 90's (Austin) looked decidedly unhealthy with a grey pallor. I actually prefer vegetarian and was one for years...

Prices looked decent, but I'd like to see what the portions looked like.

I drive by there pretty regularly and have never noticed them.  Vegan stuff for its own sake has no appeal to me, but if it looked/smelled good, I'll pop in and check it out.  Any relation to that SuperBazaar indian market along that strip?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I drive by there pretty regularly and have never noticed them.  Vegan stuff for its own sake has no appeal to me, but if it looked/smelled good, I'll pop in and check it out.  Any relation to that SuperBazaar indian market along that strip?

No, the vegan place is Reggae people.. I love SuperBazaar

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

The name does make me shake my head...  Norrristown doesn't need reminders about crime.  It's like a quip I used while working there: We're very efficient in  Montgomery County-- we put our courthouse right in the middle of all of our criminals... that's Norristown.  Things do seem to have gotten better down there lately... is this name a shot at retro nostalgia?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

The name does make me shake my head...  Norrristown doesn't need reminders about crime.  It's like a quip I used while working there: We're very efficient in  Montgomery County-- we put our courthouse right in the middle of all of our criminals... that's Norristown.  Things do seem to have gotten better down there lately... is this name a shot at retro nostalgia?

I was recently back in N'town for the first time in years. What a depressing state of affairs. This gangsta place may be the first new food place in forever there.  Don't the lawyers at least eat lunch in town?

There are some amusingly-named items on the menu, but others sound scary. Are they really using hypodermic needles? What the heck is a "wellness shot"?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just the other day I had an idea for a vegan sandwich which could be pretty great.  This led me to think that perhaps some sort of badass image remake might be in order for some wise business somewhere.  So this topic kinda' hit home.

But after looking at that menu, I'm not entirely sure that a vegan diet doesn't truly erode the creative part of your brain.

• Like 1