• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

Last night we decided to try a new restaurant, Casa del Cabo.  This went into the space that used to be Karoo, the North African restaurant we used to like. I am not sure why it closed as it was always busy.  Casa del Cabo has been open for about a month and has good reviews, plus it is sort of Mexican, which is my nephew's fave, so it seemed like a good choice.  I called and reserved a table on the outside deck.  Most people got margaritas to start: either a standard or what I think was a jalapeño watermelon flavored one

cabodrinks.thumb.jpg.3ef3956424f031ae169f0a9a525bcf67.jpg

My niece wanted the burrata over toast with anchovy aioli and salad to start.  I know, this is not even remotely Mexican!  I had a bite and it was tasty.

caboburrata.thumb.jpg.1bc15db21892d9236a18a547fd2fcb3a.jpg

The adults shared a seveche made with salmon.  It was very fresh but improved with just a pinch of salt

caboseveche2.thumb.jpg.5d3bcacca9938bdb9a3c4fcc064ed486.jpg

There was also calamari with a spicy dip. I was not in the mood so did not sample.  My nephew ate my share.  He has discovered on this vacation that he likes calamari.  Too bad for him that he is moving to Montana at the end of next week!  I doubt calamari will be a dinner option for him out there given the food budget he has to stick to.  Luckily rice and beans is his favorite food so he will be fine 🙂 

cabocalamari.thumb.jpg.bd0088d88fd81f97139551261342324f.jpg

My sister and my husband's brother both ordered the grilled swordfish with mixed greens salad and chimichurri sauce.  I was regretting having swordfish for dinner the prior night as this sounded really good.  They both enjoyed it.

caboswordfish.thumb.jpg.ef669d85c63bd96db4fe154ec1ea06fc.jpg

My niece and nephew ordered pork tacos with salsa verde and queso fresco.  They were devoured in short order.

cabopoprktacos.thumb.jpg.275b3b845626cc1f665ed314e622fcc6.jpg

I couldn't decide what to get so went with the fundido chicken tacos.  They were HUGE.  I could only eat one, but my brother in law was standing by to chomp the other one 🙂

cabochickentacos.thumb.jpg.861916c96e92d504680ddf8fb6c94abe.jpg

They were really tasty, but my favorite part was the salad.  I don't know what they used for dressing but it was delicious.

My husband seated himself at the furthest point from my nephew and got the grilled lobster (his lobster allergy number is actually zero but given his shrimp number we did not want to take a chance).   He said it was perfectly tender and he worked to extract every bit of meat with great success.

cabolobster.thumb.jpg.5e827847d2891f3c904a97e56a534ba3.jpg

Niece and nephew shared a slice of tres leches cake for dessert.  The adults skipped.

cabotresleches.thumb.jpg.58192cc5d507441e95225aab2770fc04.jpg

But dessert was not done!  We stopped at an ice cream stand to sample the wares.  I am on a mission to find ice cream I like this trip.  This was the second place we have tried so far.  We tried Smitty's in Orleans earlier this week, which was pretty good but not worth eating more than a few bites of.  

localscoop.thumb.jpg.56c14779c49b6982fdafbcf47c34b768.jpg

My husband went crazy and ordered jelly donut ice cream (????)  I took a picture but was laughing so hard it came out blurry.  As you can expect, that flavor of ice cream was horrible.  I did not like my flavor either--salted caramel--the ice cream was creamy but it was too sweet--so he trashed his and ate mine.  My niece ordered cookies and cream soft serve.  She said it was OK but "cookies and cream is better as hard ice cream, and vanilla is the best soft serve flavor anyway."

cookiesandcream.thumb.jpg.fb40ff2dc2813d297620816e45153bf5.jpg

Ice cream hunt continues...

My sister had to leave early this morning to head back to work so we are down to five people for the remainder of this visit.

I also wanted to show a picture of last night's "sunset."  The haze in the sky is from the wildfires happening all the way across the country on the west coast!  

tuesdaysunset.thumb.jpg.4e3eaab4d086360aca3baed3de09b01e.jpg

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

Last night we decided to try a new restaurant, Casa del Cabo.  This went into the space that used to be Karoo, the North African restaurant we used to like. I am not sure why it closed as it was always busy.  Casa del Cabo has been open for about a month and has good reviews, plus it is sort of Mexican, which is my nephew's fave, so it seemed like a good choice.  I called and reserved a table on the outside deck.  Most people got margaritas to start: either a standard or what I think was a jalapeño watermelon flavored one

My niece wanted the burrata over toast with anchovy aioli and salad to start.  I know, this is not even remotely Mexican!  I had a bite and it was tasty.

The adults shared a seveche made with salmon.  It was very fresh but improved with just a pinch of salt

There was also calamari with a spicy dip. I was not in the mood so did not sample.  My nephew ate my share.  He has discovered on this vacation that he likes calamari.  Too bad for him that he is moving to Montana at the end of next week!  I doubt calamari will be a dinner option for him out there given the food budget he has to stick to.  Luckily rice and beans is his favorite food so he will be fine 🙂 

My sister and my husband's brother both ordered the grilled swordfish with mixed greens salad and chimichurri sauce.  I was regretting having swordfish for dinner the prior night as this sounded really good.  They both enjoyed it.

My niece and nephew ordered pork tacos with salsa verde and queso fresco.  They were devoured in short order.

I couldn't decide what to get so went with the fundido chicken tacos.  They were HUGE.  I could only eat one, but my brother in law was standing by to chomp the other one 🙂

They were really tasty, but my favorite part was the salad.  I don't know what they used for dressing but it was delicious.

My husband seated himself at the furthest point from my nephew and got the grilled lobster (his lobster allergy number is actually zero but given his shrimp number we did not want to take a chance).   He said it was perfectly tender and he worked to extract every bit of meat with great success.

Niece and nephew shared a slice of tres leches cake for dessert.  The adults skipped.

But dessert was not done!  We stopped at an ice cream stand to sample the wares.  I am on a mission to find ice cream I like this trip.  This was the second place we have tried so far.  We tried Smitty's in Orleans earlier this week, which was pretty good but not worth eating more than a few bites of.  

My husband went crazy and ordered jelly donut ice cream (????)  I took a picture but was laughing so hard it came out blurry.  As you can expect, that flavor of ice cream was horrible.  I did not like my flavor either--salted caramel--the ice cream was creamy but it was too sweet--so he trashed his and ate mine.  My niece ordered cookies and cream soft serve.  She said it was OK but "cookies and cream is better as hard ice cream, and vanilla is the best soft serve flavor anyway."

My sister had to leave early this morning to head back to work so we are down to five people for the remainder of this visit.

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

cabosalmon.jpg

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

cabosalmon.jpg