• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Harvard/edX Course launches again -"Science & Cooking: from Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science"

Smithy

I took this course in 2013 and found it immensely interesting and useful. The teachers are engaging, the tutors invaluable, the platform frustrating...ok, so it wasn't perfect, but it was good enough that I'm going again. (Maybe the discussion platform has improved since then.) It's free, although now they invite donations. The class starts June 17.

Science & Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to Soft Matter Science

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks, Smithy, for better or for worse I signed up.  I have very much enjoyed the Harvard science and cooking public lectures.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

They've also put the course resources out as an e-book in this iteration.

I signed up AND bought the book. Thank you Smithy and nickrey.

Edited because I did not think that either Smithy or nickrey would appreciate being called sweetie! Whew. Glad I caught that.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I just signed up, three weeks late, so I have some catch up. I plan on getting the book as well. This is exciting! Thank you for posting this! 

• Like 1

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child