• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, Mjx said:

I've had osmathus-flavoured sweets before (Thai, I think), but they were osmanthus only, and very slightly disappointing, because the osmanthus perfumed the sweet, but didn't bring any bitterness or other complexity, so it was  a bit cloying.

Osmanthus_fragrans.jpg.5de824d022d68657273260a7c1653c0e.jpg

Osmanthus Flowers

The only osmanthus sweets I've had are these popular, bite-sized examples from Guilin. Over-sweet for me.

870676468_Osmanthuscake.thumb.jpg.6650898d79b0aaf33e87ed1fd053318d.jpg

I've always considered osmanthus to be more of a scent than a flavour. The local parks are full of osmanthus trees and people  sell the flowers on the streets as a sort of modern nosegay. However, it is put into all sorts of things; beer, tea (as like in jasmine tea), wine, baijiu strong spirit, cigarettes (?), jam, honey, ice cream and several cake-like items.

I think goji berries are the biggest con ever. Superfood? Give me a break! 

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Mjx said:

I've had osmathus-flavoured sweets before (Thai, I think), but they were osmanthus only, and very slightly disappointing, because the osmanthus perfumed the sweet, but didn't bring any bitterness or other complexity, so it was  a bit cloying.

Osmanthus_fragrans.jpg.5de824d022d68657273260a7c1653c0e.jpg

Osmanthus Flowers

The only osmanthus sweets I've had are these popular, bite-sized examples from Guilin. Over-sweet for me.

870676468_Osmanthuscake.thumb.jpg.6650898d79b0aaf33e87ed1fd053318d.jpg

I've always considered osmanthus to be more of a scent than a flavour. The local parks are full of osmanthus trees and people  sell the flowers on the streets as a sort of modern nosegay. However, it is put into all sorts of things; tea (as like in jasmine tea), wine, baijiu strong spirit, cigarettes (?), jam, honey, ice cream and several cake-like items.

I think goji berries are the biggest con ever. Superfood? Give me a break!