• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have a fairly large collection of Chinese menus from local restaurants. I am often asked to translate  them.

I flicked through about 30 today. Only two had anything resembling desserts.

One was from a Hong Kong style restaurant. In its 58 page menu it has precisely 6 desserts.

Sweet sago cream with coconut milk

Red Bean Paste

Mung Bean Paste

Lotus Seed Snow Fungus

Glacier Snow Fungus

Guilinggao (see above)

The other is from a local hotel which has delusions of being "international'. In an even longer menu it has five.

Sweetened Coconut Juice with Minced Taro

Sweetened Cream of Red Beans with Dried Orange Peel

Sweetened Cream of Green Beans with Lotus Seeds

Sweetened Sago Cream with Coconut Juice

Fruit  Platter

Still no guarantee that these will turn up at the end of the meal unless you don't order them until then.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have a fairly collection of Chinese menus from local restaurants. I am often asked to translate  them.

I flicked through about  30 today. Only two had anything resembling desserts.

One was from a Hong Kong style restaurant. In its 58 page menu it has precisely 6 desserts.

Sweet sago cream with coconut milk

Red Bean Paste

Mung Bean Paste

Lotus Seed Snow Fungus

Glacier Snow Fungus

Guilinggao (see above)

The other is from a local hotel which has delusions of being "international'. In an even longer menu it has five.

Sweetened Coconut Juice with Minced Taro

Sweetened Cream of Red Beans with Dried Orange Peel

Sweetened Cream of Green Beans with Lotus Seeds

Sweetened Sago Cream with Coconut Juice

Fruit  Platter

Still no guarantee that these will turn up at the end of the meal unless you don't order them until then.