• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1996 Opus...opening right now

awbrig

Ive had a tough week - and its not even over yet - darting children to different day cares and lots of other time consuming stressful things...and Im treating myself.

I have just had my first sip of 96 Opus One and its not even 5PM here yet...It seems like it should open up a lot more so Im going to let this glass sit a while in my Riedel Bordeux before continuing on...beautiful purple color though...I'll review it in more depth after it airs out...

Edited by awbrig (log)

if you can make it Ill go out and get another bottle!

Update: Couldnt wait till it opened up..could you? :raz:

On the bottom of the second glass, and drinking with a Ranalli's thin crust pepperoni and sausage thin crust. Yes I know it would go better with a rare filet w bernaise but hey you do what you do.

Cheers. :smile: Im also taking pics of my Opus - Pizza combo!

Edited by awbrig (log)

I might be revealing something about myself that is best left hidden, but if I were to choose a savory food to accompany a remarkable wine, and my choice was between steak with bernaise and a good pizza, I'd choose the pizza.

--

ID

--

• 3 weeks later...

Opus One isn't my first choice among wines in that price category, but I came across a $200 bottle of the 1998 in a restaurant last week. So we drank it. Seems like a bargain, or am I deluded?

I'm sure it had a lot more to give with age, but it was not unpleasant.

Opus One isn't my first choice among wines in that price category, but I came across a $200 bottle of the 1998 in a restaurant last week.  So we drank it.  Seems like a bargain, or am I deluded?

I'm sure it had a lot more to give with age, but it was not unpleasant.

"Not unpleasant" is not what I want from a $ 200.00 bottle

In this particular restaurant, nothing even close. I was amazed they had it. I believe I've seen recent vintages of Opus One around that price retail, so I think I was onto a good thing (assuming one had the two hundred bucks and wanted to drink it).

In this particular restaurant, nothing even close.  I was amazed they had it.  I believe I've seen recent vintages of Opus One around that price retail, so I think I was onto a good thing (assuming one had the two hundred bucks and wanted to drink it).

Given those particulars - Bravo, excellent choice !

In relative terms, a lot of the better California 1998 cabs are becoming good, or at least better values. I have noticed a lot of significant discounting on these wines. Perhaps a combination of the weaker economy, full shelves and the influx of the 1999s, 2000s and even some of the 2001 vintage have contributed to some of this discounting. Although it is far from a superior vintage, 1998 is now considered to be not as ordinary as first thought. While it certainly isn't 1994 or 1997, it generally isn't all that bad. A wise shopper can probably do some good shopping if he looks around.

Porkpa