• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide scum - how to get rid of it?

TdeV

Sous vide meats tend to come out of the bag with a grey scum. I've tried removing it with a paper towel, but this isn't very effective. Can I wash the meat under the water faucet?

What do you folks do?

Thanks.

I do not have this problem, but I understand what you are talking about.

i use lower temps for meats. so I don't get this.

if you are using higher temps and get this

consider trying the same thing thats done for 'pre-skim-ing' meats :

a brief 'boil'  ie a few seconds, then cool and wipe down then bag and SV.

i have not done this, but it might give you some ideas to work with.

what are your meats and what are your SV temps ?

Rotuts,

I have this frequently. Lately I've made beef brisket (53 hours @131F), beef hangar steak (didn't write down the time), slice of lamb leg (32+ hours @145F), lamb shoulder (2 days @145), pork spare ribs (11 hours @ 175F), pork leg (miscalculation so cooked for 4 days @130).

For many meats I don't put anything in the bag. When the cooking is done I have lots of water left which I usually strain and use as soup stock.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

How do I keep the oil from gumming up my vacuum sealer?

Use a fat that's solid when cold such as butter, bacon fat, duck fat or put some olive oil into an ice cube tray and freeze it.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Why do you have to call them "scum"?

They taste very good and they are more like Pâté. :-)

I scrape them out with a spoon, and use a blender to blend them with the sauce.

dcarch

I've found several postings on the internet (not egullet) discussing how adding oil to the bag degrades the flavour of steak. Not having any experience I don't know.

I don't like how the scum-looking bits look, but I admit they taste ok. I'll give it more attention, dcarch!

Edited by TdeV (log)

I don't think oil could degrade the flavor unless the oil itself tastes bad. Oil molecules are too big to pass into the meat itself.

But that said, I have no idea what the oil could actually be doing to the scum. That's just proteins in the juices that get expelled from the meat as it cooks. Above a certain temperature they coagulate. I'm curious to know how the oil plays into this.

Notes from the underbelly

A large amount of oil might dissolve some flavors, esp post searing.  I could see that.

My entirely self-constructed explanation is that the oil coats the meat...the aqueous (hydrophilic) albumen comes out during cooking...can't stick to the oily meat and then separates from the oil.

We tried out a blow torch for the first time this evening: skirt steak done 29 hours at 131F. Usually I use the broiler in the oven to finish, but it takes a long time and I was worried about the thickness of the skirt steak.

I had put about one tablespoon of olive oil and there was very little "scum".

Tasty, of course! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Does using oil make it harder or easier to use bag juices in a sauce?

You might want to separate the oil out, but this is easily done by cutting off  the tip of the bag and draining it. Which is in general a great way to separate water and oil mixes. Pretty precise.