• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desserts made from Dinner

Kerry Beal

Although I've never done it, know that sweet bean paste is popular in Chinese desserts. Wonder if you could get up from the table, grab the serving bowl of beans, head for the kitchen and turn out something sweet and tasty.

Dessert is not a popular part of meals in Chinese way of eating.

Go check out a real Chinese restaurant and ask for the dessert menu.

dcarch

Can't remember this ever happening at the same meal but I can remember left-over rice or bread being converted into rice or bread pudding for subsequent meals even though dessert wasn't all that common at our house.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Dessert is not a popular part of meals in Chinese way of eating.

Go check out a real Chinese restaurant and ask for the dessert menu.

dcarch

Think I ate at plenty of "real Chinese restaurants" when I lived in Hong Kong. Also have traveled to Taiwan and Chinese mainland, and more than once, or even twice, or even thrice, eating the entire time.

Perhaps we could discuss Chinese desserts in another thread. (There must be some reason why you have to take your life in your hands to work your way up to the head of the line for egg custard tarts at Golden Gate Bakery.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_desserts

But when I was thinking about sweet bean paste and an item one might reasonably enjoy as a dessert for the purposes of this thread, I was specifically thinking of these:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_deui

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Think I ate at plenty of "real Chinese restaurants" when I lived in Hong Kong. Also have traveled to Taiwan and Chinese mainland, and more than once, or even twice, or even thrice, eating the entire time.

Perhaps we could discuss Chinese desserts in another thread. (There must be some reason why you have to take your life in your hands to work your way up to the head of the line for egg custard tarts at Golden Gate Bakery.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_desserts

But when I was thinking about sweet bean paste and an item one might reasonably enjoy as a dessert for the purposes of this thread, I was specifically thinking of these:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_deui

In  the many many many years I have had lunch, dinner with my many many many Chinese friends, I can't remember when was the last time anyone asked for dessert after a meal in a Chinese restaurant.

I have had hundreds of Chinese banquets. At the end of the meal, you get almond cookies, red bean soup, or almond soup. Sometimes sliced melon or oranges.

dcarch

Sweet dishes which westerners may call 'dessert'' certainly turn up in Chinese banquets, especially in Gaungdong / Hong Hong Kong.

They are not necessarily served at the end of a meal. Chinese food doesn't usually do strict order, serial serving of dishes. Anything can turn up at any point in the proceedings.

Try visiting a fast food restaurant in China. You will see people eating their chicken burgers and ice  ream at the same time. I recently posted in the Lunch thread about ordering ramen noodles and durian ice cream and the ice cream arriving first.

I have had hundreds of Chinese banquets. At the end of the meal, you get almond cookies, red bean soup, or almond soup. Sometimes sliced melon or oranges.

I have had thousands and never been served any of the above (apart from the melon or oranges, but they didn't come at the end of the meal).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sweet dishes which westerners may call 'dessert'' certainly turn up in Chinese banquets, especially in Gaungdong / Hong Hong Kong.

They are not necessarily served at the end of a meal. Chinese food doesn't usually do strict order, serial serving of dishes. Anything can turn up at any point in the proceedings.

Try visiting a fast food restaurant in China. You will see people eating their chicken burgers and ice  ream at the same time. I recently posted in the Lunch thread about ordering ramen noodles and durian ice cream and the ice cream arriving first.

I have had thousands and never been served any of the above (apart from the melon or oranges, but they didn't come at the end of the meal).

The most common "dessert" I was given while in China was probably a bowl of lychee nuts.  Except at fancy parties, banquets, weddings.

I know that Chinese are definitely not fond of overly-sweet elaborate Western-style desserts.  But I do love Chinese pastries (especially those egg custard tarts), and I think it's an interesting subject. Albeit for another thread.

And, Liuzhou, I am particularly interested in your experience regarding Chinese "sweets," as I am in all your posts.  You are a wealth of information.  Thanks.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

You can have the best original in Macau, Pasteis de nata.

dcarch

Actually been there, done that.  Along with the Grand Prix of Macau.  Good ol' days.

I fully intended to set aside some of the grilled balsamic figs from dinner last night to have with vanilla ice cream for dessert. But they were too delicious & we ate them all for dinner.  Which reminds me, a few days ago, I stuffed fresh figs with ricotta, EVOO, s&p for an appetizer, but they could have done just as well as a dessert with a dash of cinnamon or grated chocolate or something.

• Like 1

a left over package of ramen from a ramen hack dinner made a great ice cream topping… crumbed them and  candied them in the pan like you do with almonds or pecans and added just a bit of chile then served them over vanilla ice-cream 

you can use ramen in all kinds of desserts as toppings for fresh fruits whatever ..noodles in general leftover from dinner if they are uncaused make puddings ..

• Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I am not Jewish (so I have never done this) but hummingbirdkiss brought to mind that one could use leftover (or extra) noodles from dinner in kugel for dessert.

You don't have to be Jewish to make kugel!  :smile:

Interesting point, though. I have eaten and made many different types of kugel, but I don't remember ever eating kugel for dessert, even the sweet ones. (But it's never too late to start.)

• Like 2