• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wrinkled peas

Josh71

^^^^^This is why I like eGullet.

So the cooling.... Still in cooking vessel?

Yes, definitely the cooling which can cause wrinkles :)

But, I don't understand your question regarding "cooking vessel".

What I did, after the waiting time, I moved the pan out from the heat source (stove).

That's all. 

radtek: agreed!

I think the OP is on to something - not just about peas either.

Well, basically this is the thing that I was looking for.

I often dress up (garnish) my dish with some boiled green vegetables, including peas. 

But I hate when they have wrinkles. And I didn't pay attention to find out why in the past.

Next experiment perhaps, how to enhance the weak-flavor of this boiled peas!

Probably butter-poached-sous-vide can improve the taste ... a bit :)

Really, this is just some fun with food.

Edited by Josh71 (log)

Yes, definitely the cooling which can cause wrinkles :)

-----------------------

The wrinkling of the skin may be from the skin expanding from absorption of water.

Perhaps if you weigh the peas before and after and see if that's the case.

dcarch

• Like 1

different varieties of peas grow to different sizes.

but - the gardener does let peas grow to maximum size - or zucchini, for example.

peas can be eaten cooked or raw at any size from pinhead to pumpkin size.

the smaller are usually more tender and some more tasty - but a not left to grow too big "eating size" pea is same or close second to very immature peas.

if one over cooks peas they swell up and the skin bursts.

if one over cooks peas not to the point the skin bursts, then cools the peas, the skin wrinkles.

this effect is even more pronounced in lima beans.

if a local source has peas, look for crisp moist pods.  pods that are dried out and/or leathery indicate an overgrown crop.

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 1

Peas are legumes so why wouldn't they behave like... beans. 

Josh71 my question was if you cooled the beans in the cooking water. It's really unclear in your descriptions of your method where you only mention times. So my assumption is that after 5 minutes of boiling you remove the pan and let the peas cool in it. Or do you drain them after 5 minutes and rest at air temp for 45 minutes?

• Like 1

Peas are legumes so why wouldn't they behave like... beans. 

Josh71 my question was if you cooled the beans in the cooking water. It's really unclear in your descriptions of your method where you only mention times. So my assumption is that after 5 minutes of boiling you remove the pan and let the peas cool in it. Or do you drain them after 5 minutes and rest at air temp for 45 minutes?

Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I didn't drain them :)

So yes, they were still in the pan with the cooking water.

I simply moved the pan out of the stove, and let the pan+water+peas cool down by itself.

I think for this method to work, the peas must be cooled down inside the cooking water.

Edited by Josh71 (log)
  • Like 1