• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shel's Yogurt Chicken Breasts

Shel_B

This is a great tasting, flavorful method of preparing chicken, especially breasts, with a yogurt marinade. I've made this dish several ways, and with different parts of the chicken. To my taste this marinade works best with breast meat, but you may want to try thighs as well. You can either skin the chicken first, or place the marinade under the skin and then, when baking or grilling the bird, opt for a crisp skin. I haven't found much difference in the moistness of the meat with or without the skin, but I generally slather the marinade on pretty thick. Cooking time and temperature will have as great an effect on moistness as whether you cook the meat with the skin on. Recipe makes enough for 4 - 6 nice sized chicken breast halves.

Yogurt Chicken Breasts

1 cup plain low-fat yogurt or regular yogurt

2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced very fine or pressed

1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion (I like Maui or 1015s)

1 Tbs coriander seeds, toasted and ground fine

2 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground

1 tsp whole black peppercorns, ground

1/2 - 1 tsp crushed chilpectin peppers, seeds included (other peppers are ok, avoid cayenne)

2 Tbs finely chopped fresh mint

4 - 6 chicken breast halves (2 - 3 whole breasts)

Take whole coriander and cumin seeds and put them in a small skillet over medium heat and toast them for a couple of minutes while constantly shaking the skillet. As soon as they get aromatic remove from heat and skillet and let them cool a bit before grinding them fine. Grind them with whole (untoasted) black peppercorns.

Add the spices, garlic, onion and chopped mint to the yogurt and stir well to mix. Pat the chicken breasts dry and either remove the skin or gently separate the skin from the breast halves, making a pocket into which the marinade will go. Place the breasts in a glass baking dish with sides higher than the breasts are thick and generously cover the skinned breasts with marinade, or stuff a generous amount of marinade under the skin. Cover (if using plastic wrap, take care that the film doesn't come in contact with the chicken breasts) and marinate in the refrigerator for about 8 - 12 hours.

Chicken can be cooked in the oven at about 400 degrees for about 30 - 35 minutes, or grilled over hot mesquite coals for about 40 minutes. Naturally you may need to adjust your cooking time and temp depending on the size of the chicken and your own oven.

You may certainly adjust the amount of seasoning to suit your taste. I often use a little more of the coriander, cumin and black pepper, depending on my mood and who, if any, my guests may be. Pequin chiles are also good in this recipe. Definitely DON'T use ground cayenne pepper. This also works nicely without the onions.

... Shel