• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Living in New York vs. London

Kikujiro

I don't want to quibble needlessly, and I have absolutely no investment in claiming a greater theatrical vitality over here -- am quite prepared to believe NY has the edge -- but for the record there are 61 venues in the off-West End and fringe theatre categories in this week's Time Out :unsure:

Steve, how is London a more international city?

The foreign investment happening here seems to be mostly Middle Eastern money...

and to speak about a different "wealth" generally there are more people here of middle east and Indian background (I have no stats to produce just what I see)..of South America as part of its mix... and gives a cultural richness that we don't have here

And how is this government more interested in "hipness and modernization"? Just because Tony wears Paul Smith and goes to Versace events wearing shiny burgundy suits?

One undeniable advantage for NY is that TONY, unlike TO London, puts its basic listings on the web. It even counts results. As I see it:

New York:

Broadway 34

Off-Broadway 21

OOB 25

Total 80

London:

West End 50

Off-West End 19

Fringe 42

Total 111

edit: whoops, not this week's Time Out but one from a month ago. This week's has 38 theatres listed in Fringe.

Edited by Kikujiro (log)

Is it just me that thinks it is odd that Wilf ( actually you do remind me of wilf Lunn )  is using a magazine that originated in London to prove the superioroty of NY?

just a thought

S

I could so easily walk the three sunny blocks to his office from mine and give him copies of New York Magazine, or the New Yorker, if you'd prefer!

EDIT: or the New York Press, or the Village Voice... :biggrin:

Edited by Liza (log)

Is it just me that thinks it is odd that Wilf ( actually you do remind me of wilf Lunn )  is using a magazine that originated in London to prove the superioroty of NY?

just a thought

S

One way or another you'd be able to pull rank on Wilfrid even if you had to trace things back to Addison and Steele.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Now I'll go and annoy Barnes & Noble by reading a copy of Time Out.  They deserve it.  They asked me to produce ID last week when I was exchanging a cheap book for a more expensive one.  Arses.

I was looking for Martin Amis' and Rushdie's books [await Majumdar's wrath] a while back at B&N. Exasperated, I asked a staff member if they had any. "Oh", he replied "they are stolen like hotakes, so we keep all their books behind the counter at the checkout and you have to request them there."

Now, wouldn't you think they'd like to save customers' time and put up a notice saying so?

How does Foyle's still exist?

Okay, the TONY web-site is not to be relied on. There are 66 OB and OOB productions currently running according to this week's issue (that's the one with the corkscrew on the cover, for all you fact checkers out there).

Cabaret, since I was asked, I would define very roughly as song and patter, either solo or in a small revue format. What's key is that it is listed separately from jazz and comedy, despite the overlap of content.

Edit; Who is Wilf Lunn?

Edited by Wilfrid (log)

Museums? A tie.

Oh no you don't. NY has MOMA with its truly world class collection - in fact - it sets the level of modern art by which all others are judged.

But nothing, in the whole of the US for that matter, comes close to the quality & breadth of the British Museum.

Any, for those londoners (like me - ok scottish - but i've been here so long) who wanted to live there & got off their arse & did it - boy did I miss britain. I love NY & love visiting it - but I hated america, it politics, the cost of living there, the dumbed down tv & press. I neve felt usafe in NY as I do in spme parts of london - and there are so many wonderful things about beign there. But only to visit.

I could go on but my dinner's ready.

Anyway - isn't this off topic chat which is banned under pain of perlow coming to stay with you for a month?

No, no. Restaurants, cuisine and travel - emphasis added. We're fine.

You should know about MOMA - is it just that only a limited part of their collection was ever on display? The Tate Modern is vast in comparison (to the old MOMA, anyway).

But nothing, in the whole of the US for that matter, comes close to the quality & breadth of the British Museum.  

Same answer if you have to return the Elgin Marbles to the Greeks?

to the turks surely - they owned greece at the time they were taken :wink: