• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Living in New York vs. London

Kikujiro

A gentle reminder of our new, vigorous, authoritarian, oppressive, and hostile approach to off-topic discussions may be in order here. Wilfrid, I have suspended your user account for 11 years. Simon, 9 1/2 weeks. And BLH, well, his punishment will remain a private matter.

Okay, but can we try to move this back to a food focus (our standards are pretty low -- meanderings around a core of food aren't offensive -- but this topic has gone quite out the window), move on to the next thing, or have those who are interested in the farther-reaching elements of the topic take it to a PM dialog?

Otherwise, you will have Andy Lynes to answer to.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Okay, but can we try to move this back to a food focus (our standards are pretty low -- meanderings around a core of food aren't offensive -- but this topic has gone quite out the window), move on to the next thing, or have those who are interested in the farther-reaching elements of the topic take it to a PM dialog?

OK

isn't the food at the BM crap?

Good job you don' have to pay to go in. I think this was free during the Thatcher years, then they began to charge a £5'er. Now they don't

OK FG?

S

Last positing on this topic before FG sits on my face (we'll sneek OTC in elsewhere).

The BM has only charged for 6 months during the 70s. The time before that was when in opened 250 years ago (btw - its its birthday this year) It has donation buckets on the doors. Its not policy - just a principal that admission is free.

In the past it was a seriously rich organisation & one of the biggest land owners in the UK - bit over 2 centuries of missmangement has put a stop to that. (also - to gain a place on the board of trustees in a big US museum costs a couple of mill - they don't do that kind of thing here).

The V&A was only a trusteed Museum in the 70s - before that it was part of dept. education & has never had the funds or patronage to match the bm.

Now its stopped charging it can;t cope with numbers - not enough loos or people to clean them. As the "ace cafe" - dont get me started.

The bm staff canteen food is the worst in the world - particularly if your vegetarian. They really must hate them.

Anyway - enough. I have a monk fish to cook.

cheers

approx 50,000 items on show out of 4 million in the vaults.  Its space thats the problem (and miss-management!) - not funds.

Perhaps you can give some of the stuff back to where you took it from.

Last positing on this topic before FG sits on my face (we'll sneek OTC in elsewhere).

Does Ellen know? Do you snorkle? (Now we know what your punishment was.)

he thinks its a punishment - but little does he know :wink: