• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

Silver Goat from TJ's:

Tj'sSG 1.jpg

I loe goat cheese and this is from TJ's.  its locally available but at other places it cost 33.3 % more.

:huh:

but GCh has its drawbacks  its crumbly.  in this pack its difficult to get out  so i do this :

TJ'sSG 2.jpg

I put the TJGC in one of those semi-disposable containers i use over and over again.

the secret is to place the TJGCheese upside down on your cutting board,

w a sharp knife cut along the seam from the 'Tube' and the external flat part.  this takes the top off

once you turn it over.

but you are not yet done :  either with a small sharp knife or nice kitchen scissors rip the 4 edges down to the cutting board,

you no longer have a " boat " and can add the TJGCheese to your container with little fuss

its worth doing.

Edited by rotuts (log)

TJ's has lots of fairly priced Nuts.

TJ'sWals.jpg

these are nice.  I use them Toasted on top of the brownies i take to the library.

i like Pecans myself

but I used these  just toasted for 

ButterHead Beet Boats.   nice  very nice.

• Like 2

read all about it here :

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151884-dinner-2015-part-5/page-5

from time to time I make Great Stuff.

not always

but this was Great Stuff !

even on a cool day.

you will be seeing this soon at the 4 Seasons, NYC

49.99 a plate

wait, they got kicked out !

:sad:

Edited by rotuts (log)

Thanks, Rotuts. I love beet salad myself but have never thought to roll it in lettuce leaves. I usually just eat the beets with goat cheese and, in my case, candied pecans and drizzled with some balsamic vinaigrette. I'll try it your way next time and add some chopped green onions to boot. I'm also going to follow that thread you linked to. Mighty fine looking food posted there.

TJ's has lots of fairly priced Nuts.

attachicon.gifTJ'sWals.jpg

these are nice.  I use them Toasted on top of the brownies i take to the library.

i like Pecans myself

but I used these  just toasted for 

ButterHead Beet Boats.   nice  very nice.

I love TJ's nuts! I can't hardly eat nuts sourced from elsewhere, because TJ's are always so much fresher.

Their walnut halves which will be available shortly live in my freezer for year-round use. The crisp snap of their undyed pistacios is unparalled. When I succumb and buy pistacios anywhere else, I regret it. They are half rancid and flaccid. 

> ^ . . ^ <

Nuts are one of the things we buy almost exclusively from TJ's. They seem fresher, and are usually priced well. And my husband adores the 50% less salt cashews, which he can keep in his desk drawer to snack on for those days when a proper lunch just isn't gonna happen.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Unfortunately, I seem to be a salt whore, like Nancy on the old "Star Trek" episode:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708469/

I like full salt nuts. I don't care that they say it's not good for me. I just want what tastes good while I'm still here.

I have bought reduced salt nuts in ignorance at T.J's, because they're right beside the regular ones. I brought them back unopened, and exchanged for the good stuff. It is impossible in these crowded stores to carefully read labels. You'll find yourself in a line to even get at the products. Start reading labels, and I guarantee, you will start a riot!

T.J.'s truly has a lot of great things going for it, including the only source I know of for edible frozen pizza. There's are really, really good, and worth the trip alone, but they also have many other products worthy of a visit.

Just go on a weeknight or during a workday if you can.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

""edible frozen pizza""

yep

my source for the Pizza and the Pepperoni

for my PepperoniBomb

PepperoniBomb.jpg

everything here is from TJ's exp. the oregano and that Turkish Oregano from Penzey's

other oregano is insipid to my taste.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

So i only buy raw nuts and Dr Bronners peppermint shampoo at TJs ..ever ...anymore i find the food so disapointing and can " do it myself " cheaper.

I tried again and on a nut run bought some snacks

Gorgonzola crackers ( i think it was supposed to be a cheeze it type? ) have no gorgonzola flavor and taste like old forgotten crackers

Fig bars? Wow they were dry and stale tasting ..very chokey with out milk! and the fig paste was flat tasting

My grankids who love cookies of all kinds thumbs down it and fed them to the chickens

finally the Stone ground wheat crackers? Well i put some really nice home made mushroom pate on top took a bit and they did not grind them enough or added stones to them..because the crunchy wheat that is supposed to impart a stoney wheat goodness? Tastes like crackers with rocks....

I am so sad ! I want to love TJs again! I did when they first came to Federal Way WA a long long time ago i worked at a clinic close enough to walk and would get a really nice tabouli salad or somethind semi fresh there...now i am walking away bummed

Except nuts! They still have me in there four times a year for a cart full of nuts....

( ok ..That sounds hysterical that sentence out loud!)

I love crackers and am always trying new ones, bummed at options lately. I dont understand why?

Ok i have procrastinated ...now it is time to do the last bit of deconstruction of the kitchen ..it will be truly useless after today...the point of no return. I was reading this thread looking for snacks ...that pizza Rotuts made looks great! I have never had anything from TJs end up like that!

• Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Try It ! Take it Back !

can't beet that.

I do like their WheatThin and Triscuits Clones.

Omg i love triscuits with sharp Tillamook and fresh jam! It is my go to comfort snack ..( lately something is different with Tillamook there is a new bitter taste from the bacteria, i can taste it and am hoping it goes away ) I will try the TJ s then! I know you can take them back but i feel like this is mostly me being bitchy now

My friends shrink told her and she told me...." It is only bugging you ? It is you!"

I think wth some foods, it really is me

I taste too many flavors in life and it is not always a good thing

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I live practically across the street from TJs and came to realize a long time ago that my food taste preferences and TJs are incompatible so I rarely visit.

There is only one thing I care for at TJ's and that is the frozen edamame which I stock up on.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Ive finally got around to trying those two red's from TJ's at the same time.

for the First TurkeyMeatLoaf of the season.

I chilled them to about 60 as I like young reds a bit cool.

the SA had some sharpness, and the TJvint was rounder.  rounder = a bit more sugar.

I think I like the SA a bit better.

fortunately for me I did not drink both bottles at that sitting

as i wanted to see how each might do\, opened , in the refirg , overnight for the second

helping's of the TML.

both did fine for a table wine.  the tastes were as Ive mentioned.

so I just mixed them together and that was 20 % better than either.

:huh:

I used to do this in the past when TJ's had some 'French Market ' ( their label ) wines from France

a Cab and a Merlot wine.  dry  no oak  very nice table wine for the price.

so I mixed them up. even better much better

a 'Home Made' Bordeaux    from Ch. Rotuts.

unfortunately TJ's does not have these wines any more.

:sad:

BTW  Ch. Rotuts should not be confused with Methode Rotuts.

Edited by rotuts (log)

rotuts,

Your desert looks very good.

I also love TJ's nuts. They are the freshest available in my area.

The walnut halves available in fall are crispy but creamy. The pistachio's are so crispy, fresh and good. The pecans so crisp and flavorful!

I can't get to TJ's often so sometimes wind up buying nuts other places I can get to. It is always with regret, because TJ's are not only superior quality, but cheaper too.

I always pop walnuts and pecans into the freezer as soon as I get them home to preserve the freshness. It works well. I have never tried it with pistachios because they don't last very long around me.

I'm really sensitive to rancid flavors. I once wasted quite a bit of money on a package of shelled black walnut halves from Harris Teeter, a local mainstream grocery chain. I was so excited for this score. They were well within the expiration date, but quite inedible and rancid right from the get go. Black walnuts are hard to find, but sublime, almost floral, if you find good ones. They are justifiably expensive, because the shells are very thick and hard, the meats are difficult to get out of the shells once you manage to crack them, and you can get black-stained fingers and nails that last a while from shelling them yourself. I wish TJ's would carry them. They would probably be good quality.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

My wine pals at Tj's recommended i try these two :

Zin 1.jpg

Zin 2.jpg

both had no oak, and true ( table ) Zin flavors.   I(m a big fan of Zin's and used to collect them and cellar them.  Now

im more interested in table wine for today and tomorrow.  Hard to say what's to drink in 20 years.

the VINTJS  was a bit harsher, not quite those benzene flavors one see's in inexpensive red.  but it was thinking about it

the Ravenswood was very smooth and a new favorite of mine

i took the VINTJS back and bought a ( few ) case (s) of the Ravenswood

I used some of the VINTJS in my IPot 'stew' studies.   :huh:

• Like 1

the same Ravenswood as above ?

I live is a Graft/Corruption State where there is a $ 1 'fee' to the distributor that never even touches the bottles

the 'distributor' is some sort of nephew to some sort of big time legislator   

not kidding.

how much is the  2-buck Chuck now days ion CA ?  still 2 bucks ?

here its three bucks.

Yes, the Ravenswood I got at my TJs is exactly the same bottle as yours.  

The Charles Shaw stuff is now up to $2.49 here.

The Ravenswood is $8.99 at my local Total Wine and the same at BevMo (with a ClubBev card, otherwise $12.99).

Edited to add that I had to look up the Charles Shaw price on the website.  I do not partake of it myself.  I have said this before here:  I do not think there is anything "bad" about the Charles Shaw products.  They fit the definition of wine.  I have not found off tastes or flavors but I find them completely uninteresting.  There is no charm, nothing

that makes me want to buy another bottle or try it with another meal. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

""   I do not think there is anything "bad" about the Charles Shaw products. ""

I do

:raz: 

Im surprised the Zin in more in CA.

Ill have to buy a ( large number ) more cases before that increase hits MA

you can get a lot of exercise going up and down the stairs to your basement 'wine cellar' 

I have   Over the Years.

• Like 1

I actually like Charles Shaw chardonnay and shiraz. A lot.

If it weren't for them, this prole, wouldn't ever have wine at all.

In flush times, I have had much more expensive wines, but I am very grateful for TJ's effort to bring wine to those of us who would have to do without otherwise. 

I got interested in it years ago, when I was able to afford more expensive stuff while shopping at TJ's. I had dismissed it in the aisle when I saw the price, but folks in the checkout lines were carting out case after case. 

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <