• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

I decided to try again this Fz cake from France and compare it to the valentine cake which is long gone :

56c46654eb91b_TJsTort1.thumb.jpg.73de13b

Ive had it many times and its a keeper at Tj's

56c466a6c412a_TJsTort2.thumb.jpg.1d0be19

and sur le plate :

56c466bc33e3d_TJsTort3.jpg.13a148fea1bea

I don't get  it often, as soon Ill be at a certain age

this cake is similar to the Val's cake, but denser.  I have no idea how to describe cakes.  denser here is not a negative word

this cake might require heavy whipped cream to go with it, where as the lighter Val's cake, Ice Cold Milk would do.

the good thing about this cake is :

1` ) its from France

2 ) they will probably have it forever, as its been in the chain as long as I can remember.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I used the shelf stable box of turkey gravy that I picked up at TJ's as part of dinner tonight. I believe they only carry it around the holidays. Not being a fan of canned or jarred gravy, I thought I'd try one pack of TJ's to see if it was any better, with the plan of stocking up next year if it was, in fact, better.

I wasn't too impressed on my first taste, but after I stirred in about a generous 1/4 t. MSG (TJ's recipe doesn't include any), it tasted better on our open-faced hot chicken sandwiches and mashed potatoes. A 1/4 c. serving has no measurable protein, so it really needed that hit of MSG umami. It was probably better than mainstream brands, with less chemical tang. The husband liked it a lot, and I didn't tell him it wasn't homemade, and he seemed not to notice, so YMMV. After eating the homemade gravy for chicken and dumplings I made just two days ago, I won't be stocking up next fall.

Great news for the gluten free crowd, though. It's thickened with tapioca starch and potato flour.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I use this from time to time as a stop gap

it does need help, but starts off better than the other jarred stuff in the supermarket.

I add bells seasoning, maybe some garlic, s drop or two of redcoat, etc

• Like 1

Thai Sweet Chile Veggie Burgers were surprisingly good. I prepared them as suggested on the package, on a metal tray in a 450F oven (Breville). The edges crisped up nicely but the rest was still soft -- a not-uncommon occurrence with veggie burgers. They exuded some oil while cooking. There was a slight capsicum kick, maybe a 2 on a 10-point scale. A patty is only 2.5 oz, so two would be a reasonable serving. Next time, I'd lean toward making a double burger on a roll with some additions for texture -- lettuce or slaw at the very least. Two patties have 16 g of protein (mostly soy), also 540 mg sodium and 34 g carbohydrates.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On 2/16/2016 at 1:15 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

We tried the Tiramisu Torte, and it was certainly respectable. ...

...The box says not to refreeze after thawing, but I did so any way, because after only 3 hours thawing in the fridge the product was very soft and already beginning to weep. Not at all like the firm cheesecake-like texture in their picture. There were even still some slightly frozen areas at the center of the slices we ate. I think this would be better for a large family or dinner party where you'd use the whole thing at once. You might also want to go with the minimum recommended fridge thaw time of 2 hours. We shall see what my rebellious refreezing does to the texture. Either way this probably won't become one of my TJ's regulars. Not when it sits right next to good old New York cheesecake and the Chocolate Dilemma Cheesecake.

Reporting back on the effects of refreezing the TJ's Tiramisu Torte, as we tried some more of it today. I just set it out on the counter from the freezer for a few minutes while cleaning the kitchen after dinner. When it was softened enough to slice, I plated it, and we ate it frozen. It looked much more like the picture on the box this time and sliced and plated better. It was still slightly frozen when we ate it with sliced strawberries, and I would ignore the no refreeze advice on the package. The texture was fine, and still in it's frozen state, not soft and weepy like last time. Still not buying it again.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I am sure this product has been previously mentioned in this discussion:

TJ's Fully Cooked Frozen Brown Rice (It's the middle item in this picture - click)

I'm not a fan of brown rice, especially making it from scratch...I think it's too much like oatmeal in flavor.

But I was happily surprised with this TJ's product. There are three packages or fully cooked rice in the box. It was easy to heat in the microwave and while it was "toothsome", it was a far cry from the oatmeal-like brown rice I've had in the past. Two thumbs up from me.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Brought home two spicy products today. 

Cowboy Caviar...salsa with black beans, corn and peppers.  Muy picante y excelente!  I would buy it again.  

Sweet Chili Jam....really wanted and expected to like this, but the 'seed' factor from the chilies makes it chewy and stick-between-the-teeth uncomfortable.  Flavor is good so I may play with it...maybe dilute into a soup or sauce??  I don't think it'd sieve well as the seed ratio is quite high.  

Ate both straight out of the jar and will serve as condiments with tonight's grilled salmon fillet.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Toliver, will each package feed two people?

Each of the three cellophane packages enclosed in the box look to be about a cup or so of cooked rice. You could split a cellophane bag with someone without having leftovers. I still have the two other cellophane packages in my freezer and will measure one of them and reply back, soon, hopefully.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:46 AM, ElsieD said:

Toliver, will each package feed two people?

Hi, Elsie ... both types of frozen brown rice and the frozen rice medley come in 10-oz packages.  Toots and I enjoy them a few times a year.  Each packet provides sufficient rice for the two of us when eaten with an entrée. 

I

• Like 1

... Shel

Holy moly,  Chris Hennes, next weekend keep me away from the bacon popcorn.  That stuff is sinful.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

went by Tj's and they had this :

56dc94160c13c_TJsMoose.jpg.f4d6301ef4368

sorry for the rotated pic.  

this is the same cake from Valentines  but in 'eggs'

it delicious.

one pack serves 3/4's a person   Ice cold milk etc

Im actually pleased these seem  'Occational'

Id eat way to manny.

remember, don't like ? take back.

• Like 5

On March 6, 2016 at 4:50 PM, joiei said:

Holy moly,  Chris Hennes, next weekend keep me away from the bacon popcorn.  That stuff is sinful.  

It is very heavily flavored. Cheddar and porky smoke. A bit overwhelming after a few handfuls.

TJ baconesque bacon popcorn

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Fix picture link (log)
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

[Bacon Popcorn]...is very heavily flavored. Cheddar and porky smoke. A bit overwhelming after a few handfuls.

I think it's perfect for snacking...except I mean snacking where you have a little bit but don't eat the entire bag...not like I've done something like that before.9_9 xD

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

On 3/4/2016 at 9:46 AM, ElsieD said:

Toliver, will each package [of TJ's frozen Fully Cooked Brown Rice] feed two people?

A more succinct answer than before...Yes.

This weekend I heated up one of the bags in the microwave and then measured the heated rice in a dry-ingredient measuring cup (as opposed to a liquid measuring cup) and found the yield of one of the bags (three bags in a box) came out to approx. one & 3/4 cups servings of brown rice.

• Like 2

Tim Oliver

13 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I think it's perfect for snacking...except I mean snacking where you have a little bit but don't eat the entire bag...not like I've done something like that before.9_9 xD

Well, I only had a small bowl full but it didn't agree with me at all. I felt really queasy afterwards.

Thank god for Fernet. Best remedy for upset stomachs.  :)

23 hours ago, rotuts said:

went by Tj's and they had this :

56dc94160c13c_TJsMoose.jpg.f4d6301ef4368

sorry for the rotated pic.  

this is the same cake from Valentines  but in 'eggs'

it delicious.

one pack serves 3/4's a person   Ice cold milk etc

Im actually pleased these seem  'Occational'

Id eat way to manny.

remember, don't like ? take back.

One pack serves 3/4's OF a person? Or 3 to 4 people? It looks as though there are 6 in a pack - would that not serve 6? I am sincerely hoping though that what you meant was that a whole package would be better for someone like me when I am on a binge and want to rationalize that I only ate 3/4's of a serving (while devouring the whole pack)? :)

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Deryn said:

One pack serves 3/4's OF a person? Or 3 to 4 people? It looks as though there are 6 in a pack - would that not serve 6? I am sincerely hoping though that what you meant was that a whole package would be better for someone like me when I am on a binge and want to rationalize that I only ate 3/4's of a serving (while devouring the whole pack)? :)

I was wondering what the other 1/4 of a person got.

• Like 2

ohh, I never thought about fernet and a bag of bacon popcorn..  that could work.  I have tomorrow off and I  can see a trainwreck happening.  

• Like 2

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Since I haven't seen it mentioned, I'd suggest checking out TJ's pot pies from the frozen

section.  They're really quite good.  Very nicely browned crust, enveloping a richly meaty

stew.  The crust surrounds all sides of the stew.  They come in a Steak and Ale variety and

a Chicken Balti Pie variety.  The latter is a chicken curry stew, with a curry powder sort of

flavoring.  They can be microwaved, but are much better at 350F in the oven for

about 50 minutes.

Edited by Jon B. (log)
  • Like 3

On March 4, 2016 at 2:15 PM, gulfporter said:

Sweet Chili Jam....really wanted and expected to like this, but the 'seed' factor from the chilies makes it chewy and stick-between-the-teeth uncomfortable.  Flavor is good so I may play with it...maybe dilute into a soup or sauce??  I don't think it'd sieve well as the seed ratio is quite high.  

@gulfporter's post reminded me that I had a jar of TJ's Hot & Sweet Chili Jam that I'd intended to serve with baked brie over the holidays.  This AM, I put a layer on a grilled cheese sandwich and thought it added a nice little kick.  It is indeed very seedy and they do sort of stick in the teeth but with this thin layer, I didn't find it uncomfortable.  I'd like to try it in a sweet & spicy vinaigrette on a salad with some berries, citrus and greens.  Maybe thinned with a bit of apricot brandy and drizzled over a scoop of vanilla ice cream?

I like to keep some sort of hot and sweet jam on hand and this will do but generally, there are more interesting options available, like the Red Bell Pepper and Ancho Chili Jam from Earth & Vine or the peach and red jalapeño jam that I made last summer!

• Like 1