• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

I don't believe there would be much of an issue returning things to the Loblaw's group of stores for the simple reason that you did not like it. I tend to be like you and just mark it up to experience and rarely return anything that I just don't like.  But I stood beside a woman who was returning blueberries with the explanation that she purchased them and then had to go away for two weeks and now they were no longer fresh.   I am quite sure that my jaw dropped. But her money was refunded without question. I am not advocating for frivolous returns as they cost all of us money but having watched this if I did buy something that I felt was expensive and not to my taste I don't think I would have difficulty returning it. I think if it is done only rarely the store is wise to try to retain a customer under these circumstances.  Stores do you want us to try new products so there has to be some leeway.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  Interesting.  Well, I could never be like that woman who returned the blueberries, but I sure was disappointed in that tube of unami paste, mainly because I had such high hopes for something that turned out to not be to my liking.  I do try their new stuff so will keep in mind the return idea for something I truly don't like.

• Like 1

I return not for the refund , but with hopes that that info gets back to someone and helps them make decisions for future stocking.

I of course , live in a world all my own.

BTW  the stuffing and gravy were beyond resuscitation     the box for the stuffing said 3 1/2 water for dry stuffing  and 4 for wet.  I split the dif

and got a stodgy glob of stuffing.

however   some like it that way.

both are going back.    hope to remember the calamari  and the ginger  unami.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

I don't believe there would be much of an issue returning things to the Loblaw's group of stores for the simple reason that you did not like it. I tend to be like you and just mark it up to experience and rarely return anything that I just don't like.  But I stood beside a woman who was returning blueberries with the explanation that she purchased them and then had to go away for two weeks and now they were no longer fresh.   I am quite sure that my jaw dropped. But her money was refunded without question. I am not advocating for frivolous returns as they cost all of us money but having watched this if I did buy something that I felt was expensive and not to my taste I don't think I would have difficulty returning it. I think if it is done only rarely the store is wise to try to retain a customer under these circumstances.  Stores do you want us to try new products so there has to be some leeway.

Holy cow! That takes nerve!

Deb

Liberty, MO

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

I don't believe there would be much of an issue returning things to the Loblaw's group of stores for the simple reason that you did not like it. I tend to be like you and just mark it up to experience and rarely return anything that I just don't like.  But I stood beside a woman who was returning blueberries with the explanation that she purchased them and then had to go away for two weeks and now they were no longer fresh.   I am quite sure that my jaw dropped. But her money was refunded without question. I am not advocating for frivolous returns as they cost all of us money but having watched this if I did buy something that I felt, or was expensive and not to my taste I don't think I would have difficulty returning it. I think if it is done only rarely the store is wise to try to retain a customer under these circumstances.  Stores do you want us to try new products so there has to be some leeway.

I have been shopping at our local TJ's since it opened - 8 or 10 years - and was told, more than once, that TJ's wants customers to try new products, and to encourage that they have a generous refund policy.  I don't take advantage of their policy, and don't follow a rotutsian philosophy of "take it back," but I do return things that have been unsatisfactory, damaged, or perhaps spoiled.

There was a time when I was looking at an item in the dairy case trying to decide if I wanted to buy it.  A crew member saw me, and offered to open the product right there so I could give it a try.  She said that any time I wanted to try an item, all I had to do was ask a crew member, and they'd be accommodating.  I've only done that two or three times over the years, but, from the perspective of the consumer, it's a great policy.

• Like 1

... Shel

today from Tj's "

TJ's chips.jpg

I have not tried the Umami Duo.   I plan to keep them in the freezer  where they still might Oooze out a dab , or place in warm water for a minute or two.

Its possible the Chips were mentioned last year , and I ran to my Tj's and tried to get some and they sold out.   more or less.

these chips are thick and nicely crunchy.   Id like a little less salt in them , but what can you do ?

no taste of turkey nor stuffing.   decent herb flavor : chives , parsley perhaps , maybe a little sage ?

a nice chip , but not Thanksgiving-ish.

• Like 3

I will be curious to hear what people think of the Umami stuff.  The idea of a brown paste-like condiment isn't terribly appealing, but I'm still curious.

I keep ginger in the freezer - easy to grab and microplane what I need so I don't think I'll spring for that one

• Like 1

The Loblaw's President's Choice Umami paste was wildly overpriced and wasn't all that great.

A product I use for a stealth umami hit to a dish is shrimp paste: http://canada.lkk.com/en/Products/FeaturedProduct/featured_product_20138

I use it in preparations where you may have added a few chopped anchovies. The strong flavour of the raw paste disappears with continued cooking.

Edited by Wayne (log)
  • Like 3

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Today, I found small aseptic packages of whipping cream on the shelf in the baking section, $1.29 each. (IIRC, 8oz, it's like a juice box) I got two of them and will test one soon. The expiration date on them is April 2017. I think these will quickly become pantry staples. Imagine being able to whip up mousse anytime, or dress up a dessert with whipped cream on a moment's notice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

Today, I found small aseptic packages of whipping cream on the shelf in the baking section

I've been getting them from TJ's for a few years now and keeping them on hand for those whipping cream emergencies that pop up from time to time.  They say they're shelf stable but I find they keep better in the fridge, especially if they'll be hanging around for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've been getting them from TJ's for a few years now and keeping them on hand for those whipping cream emergencies that pop up from time to time.  They say they're shelf stable but I find they keep better in the fridge, especially if they'll be hanging around for a while.

They tend to get lumpy - I'd like to be able to pour out just part of a container at a time and it's hard with the lumps.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Ok noted. I still think they will brighten up the emergency supplies quite a bit.

Indeed - I've often pulled one out of the fridge when I am without. The european aseptic cream is so much more liquid though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/11/2016 at 5:34 PM, ElsieD said:

@Anna N  Interesting.  Well, I could never be like that woman who returned the blueberries, but I sure was disappointed in that tube of unami paste, mainly because I had such high hopes for something that turned out to not be to my liking.  I do try their new stuff so will keep in mind the return idea for something I truly don't like.

For future reference, "I just didn't care for it" is explicitly considered a valid reason to refund a PC product from Loblaw's. 

I've never had them/seen them refuse a grocery return for any reason, nor any piece of store-branded general merchandise. For brand-name products out of their general merchandise section, the rules might be different. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I spied this new-to-me Baked Lemon Ricotta Cheese on a recent TJ's visit.  A while back, I made some homemade baked lemon ricotta cheese and was curious to compare the results so I picked some up.

IMG_4204.jpg

My homemade stuff was just flavored with lemon zest so it was fairly savory and paired well with crusty bread and salty olives.  This stuff on the other hand, is really quite sweet, almost like a cheesecake.  In fact, I also made a lemon ricotta cheesecake but this is even sweeter.  I can see it on breakfast waffles with fresh fruit or maybe on some extra spicy gingerbread.  

The blurb about it in the TJ's flyer suggests stirring it into pasta to make a creamy lemon sauce.  I really can't imagine pasta with cheesecake sauce :shock:.  I'm debating between trying it because it sounds so weird or taking it back now while there's only a little sliver missing.  

• Like 5

I saw that the other day and was wondering about it.  Yes to your sandwich idea!

I'd say smear a thin layer on some nice crusty bread (maybe toasted lightly first), top with some parmesan or romano cheese and give it a run under the broiler for a nice onion toastie!

I bet a smear would be good on sandwiches, like a grilled cheese or roast pork or beef....

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

Make Focaccia bread, spread it on the dough unevenly and thinly, leaving some small bare patches. Then use your fingers to make dimples in the dough. Toss some finely minced fresh rosemary (or ground dry rosemary) on top, sprinkle some olive oil all over, then sprinkle with large grain kosher salt. (If you tend towards the OCD, try to get the salt in the non-jam areas) Proof a little and bake.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

Roasted Garlic & Onion Jam, around $3.

Very tasty! But very sweet. I'm at a loss what to do with it. I've been eating it with pita chips but there has  to be something better.

Maybe in a sandwich?

onion jam.JPG

I'm definitely thinking sandwich. Or in an appetizer: either as part of a baked brie (spread on top of a small round, wrap in puff pastry, and bake till the pastry is cooked; serve with crackers) or as the topping to a savory cheesecake.

Or is it potent enough that you could add water and turn it into a bowl-at-a-time of soup?

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

18 hours ago, Smokeydoke said:

Roasted Garlic & Onion Jam, around $3.

Very tasty! But very sweet. I'm at a loss what to do with it. I've been eating it with pita chips but there has  to be something better.

Maybe in a sandwich?

onion jam.JPG

Perhaps in rolls - I make a cinnamon roll type thing for various big green egg eggfests and switch up the recipe every time.  One time I replaced the cinnamon with a layer of cream cheese, a sprinkle of old cheddar shreds - a bit of the bacon onion jam that Presidents choice makes. Might fit well in there as a counterpoint to the cheese.

• Like 4

Damn you, TJ's! >:(

I ventured into my local TJ's last week and found they had their seasonal goodies: Dark Chocolate-covered Shortbread Stars and their (Iced) Gingerbread Men. I caved. 

Both items contain huge quantities (great for parties, not for a single consumer :o). I am slowly nibbling my way through the Chocolate Stars. 

>sigh< I have the spine of a zoodle. xD

• Like 5

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 11/14/2016 at 3:44 PM, dscheidt said:

I noticed with some amusement today that my local trader joe's has a display of $115 bottles of wine.  (Something red, 'for cellaring'.  I'm not their customer for that, so didn't look harder.)  Long way from two buck chuck...

Did you buy it? I am curious how it tastes...for that price...well...

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice