• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

12 hours ago, Toliver said:

TJ in the news...the bloom is off the rose, so to speak

Well, I still love my local TJ's. The employees have always been friendly and helpful and seem to be happy to be working there.

If you tried to dig up negativity and employee dissatisfaction at many, many workplaces, I'm sure Trader Joe's would be a small blip down at the bottom of the radar, if it didn't fall completely off.

Mr. Nagle, the primary disgruntled ex-TJ's worker featured in the article worked at a location in Manhattan. Real estate is notoriously expensive there, and the stockroom may be undersized to make more room for the income producing sales floor. Another of his complaints is about noxious odors making employees sick. Does this sound like something that would not be immediately addressed in a store packed with customers? I agree though, on reprimands to employees over the PA system. That is ridiculous in a store, again, packed with customers.

We're all human beings, and we are going to have personality conflicts, bad days, and so on. There are going to be bad practices going on in some workplaces.

I don't think TJ's is in danger of going down the tubes based on this article. Mr. Nagle should thank his lucky stars he doesn't have to work for Walmart, which sadly is the largest private employer in our country. It's also one of the worst IMO, and this is supported by the many court decisions against them where they violated labor laws.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

TJ in the news...the bloom is off the rose, so to speak:

"Your local Trader Joe’s workers might not be so happy after all"

The times they are a-changin'...

I see ... TJ's is going down the tubes because one (or a few) employees are disgruntled about a few things. While managerial reprimands in the fashion described are not a good thing, some of the other points brought up in the article seem insignificant.  While it's quite possible that there are some problems in the area, I don't see it being a big deal for TJ's overall.  They'll fix the problem and life will go on, and, unlike with WalMart, I'll continue to be a happy shopper at my local, happy TJ's.

The attitude of the staff at the three local TJ's that I frequent is so far superior to that of Safeway, Lucky, Raleys, and even the local organic market, it's as though they are from different planets.

• Like 3

... Shel

While any store might have a management or policy problem, this story doesn't ring true to me.  To find out that a union is driving it makes it even more suspect.

The act of issuing reprimands over the PA is the least TJ thing I can imagine.  Far worse than any causes listed for the employee.

I don't know if I've ever even heard the PA used in our TJs.  They tend to ring bells.

[Edit - deleted question which could lead directly to political discussion]

Edited by IndyRob (log)
  • Like 1

I spotted a new TJ's item today and decided to check it out.  Panko Breaded Calamari from the freezer case.  I believe the price was $3.99 for the 1 lb box. 

IMG_4100.jpg

On the plate with limes and some of TJ's Sriracha Ranch Dressing as a dipping sauce. I was going to mix up something more interesting but I was getting hangry so I went with what was at hand and rather messily squirted it into the dish.

I gave them 9 min @ 450F on steam bake in the CSO, flipped them over for 2 more min @ 450F, convection bake.

IMG_4101.jpg

They are quite nice. The breading is very crunchy and the calamari has the appropriate chewy but tender texture. I tried to pick out a representative sampling for my first round.  Some rings are sort of squished together, rather than open rings but they tasted fine, no doughy globs in the middle or anything like that. The main difference between the photo on the box and the actual product is the tentacle pieces, which are understandably difficult to coat with a breading vs a batter so some are splayed out but don't have much coating like the specimen at 6 o'clock on my plate and others are folded up like a hand with fingers together, as you can see in the piece at 5 o'clock.  The splayed out but uncoated tentacles did get a bit chewy.  The other one was less aesthetically pleasing but didn't get over cooked and had good texture.  The box says there are five 85g servings. What you see on my plate was closer to 120g and I could probably eat twice that amount.  And I may, as I'm tempted to put some more into the oven.

I can't find these on the TJ's website so here's the label info:
IMG_4102.jpgIMG_4103.jpg

• Like 3

@ blue-dolphin

I almost wept when I read your post-calamari happens to be one of my favorite foods.

...so, I've just returned from TJ's with said item and a new bottle of Siracha in hand.

Darn it, I hate when I put on my holiday 20 before Thanksgiving...sigh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

Do post back with your opinion, @NWKate.  I say they're not as good as deep fried, perfectly coated with a light batter but they're not chewy old rubber bands, eitherxD

Then in there is truly no hope- I'm trying to stave off the cravings but as long as they're not too rubbery, they have to be an improvement on the so-called steamed mussels.  By the way, I will be using my Cuisinart convection toaster oven so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Have siracha will travel!

• Like 1

PS I did I not follow the directions on the package ( seriously, 9 minutes on 1 side, 1 minute on the other?). More like 5 minutes  & 4 minutes on the others and this seemed to work.  Please pray for my hips...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NWKate said:

PS I did I not follow the directions on the package ( seriously, 9 minutes on 1 side, 1 minute on the other?). More like 5 minutes  & 4 minutes on the others and this seemed to work.  Please pray for my hips...

There are a few similar products that I use, and every one of them requires adjusting time, temp, and technique to get it just the way I like it.  I wouldn't expect these calamari (which I will look for the next time I'm at TJ's) to be any different.

• Like 1

... Shel

4 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

There are a few similar products that I use, and every one of them requires adjusting time, temp, and technique to get it just the way I like it.  I wouldn't expect these calamari (which I will look for the next time I'm at TJ's) to be any different.

I am only an amateur cook but when even I can tell that these times are off that is very telling- thank you for your verification!

A couple of new items at one of the Tucson TJ's.

The umami paste includes tomato purée, red wine vinegar, parmesan cheese, black olives, anchovy paste, garlic, mushroom powder, balsamic vinegar, organic grape must, sugar, salt, oil and lemon juice concentrate. Whew, quite a list. I used a bit in a rice, tomato and broth dish and it tasted great but I didn't compare with and without the paste. 

The ginger paste is ginger, oil, salt, lemon juice. I used a bit in a mango chutney I was making and I put in too much - it's quite a concentrated paste. 

IMGP6371.JPG

• Like 5

12 hours ago, FauxPas said:

A couple of new items at one of the Tucson TJ's.

The umami paste includes tomato purée, red wine vinegar, parmesan cheese, black olives, anchovy paste, garlic, mushroom powder, balsamic vinegar, organic grape must, sugar, salt, oil and lemon juice concentrate. Whew, quite a list. I used a bit in a rice, tomato and broth dish and it tasted great but I didn't compare with and without the paste. 

The ginger paste is ginger, oil, salt, lemon juice. I used a bit in a mango chutney I was making and I put in too much - it's quite a concentrated paste. 

IMGP6371.JPG

I bought both of these on my last trip to TJ's, but haven't used them yet. I'm glad you posted this because I'd honestly forgotten I got them! I need to pull them out so I try them soon.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

21 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I bought both of these on my last trip to TJ's, but haven't used them yet. I'm glad you posted this because I'd honestly forgotten I got them! I need to pull them out so I try them soon.

Does the umami paste have a limited shelf life once opened?  It was a deal breaker for me on a similar product in Canada.  I would have to be feeding an army to use it up in time given.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Does the umami paste have a limited shelf life once opened?  It was a deal breaker for me on a similar product in Canada.  I would have to be feeding an army to use it up in time given

Yes, both packages state "refrigerate once opened and use within 28 days" though the "best by" date is July, 2018. I'm not worried about using it all within 28 days, but I don't think I would keep it a lot longer than that. But I suppose it could be frozen and saved, also. 

I can't remember the price but I think it only cost a couple of dollars so I'm not worried about using it all up.  

• Like 2

Trader Joes is in its Turkey Stretch :

TJ's Stuff.jpg

they sampled these today.   the gravy is refrigerated  and the stuffing asks for butter and water.

both were OK for a very quick " Fix "  both are bland and for me will require additional Bell's seasoning , and perhaps some garlic in the gravy  

garlic was used liberally in my house while growing up , but for some reason not much in a  " Turkey Dinner "

• Like 2

On November 8, 2016 at 0:29 PM, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

didn't Presidents Choice have a similar product in CAN ?

I remember   the ''  Chef BrandName  "  which Ive forgotten was expensive in the USA

Ill try both and freeze them

Yes, they did and perhaps still do.  It was an expensive item but as I recall I never did get around to using it before it expired!  Mea culpa. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yes, they did and perhaps still do.  It was an expensive item but as I recall I never did get around to using it before it expired!  Mea culpa. 

I bought a tube of that when it first came out.  I thought it was dreadful, and threw it out.

N.P. :  Ill try the TJ's stuff , and freeze it and see what I need to do to get a little of it out from time to time.

\I can't see a use for the Umami one , mage soups.   I see more use My Way for the Ginger.

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD  

TJ's I can Take Back !

money-mouth.gif

I'm pretty sure you can take back President's Choice products also. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

13 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I'm pretty sure you can take back President's Choice products also. 

It never occurred to me.  I have never thought to take sonething back because I didn't like something but I have taken stuff back if there was something wrong with it.  Boxes of smashed crackers come to mind.

We now have a Farm Boy a 5 minute walk from where I live which is aiming to be the "Trader Joe's of the North".  (Quotation marks mine and slogan dreamt up by me.)  They have a plethora of house branded items and more all the time, and of very good quality.  I am going to test their return policy.  I was making lunch today and pulled a Farm Boy  jar of Pickled Hot and Sweet Peppers out of the pantry only to discover that it wasn't sealed.  We'll see how that retùrn goes.