• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

had a hankering for Dogs Grilled    ( i.e. Micro's then torch-chafed )

I was even thinking of going  back for a second try on the TJ's uncured beef, I was that keen.

( ed.: they are not really bad , just not  'juicy' with Pop )

I spied these :

TJ's Brat Korean.jpg

Tj's has a lot of sausages     many made with Chicken  which Ive avoided in the past re chicken fat and sodium.   they actually are lean  and Ill try a few more

I love sausage.  in Mt.View  there is 

http://www.dittmers.com

they cure and make their own sausage and bacon and deli meats.   while in CA off and on visiting my parents I used to

say hello to them then motor on down to D's first thing.   they used to be a similar place in the BOS area in the 80's called

Smoke House    but it seems to have contracted as it became not-PC re animal fat.   Piggy Fat is not Animal fat , its Piggy Fat !

any way   I micro'd one Brat  ( fully cooked ! ) then torched :

TJ's soft bun , micro's 10 second for that Steamy Softness :

TJ Brat.jpg

the usual red onion  and grainy mustard.

this is a fine grained Brat  , but not as fine as  The Queen os Sausage  : weisswurst    which is a veal sausage very finely ground

this brat had good flavor.  the skin peeled off with the torch and might have benefited with more torching.

it did have ' staying-power '   not like McDonalds has staying power  , mild staying power  which may o may not appeal to you.

Once I have a refress'd palate    Ill try the Korean.

• Like 5

TJ's Korean.jpg

TJ's Spicy Ck Sausage :  " Korean Inspired Kalbi BBQ "

didn't remind me of Korean , note BBQ    but a mighty fine  Hotdog !

juicy.  mild to mod heat.   touch of sweetness   maybe some paprika ?  natural casing I think   : some snap if not torched.

my Go-to-Dog  from now on.

• Like 3

On 8/8/2016 at 5:52 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

This is a little more liquid than what I am used to, and also quite yellow on top, which I don't mind but bothered my daughter who prefers the more basic Greek yoghurt. :)

Kids...my daughter instead prefers this to regular greek yogurt. I use a small whisk to make it lump free. I prefer thicker greek yogurt. I also keep the bottom of all the TJ's freeze dried fruits (banana, strawberry, raspberry especially) and when I have enough I use a coffee grinder to make powders, keep them in a jar in the freezer to make instant fruits yogurts for her.

• Like 3

TJ's :

TJ's Sauce.jpg

great stuff !  1/3d or so cheaper  ( about the same as many of their items ) than other supermarkets

excellent items :

Tots Sauce.jpg

an excellent snack ;

CSB tots :  very crispy   yet creamy in the center

2/3  SeaFood  and 1/3  horseradish   hot hot but just enough  !

ie not enough so your Upper sunis'  Explode

just enough for them to think about it !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

TJ's :

TJ's Sauce.jpg

great stuff !  1/3d or so cheaper  ( about the same as many of their items ) than other supermarkets

The horseradish has a reasonable list of ingredients ... I might give it a try.  I'm not crazy about the soybean oil, much preferring simply grated horseradish, vinegar, and salt.  I guess this is a shelf rather than a cold case item.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

Glad to hear they are good. I bought them just before we left town, so haven't tried them yet.

I ate them as is and also used in arugula based salad.  Delicious.  I will buy a few packages since they do not need to be refrigerated until you open them.

image.jpg

• Like 7

18 hours ago, chefmd said:

I ate them as is and also used in arugula based salad.  Delicious.  I will buy a few packages since they do not need to be refrigerated until you open them.

image.jpg

Yes, that does sound like quite the bargain! I want some too, so they're going on my TJ's list too.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Tj's was sampling their frozen mozzarella cheese sticks.  paired with their refrigerated ' Home Made '  ' Mild ' salsa

the salsa was more or less a marinara chunky with a little heat.

the sticks were very crunchy and made a good paring with this sauce.

a couple of Ice Cold Tecate's would have been nice with them.

"  a weeks worth of Sodium in every bite ! '

Tecate, you see , is a known diuretic.

these sticks would also have been nice with their frozen mango chutney , and the rest of your Tecates.

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/948

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

i tried the dried kalamata's test.    i love Kalamata olives and use Tj's kalamata olive oil.

Ive never heard of dried olives.   

indeed these were not dried.  they are kalamata brined olives that are vacuum packed.   they are the real deal and on the small side w pits.

If you love Kalamata   and don't have a middle eastern store near you   ( w multiple vats of olives and pickled things ) 

these are much better and cheaper than what you might find in a WhiteBread supermarket.

based on the supermarket prices    the olives I get in the middle eastern stores   ( 2 1/2 towns away ) are not only much better  they are 

< 1/2 price.      so these are fine if that's all you can routinely get.

• Like 3

Trader Joe's Authentico Spicy guacamole... The TSA confiscated it at the airport as a banned liquid. She offered me a chance to check it in... I have her a dumb look and told her that it was my lunch (and a zip lock of black bean taquitos) and to toss it.

To quote Bugs Bunny.. What a bunch of maroons. 

• Like 4

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Ive started making pasta dishes again as its cooled down here :

I forgot to mention in that thread  , as I forgot to make some initially . I use TJ's Dorot ( from Israel ) Fz basil and garlic.  they keep well in the freezer and the garlic has

a consistent flavor unlike fresh I see in most of the supermarkets these days 

Dorot.jpg

Dorot II.jpg

they used to carry parsley and cilantro in a similar packaging  but it was terrible.  my local Tj's no longer has that and that's not loss what so ever

I punch out what I need for the particular dish in a small pyrex dish  I add some olive oil 

Pyex Dorot.jpg

it either melts on its own if Im doing other things or I very carefully micro the dish  just enough to melt.   the garlic can burn if you are not carefull

15 seconds ?      then it gets added to the pan where the bacon has been cooked and eventually coats all the pasta.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite treat this time of year: Thomcord grapes. In a clamshell at TJs. They were nice and fresh today. Love them! They taste more like Concord grapes than Thompson seedless but they are still seedless, so great for pies, focaccia, various cakes, etc. By the time I get to thinking about baking with them I've already eaten most of them. And that's within an hour of taking them home. Mmm, so delicious. 

• Like 3

TJ's Organic Vanilla Fudge Chip Ice Cream

I really like this ice cream!  It has a nice, rich, well-rounded vanilla flavor with some slight floral notes.  It's not a heavy, premium ice cream, like Haagen Daz, but, rather, an excellent commercial ice cream, in the same general category as Dryers, Baskin Robins, or Breyers, but, IMO, a definite notch or two up.  The ice cream has a nice, satisfying mouth feel.  The fudge chips are plentiful, not so much that they overwhelm or compete with the flavor and texture of the ice cream, yet enough to offer an enjoyable texture that compliments the ice cream in every bite.  Their size is just perfect for my taste and preference.  This is definitely worth a try, and I know that I'll be buying it again.  Definitely worth a try - a quart-sized carton for $5.99 - it's definitely a good value.

Ingredients: Organic Milk, Organic Cream, Organic Sugar, Organic Skim Milk, Organic Fudge Chips (Organic Cane Sugar, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Cocoa, Organic Soybean Oil, Organic Cocoa Liquor, Organic Soy Lecithin), Organic Carob Bean Gum, Organic Guar Gum, Organic Vanilla Extract. CONTAINS MILK, SOY, COCONUT.

I posted this review earlier in the day and it "disappeared."  I hope this one stays active ...

Trader Joe's Vanilla Fudge Chip.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I noticed TJ's has a relatively new Pizza in their frozen section :

P 1.jpg

I usually get the Italian 3 or 4 cheese and add pepperoni.  there is no decent pizza parlor near me.  they are many7 , but either to fancy or not any good at all

p2.jpg

baked in the BVXL  ( after a dusting off the BV ) 

On the Plate  w greek oregano , chili flakes  olive oil and green tabasco

p3.jpg

this was  a very good pizza considering every thing.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

Poor design of labelling!   Thought it was an uncured pizza,. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

indeed.   TJ's  has a lot of Uncured stuff .

Im of the age that its not going to matter.

still , Id wish they slowly cut down all the Commercial salt  .  That's going to matter for sure some day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

...still , Id wish they slowly cut down all the Commercial salt  ....

I concur. It's kept me away from all of their frozen Fried Rice/Asian stir-fry packages. The amount of sodium per serving is frighteningly outrageous. :o :(

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 24 settembre 2016 at 10:20 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Favorite treat this time of year: Thomcord grapes. In a clamshell at TJs. They were nice and fresh today. Love them! They taste more like Concord grapes than Thompson seedless but they are still seedless, so great for pies, focaccia, various cakes, etc. By the time I get to thinking about baking with them I've already eaten most of them. And that's within an hour of taking them home. Mmm, so delicious. 

Thank you Kate, I bought it today to make schiacciata con l'uva

image.jpeg

• Like 8