• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Has anyone enjoyed any of the other items I purchased today? 

Out of the things you bought, I've only tried the shrimp nuggets.  As @rotuts reported above, they crisped up nicely in the Cuisi steam oven.  I liked them.  They'd be nice to keep on hand for impromptu happy hour visitors but I'd know they were in the freezer and eat them all myself xD!

I think I bought the frozen sweet corn when I needed it for something.  Sort of a generic commodity item but I keep the roasted corn kernels on hand all the time as I use them in bean salads, black bean salsa and other dishes. 

I'd never noticed the shrimp toasts before you mentioned them but I picked up a box last time I was there.  I agree that I could probably eat the whole box in one go!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I partially responded to this in an above post. I still haven't tried the bacon jam, battered halibut or perline prosciutto pasta. The mac & cheese bites were pretty good but greasy. I like the coconut shrimp. 

Today I bought the dill pickle popcorn-- pretty good-- but we like pickles. I also bought the pork gyoza, chicken fried rice, mushroom risotto, chicken chili lime burgers, A-1 guacamole, mandarin orange chicken, frozen organic jasmine rice, mozzarella and tomato salad, frozen sweet corn, shrimp nuggets and the chocolate covered banana bites. Other than the popcorn, we had the jasmine rice tonight which was easy to make and fine and the banana bites which my husband disliked and I found to be okay-- good for a quick fix if I am craving a little something sweet. I also bought an insulated bag because according to my car, it was 95 degrees when I walked into the store. And humid as hell. 

I'll likely have the mozzarella and tomato salad for lunch tomorrow (it came in a mixed greens salad with kalamata olives and pine nuts). Has anyone enjoyed any of the other items I purchased today? 

We buy the chicken chili lime burgers whenever we get to TJ's which sadly isn't near often enough.  They are quite good, and we top them with julienned carrots, cukes and red pepper in seasoned rice vinegar.  We have also had the mandarin orange chicken which was okay but I doubt I would get it again, as we have just the one car cooler and there are things I would rather occupy that space.  (TJ's is 3 hours away from here.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TJ's Fish Nuggets  via the CSB :

TJ FishN 1.jpg

TJ FishN 2.jpg

CSB 400 steam-bake until crispy

TJ FishN 3.jpg

fancy Hellman's ;  helmans w Tj's siracha BBQ sauce

B +     I should have turned them over for a bit, but OK this way.

• Like 5

had to swing by TJ's for some sourdough for toast  etc.

they have a new product  :  100 % avocado oil.

I asked about this and they had some open in the back and offered me a taste.

it had almost no flavor of any kind at all.  they suggested it had a higher smoke point etc

none of the TJ's buds of mine thought much of it at all

its 8.99 for not that big a bottle.

at least I didn't get a bottle then take it back.

very odd stuff.  I was hoping for a Big Avocado Punch.

nothing here at all to my taste

:|

Edited by rotuts (log)

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

had to swing by TJ's for some sourdough for toast  etc.

they have a new product  :  100 % avocado oil.

I asked about this and they had some open in the back and offered me a taste.

it had almost no flavor of any kind at all.  they suggested it had a higher smoke point etc

none of the TJ's buds of mine thought much of it at all

its 8.99 for not that big a bottle.

at least I didn't get a bottle then take it back.

very odd stuff.  I was hoping for a Big Avocado Punch.

nothing here at all to my taste

:|

Wait a minute.  You mean avocados are supposed to taste of something? Never noticed. Keeping it on point...  I believe it is its neutrality and its smoke point  combined with some health claims that make it desirable.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

well, the avocados I tranch up taste 

like Mellow  Big Fat that's not going to Kill Me this day

no idea what you get North of the Border

unctuous

said to be healthy

lets just remember  it key to Guacamole 

with mix-ins

so   your get the tasteless stuff Your Way ?

o.O

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

well, the avocados I tranch up taste 

like Mellow  Big Fat that's not going to Kill Me this day

no idea what you get North of the Border

unctuous

said to be healthy

lets just remember  it key to Guacamole 

with mix-ins

so   your get the tasteless stuff Your Way ?

o.O

Sorry I edited to stay on track.  My opinion of avocados belongs elsewhere.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

Sorry I edited to stay on track.  My opinion of avocados belongs elsewhere.

I think you're right on track. Avocado has unctuousness and not much in flavor.

At my local county fair, I tried the deep fried avocado slices which tasted of...wait for it...nothing. xD

Yesterday I finished up the last of my TJ's dried Mandarin Orange slices,

Makes me wish I still had my own dehydrator so I could make them myself. Like I would...yeah, sure. ¬¬ :D

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

we'll .....

""  avocados are supposed to taste of something? ""

if you put a ripe slice of an avocado in your mouth, double or triple blind

Im fairly sure you would know it was an avocado, unctuous aside.

I think that goes for Hass, not the newer versions from FLA  that taste like water.

Today I picked up  bottle of Trader Joe's Organic Sriracha Ranch Dressing.  I can't recall when I last bought a bottled dressing, but this was available at the sample kiosk and I tried it on some chicken drumellas, which I also liked but didn't purchase.  The dressing has nice, pleasant heat from the Sriracha on a solid background of ranch dressing.  While hot and flavorful, the heat's not overwhelming - it's a nicely balanced dressing.  I plan to experiment with it a bit.  Now that I'm home, I regret not having purchased the drumellas to go with it.

TJ Sriracha Ranch Dressing.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 3

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

TJ's  " Hot dogs " :  your take ?

from time to time i think it might be fund to have a few HD's. a bit chared  on the grill.

soft wonder bread buns   mustard and onions

all the mainstream products have way to much salt, etc.

the other day TJ's sampled an all beef dog.  it did not seem to salty, but was a bit tough.

has anyone had a dog from Tj's that they would try again ?  not too salty, maybe a hint of Porky-ness ?

i know this is a bit of an oxymoron ....

I wanted to get over my hankering for a couple of HotDogs

I wanted a dog that was juicy with some snap.  understanding snap  ( natural casing 0 was more or less out of the question I

stuck with TJ's as I did not want this to become a Wild Goose Chase

Mis :

TJD's 1.jpg

everything caae from Tj's. a +.  no dogs at Tj's with any pork in them  ; plenty of chicken dogs, turkey dogs, maybe even tofu dogs somewhere

TJD's 2.jpg

dogs micro'd then a bit of Propane Char.  buns micro's just a bit to get soft and steamy.

these dogs are though and on the dry side.  maybe little fat in them ?   the mustard was not very spicy  

TJ's Dejon has a lot more zip than this.  Onion nice.  Bun was the type of bun called for.

the only good news is that i now don't have to hanker for a couple of dogs for a long long time.

6 more to go !   I won't take the dogs back because i should have known better.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

Sorry your hot dog experience kind of disappointed. They look good. About the only ones I can eat are Hebrew National because they are Kosher, and I can trick myself into believing they would not allow animal byproducts in the recipe. I know ConAgra has taken over the brand, but I don't think even the mighty CA can fake Kosher. Please don't disillusion me. :) Kidding. 

It would be cool to find a brand that had no nitrates, like the ones you used from TJ's. That is if they did not taste tough and dry.  Maybe try boiling them next time. I find the nuker tends to toughen and change the texture in way I dislike. 

I did not know you could get top-split New England type hot dog rolls at TJ's.  They are tough to find down here. Yours look good, @rotuts. How did they taste? Must have this type for lobster, tuna or crab rolls, IMO and also chili dogs.

> ^ . . ^ <

Holy Cow! I'm headed to TJ's just for those top split rolls! Haven't seen them here in So. Cal since I was a kid and was about ready to order some pans from King Arthur. We are headed to Boston in November and I was planning on bringing back quite a few bags of rolls in the checked luggage.

What I have been enjoying are the Shishito peppers. They are cheaper at TJ's than at the market. Their Lemon curd is always in the basket when I'm too lazy to make it. So good on morning toast.

@Susie Q 

I grew up in CA and had never seen split-top dog rolls until I went to college in the East.  thought they were odd.  people from the East

thought I was odd when I described real dog buns to them.  plenty of oddness in college I guess

like to see if TJ's West has them these days.

one of the many odd things west // east back in the day.

I've never seen split-top hot dog rolls in any TJ's out here.  I believe TJ's sources baked goods locally and those are probably a New England thing. Here in SoCal, I have seen Kings Hawaiian brand hot dog rolls with a split top in grocery stores but haven't looked lately.

Back to TJ's, I picked up a box of the Black & White Diamond Cocktail Cookies.  They are nice little shortbread cookies with a sprinkle of black and white sesame seeds that makes them look festive.  I much approve of the ingredient list (note butter comes before sugar): Unbleached Wheat Flour, Butter, Sugar, Almond Flour, Sesame Seeds, Egg, Sea Salt.  Made in Canada.

I just had 2 of them with coffee for breakfast but here they are in their natural environment with a cocktail:

IMG_3430.jpg

• Like 7

On 8/4/2016 at 0:12 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Back to TJ's, I picked up a box of the Black & White Diamond Cocktail Cookies.  They are nice little shortbread cookies with a sprinkle of black and white sesame seeds that makes them look festive.  I much approve of the ingredient list (note butter comes before sugar): Unbleached Wheat Flour, Butter, Sugar, Almond Flour, Sesame Seeds, Egg, Sea Salt.  Made in Canada.

I just had 2 of them with coffee for breakfast but here they are in their natural environment with a cocktail:

IMG_3430.jpg

We bought the Cocktail Cookies today and enjoyed a few with a glass of sherry, quite nice.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 2

New (to us), TJ brand frozen Chicken Chili Lime burgers.  4 burgers, each 4 oz.  We eat small plates, so I reshaped 1 burger into 2 to fit onto slider rolls.  We put on toasted rolls with chipotle mayo and enjoyed them.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

New (to us), TJ brand frozen Chicken Chili Lime burgers.  4 burgers, each 4 oz.  We eat small plates, so I reshaped 1 burger into 2 to fit onto slider rolls.  We put on toasted rolls with chipotle mayo and enjoyed them.  

Great idea!   I know both @ElsieD and @MetsFan5 mentioned have these and they sounded good but this is a way that I'd actually eat them!

This is a little more liquid than what I am used to, and also quite yellow on top, which I don't mind but bothered my daughter who prefers the more basic Greek yoghurt. :)

Organic cream top plain whole milk yoghurt

Trader Joe's organic yoghurt

• Like 2

the other day I was at TJ's and they sampled this "

TJ curry.jpg

so I picked one up.  its refrigerated and had no rice.   they have a few Fz indian and Thai items that have deice, but 

why not make your one rice ?  interestingly this was paired with TJ's Fz 'Riced' cauliflower   pretty nice.

goot coconut flavo9r, smooth, a bit of spice but over all mild.

TJ curry 2.jpg

here it is ready for the Micro.  you jab a few holes in it and 3.5 min later, you let it rest for 3 more min.

sur la plate :

YJ IP rice.jpg

I didn't have cashews, cilantro, and forgot the finely chopped red onion

it so hot here, I would never have returned from TakeOut.

it was nice.   Ive done a lot of chicken in SV bags, and indeed have a lot downstairs in the freezer.  Ill have to start using them

the chicken here was nice, but not as nice as CV CkBr you do your self :  some of the larger pieces were on the dry side

not too much, but if you SV you'll understand the temp fot the chicken was just too high

still nice dinner   95 outside  , 89 inside.  windows still closed.

see the IP thread re the rice.

• Like 3

they were demo'ing this today at my Local :

TJ's Dip.jpg

I liked it and succumbed.

it s neufchâtel cream cheese based dip   

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-n-143447

its rich and thick.  it has just the right zing but not enough to overpower the cream cheese flavor and chunks of artichoke

F.D.:   I have a weakness for cream cheese based dip.  my mother was not  an outstanding cook, but we had hot breakfast's every

morning before school and decent home made dinners every night

for thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter  we always had lots of forlorn  students over for dinner , and my mother made a simple cream

dip :  CreamChease, canned clams w the jus and minced garlic.  it sat over night in the frig  so that the flavors would blend

so thats why im partial to CCD's

if you like CCD's and artichoke give it a try.

• Like 3

While we were in Denver, I picked up a bag of the Bollywood Popcorn to snack on in various hotel rooms and along the way home. That stuff is absolutely addictive: good flavor with just the right amount of heat.

And then, after I ate a plastic hotel-room cup of the popcorn, I filled that same cup with chunks of my first (and probably last) Rocky Ford melon in years. The cantaloupe pieces picked up the last little bits of salt and other seasoning, and WOW! I might need to do that again on purpose.

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 hours ago, MelissaH said:

And then, after I ate a plastic hotel-room cup of the popcorn, I filled that same cup with chunks of my first (and probably last) Rocky Ford melon in years. The cantaloupe pieces picked up the last little bits of salt and other seasoning, and WOW! I might need to do that again on purpose.

I frequently put Aleppo pepper, salt, and lime juice on chunks of cantaloupe.

• Like 2