• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

I don't know what they would do in the US, but in the UK they don't take credit cards I don't think. They only started taking debit cards relatively recently IIRC, about 2 years ago. It's certainly worth checking before making a special trip I think.

I've used my credit card at Aldi a few times in the last couple of weeks.  Previously I had to use my debit card.

It's funny.  I avoided Aldi for a long time due to my perception of it being on the Dollar Store level.  But I recently found Jamon Iberico there.  I've never seen that in anything resembling a mainstream store before. 

Aldi might deserve it's own topic.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

@kbjesq  

next time you go to TJ's  stock up !  two bottles will last you a lifetime !

Sadly 2 bottles barely gets us through a month. We love fish sauce over here, in fact there are some ppl in this house that love fish sauce and don't even know it :B

Since I started buying the Red Boat brand, it seems to disappear faster, probably because it's much smoother  (if that's the right term?) than 3 Crabs or Squid brands, which we also use. 

To me it's like the difference between Jack Daniels and Gentleman Jack, if that makes sense?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I assume they take credit cards ?

Yes, in the USA at least, Aldi's now takes credit cards. And I guess with all this Aldi's chatter, it's going to get its own thread! Take that, TJs. LOL 

9 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

I've used my credit card at Aldi a few times in the last couple of weeks.  Previously I had to use my debit card.

It's funny.  I avoided Aldi for a long time due to my perception of it being on the Dollar Store level.  But I recently found Jamon Iberico there.  I've never seen that in anything resembling a mainstream store before. 

Aldi might deserve it's own topic.

I bought a whole Serrano leg from Aldi at Christmas for £28, including a stand and a (rubbish) knife to cut it with. We then found a fully massaged Iberico at Lidl for £100 which is still in its vacuum pack. Our weekend lunches tend to be picnic lunches :D But for that price I am relaxed about using it in pea soup etc etc.

if you use the Serrano  in pea soup, fine.  just put it in at the end ' at service '

Ive lived in Spain for several years, and its a crime to ' cook ' Serrano.

put it in ( anything ) at the end.

@rotuts next week (around here anyway) Aldi's is having a sale on pet beds and catnip next week 

Oh BTW Aldi's has an app for the phone so you can easily see what's on sale and decide whether to make the trip that week (also allows you to make a shopping list, which is handy for ppl like me who usually make the list but forget and leave it at home) 

Screenshot_2016-03-19-17-53-11.png

Edited by kbjesq
Fix Typo (log)

here are some ' meats ' in my area :

56edcd7ae8f0f_Aldisps.thumb.jpg.b2d752c5

does their week start :  3/16  then 3/23 ?

I don't have much freezer space as I do a lot ov SV,  but Id get some of that tip roast and then deal with it SV

do these sorts of sales ' sell out ' quickly ?

@rotuts yes the weekly sales start on Wednesdays.  Once in awhile, I've been disappointed to miss out when shopping for a sale item at the end of the sale week, usually around holidays 

On the other hand you will find the previous week's sales items, (any that are left over), on additional discount the week after sale

well  this wed  Im going to go  there and see exactly what they think a Sirloin tip roast is

and for that price, all get one 'no matter'  and present the results to the Team.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dscheidt said:

USA-wide, as of March 1, 2016. 

Still need a quarter to use a shopping cart, though.

You get the quarter back when you return the cart. Think of it as a rental fee.

too bad they don't 'rent' those hand-basked most stores have for 25 cents.

Id bring it back after a few years for sure.

good way to carry fz surf up from the basement

and no, I have not ' borrowed ' one from anywhere  but Ive thought about it.

19 hours ago, rotuts said:

too bad they don't 'rent' those hand-basked most stores have for 25 cents.

Id bring it back after a few years for sure.

good way to carry fz surf up from the basement

and no, I have not ' borrowed ' one from anywhere  but Ive thought about it.

You can buy those at many places--probably even the Dollar Store.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

thanks.   Ill look around.   I reuse plastic shopping bags now.

I do think a rental of 25 cents is attractive .  when you figure out the per diem for a say 5 year rental

\

hard to beet.

TJ's cheeses, branded or not

are simply at least 1/3 d cheaper than the average chain MegaloMart.

they may not have the larger selection, but its the same stuff for what they have.

just cheaper.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the same. For example I like the parmesan Stravecchio that they sell, but I noticed that sometimes its condition wasn't optimal. Most of it tastes fine, but the part close to the rind tends to taste moldy. Also their pieces typically have the rind on two sides, so they are clearly not the most sought-after pieces. It means a little more waste than what I am used to, but still it's a pretty good deal compared to my other options for cheese.

Edited by FrogPrincesse
minor editing (log)

I get three cheeses there routinely :

SilverGoat  and Danish Castello and Cambozola

identical in every way.   Im sure there are exceptions, but I doubt they were singled out deliberately.

and  you can easily take what was not up to snuff back

dont hesitate to do this.  Ive never seen them mind.

It sounds like their return policy is great :) 

i am amused that a deposit on return trolley is unusual. Standard practice here is a pound coin not a quarter :)

52 minutes ago, Tere said:

i am amused that a deposit on return trolley is unusual. Standard practice here is a pound coin not a quarter :)

Not unusual...unheard-of...except at Aldi.

We leave our carts all over the parking lot and stores pay the mentally disabled (or kids) to return them.

Markets have found that  the bigger the cart, the more you buy. Why discourage carts by charging a fee?