• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

A disappointment today for me: the Brownie Crisp, which claims to be "a rich, brownie taste with a crisp, cookie crunch." The editor in me insists on stating for the record that I only copied the commas as they appeared on the package!

I was expecting this to be more like the Sheila G's Brownie Brittle. Instead, it's thicker squares that are not easy to bite into. The flavor is cloyingly sweet. They stick in your teeth. I won't be buying these again. (But hey, they're vegan and gluten free.)

Photo on 9-23-15 at 12.12 PM.jpg

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

fell prey to the season and picked up Fall Harvest Salsa today (big display).

Ingredients: Pumpkin, tomatoes, water, tomatillo, onions, apples, butternut squash, red bell peppers, jalapenos, honey, lime juice concentrate, sea salt, natural flavor, garlic, cumin.

It was for the novelty factor, but I gave in to impulse. Didn't know if it was going to be too sweet...took a spoonful as soon as I got home and actually it isn't very sweet. Mild heat level, and still tastes of tomato more than some of the other squashes and things. Will probably not purchase again, not terrible, but nothing special.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

The frozen Alaska cod filet is a perfect fish for deep frying, whether whole filets or cut into fingers or nuggets. Meaty, holds shape without flaking, yet tender in the mouth and mild sweet in flavor. It's plain tasting, but that's what you want for fish and chips.

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 2 weeks later...

TJ's is offering a new naan: Paneer Masala. Filled with a very thin later of warm spices, garlic, and ginger but it has a lot of flavor.  I really like it.

IMG_0852.JPG

TJ puff pastry is back! It’s one of the few frozen puff pastries made with butter. Nice to have in the freezer for quick appetizers or desserts. The only problem is that TJ only sells it seasonally, so I try to stock up around the holidays before it disappears.

It’s a bargain at $3.99 for 2 10” sheets.  By contrast, a month ago I needed some and didn’t have time to make it myself—the only brand I found with butter was from Dufour, $11.99 for one 20” sheet.  TJ's has changed the packaging this year, it’s now in rolls instead of flat packs.

• Like 3

I was lured into a TJ stop by the Murasaki Sweet Potatoes described in the latest fearless flyer. I love sweet potatoes and also chestnuts so I am excited to give them a try.

Since I was there I decided to pick up some of the refrigerated Tamales (both the pork & chicken are pretty good). I circled the store 3 times only to find out they aren't carrying them at the moment. Another shopper heard me asking about them and sympathized at their disappearance. I was told they might be getting repackaged or portioned. Not completely sure. That is one of my biggest peeves about TJs - you just cannot rely on product availability. I guess you can't have all the new without getting rid of some of the old but for some reason *everything* I like gets removed. I decided to embrace the fickleness of TJs and buy a few of the numerous new (non-pumpkin spiced) products in the freezer section anyway.

Tonight we tried the burrata, arugula & prosciutto flatbread & the mushroom & black truffle flatbread. Both were inoffensive but not really worth a repurchase. My son thought they were both a bland and didn't even want to have more than a slice of each. Maybe I should have stuck with the Tarte D'Alsace which we do like.

The 5 cheese greek spiral pastry looked interesting and I have no frame of reference for it so hopefully that will work in its favor when we try it later this week or next. Since everyone has been raving about the nuts, I purchased a package of Cashew Macadamia Delight Trek Mix.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Update: the sweet potatoes really are nice and just as described in the flyer. Drier and little less sweet than regular sweet potatoes with a bit of chestnut flavor.

I will definitely be looking to pick up more if they have them next time I am at TJs.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Okay, this will take some patience. I'm a big fan of author James Fallows, who also blogs for The Atlantic. He recently has run a series of posts about what he calls "The World's Greatest Song" -- Águas de Março (The Waters of March), by Antonio Carlos "Tom" Jobim, who's best known in the US for writing (and singing) songs that sparked the bossa nova craze of the 1960s and 70s, most notably The Girl From Ipanema. Take a listen to his solo version here, then another version, with piano trio, by Brazilian singer Elis Regina here -- both in Portugese -- then this version by Susannah McCorkle, in English and Portugese, here.

Now that the melody has turned into an earworm, listen to (and watch) this brilliant parody about Trader Joe's.

It's milk, it's bread,

It's the stuff on your list.

It's the strange little snacks

You end up buying instead....

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

nice

very nice 

"" All your favorites stuff they don't have any more """

nice

however, In my area, they don't have "" Yogurt  Yoga Mom's ""

Ill have to ask my wine Buds.  they might know.

(  come on its a joke !  sort of )

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the 5 Cheese Greek Sprial at Trader Joe's today - http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/5-cheese-greek-spiral. Looks good but did not buy it. Has anyone tried it? If so, did you like it?

(Unless another version of this is widely available) I have had it a couple of times at my neighbors' house.  Phyllo and warm cheese--what's not to like?  The photo shows a full wedge cut from the disk but when I had it the coils separated easily so you could grab smaller pieces.  That worked well for casual snack service, like a more flexible format for tiropita.  

• Like 3

This product looks good to me Fernwood, although I'm not a bleu cheese fan.

I do not believe I could make 14 oz. of good tiropita for $4.00, so I'm going to check this product out next time I can get to TJ's. I am talking about the ingredients. Never mind the cursing that often goes on when I'm handling phyllo dough, and my time.

> ^ . . ^ <

Trader Joe's  updated my MR Substrate :

TJ's MR.jpg

this is the first test :  Ice Cold, but still :

good news !  same old stuff.  Still $ 4.49

but TraderJoe has been removed from the label and its a bit more classy.

later, the actual MR will be tested.

smiley-surprised.gif></a></p>

Edited by rotuts (log)

my WineBuds at Tj's suggested I try this wine :

PacGrove.jpg

sorry for the glare  Its Pacific Grove Chardonnay 

its apparently moving fast in my area, only 6 1/2 cases left !

Six being the SweetSpot, I tried it immediately after a Quick Chill at home :

plenty of Benzene in this one !

[ed.: Benzene = a chemical taste not generally associated w grapes nor fruit ]

im guessing that taste come from Idiotic Oak some wine makers  use

$ 5.99     

not for me this one.  and its 30 % more than my traditional white for MR

see above

this bottle is going back.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

This product looks good to me Fernwood, although I'm not a bleu cheese fan.

I do not believe I could make 14 oz. of good tiropita for $4.00, so I'm going to check this product out next time I can get to TJ's. I am talking about the ingredients. Never mind the cursing that often goes on when I'm handling phyllo dough, and my time.

I did not notice the blue cheese flavor; must be the minority ingredient.  

• Like 1

I tried the 5-cheese spiral that natasha1270, curls, Fernwood and ThanksForTheCrepes have mentioned:

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

I thought it was tasty.  Served it along side a roasted squash and apple soup.  The tangy cheese and crisp phyllo played nicely with the smooth, slightly sweet soup.  A little wedge would be enough to make a nice salad or soup into a meal.  I wouldn't bring it to a happy hour gathering elsewhere due to the phyllo crumbs mess factor.

• Like 4

Tis the season....hoping our next shopping trip to TJ's finds their annual offering of pfeffernusse.  Their boxed version is limited time only and I stock up heavily.  

Tis the season....hoping our next shopping trip to TJ's finds their annual offering of pfeffernusse.  Their boxed version is limited time only and I stock up heavily.  

I didn't see the pfeffernusse yesterday but the holiday stock is coming in for sure.  Both the regular candy cane Jo-Jos and the chocolate dipped peppermint version were on the shelves!

My brother is the only one in our family who likes pecan pie and he said he was intrigued by this item in TJ's Fearless Flyer:

"Pecan Pie Filling In a Jar"  

I suggested he stock up so he can have it year-round instead of just during the holiday season.

edited to add:  I am intrigued by these seasonal chips (click). I will have to buy a bag when I go to TJ's next week.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver