• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

they were demo-ing this this AM :

TJ Toffee.jpg

it is seriously delicious.  its Fz so you can stock up as .....

its seasonal and my Local say it won't last much past Christmas.

warmed up , a little vanilla ice cream, WOW !

money-mouth.gif

• Like 2

I like the giant white beans. The tomato sauce is tangy and not very sweet, and the beans are cooked but still firm - so not at all similar to American-style canned baked beans.  I usually serve them at room temperature with other middle-eastern foods - stuffed grape leaves (TJ's are not bad), hummus, pita, olives, salads, etc.

• Like 3

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

• 2 weeks later...

I picked these hot & spicy dill slices from the "what's new" shelf on a recent TJ's visit.

IMG_4292.jpg

They are not super hot and I'm sure they don't hold a candle to anything that our eG preservers turn out but they're nicely crunchy with a bit of a kick and I've been enjoying them. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I picked these hot & spicy dill slices from the "what's new" shelf on a recent TJ's visit.

They are not super hot and I'm sure they don't hold a candle to anything that our eG preservers turn out but they're nicely crunchy with a bit of a kick and I've been enjoying them. 

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll check them out at my next visit.  I sometimes want just that sort of pickle.

• Like 1

... Shel

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:17 PM, blue_dolphin said:

IMG_4292.jpg

I picked up a jar today.  They are a little spicier than I'd imagined

although well within my tolerance range and quite acceptable. 

They will go well on my lunch sandwich made with another of my

TJ's favorites.  This is not the best pastrami out there, certainly

not comparable to the many excellent NYC type pastramis, but I

like the flavor, the meat is lean, each slice is just about the perfect

size for a sandwich, and it's quite convenient to use.  IMO, an ideal

convenient sandwich filling.  Also works nice with scrambled eggs

as an alternative to salami and eggs.

TJs Uncured Pastrami.jpg

• Like 2

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

TJ's has these long-stemmed Italian artichokes right now that are absolutely amazing. I can't say enough good things about them.

Also they have their ginger brew right now (a seasonal item). It's non alcoholic with a very nice kick of ginger. It tastes like homemade ginger ale. Great on its own or in cocktails.

Lastly, Batiste rhum agricole from Marie Galante for $20!!!

Trader Joe's

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 4

On 11/14/2016 at 7:00 AM, Wayne said:

The Loblaw's President's Choice Umami paste was wildly overpriced and wasn't all that great.

A product I use for a stealth umami hit to a dish is shrimp paste: http://canada.lkk.com/en/Products/FeaturedProduct/featured_product_20138

I use it in preparations where you may have added a few chopped anchovies. The strong flavour of the raw paste disappears with continued cooking.

Do be careful with that trick if you are cooking for other people - I have a shellfish allergy and I wouldn't expect someone to use shrimp paste instead of anchovies (and sometimes chopped anchovies turn up in quite surprising places) so that could lead to an exciting in a bad way dinner party. (I don't go around announcing my allergy to people unless it seems relevant or I'm asked, so a host might not know about the shellfish issue. Depends on the person and the event.)

Trader Joe's Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Many of us, at least here in the US, enjoyed Campbell's Condensed Tomato Soup as kids, and, I'm sure, many people still enjoy it as adults.  It's considered by many to be a "comfort food," especially when served alongside a grilled cheese sandwich.  I've been enjoying a more interesting version of tomato soup over the years, compliments of our good friends at Trader Joe's.

I usually buy the organic, low sodium version, but TJ's also has an organic version with more salt, if that's your preference, and perhaps a non-organic version as well.  I always add some red pepper flakes, usually Aleppo pepper flakes, and sometimes add a diced jarred roasted red pepper to it as well.  Now that's a bowl of comfort for me, along with a grilled cheese sandwich made with some Chipotle Jack from the Winters Cheese Company in Northern California.

Roasted Red Pepper Soup Small.jpg

Edited by Shel_B
Add a word for clarity (log)
  • Like 2

... Shel

12 hours ago, curls said:

Tried their Swiss fondue -- quite tasty!

tj-fondue.jpg

I used this when I was in a hurry and wanted to make creamed onions (which I always make with cheese in them). I used TJ's frozen pearl onions defrosted and added them to the fondue. No one was the wiser.

• Like 7

Deb

Liberty, MO

@Maison Rustique

I rate that as a genius recipe.  Too bad there's no Trader Joe's in Canada.  Well if you ignore the one run illegally on the west coast. xD

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Just jazz it up with something. Maybe some hot sauce or whatever you feel it needs to make it better.

Oh, I haven't  ruled on it yet, and garlic and hot sauce is pretty much a given. Maybe even some dry sherry.

HC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I used this when I was in a hurry and wanted to make creamed onions (which I always make with cheese in them). I used TJ's frozen pearl onions defrosted and added them to the fondue. No one was the wiser.

I wonder how well that would work with spinach...

• Like 1

On 1/13/2017 at 3:01 PM, Smokeydoke said:

I just tried their Chocolate Pecan pie last night. Meh. Their desserts are so tiny!

Were you able to try their Pecan Pie in a Jar when it was in stock? My sister-in-law says it's very good. It's a seasonal item and there is some work involved (baking it in a pie shell). My SIL bought out two TJ's stores-worth of the jars this past holiday season. :shock:

And I agree about their tiny desserts. Sometimes I think they're almost not worth it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 1/17/2017 at 9:59 AM, Toliver said:

Were you able to try their Pecan Pie in a Jar when it was in stock? My sister-in-law says it's very good. It's a seasonal item and there is some work involved (baking it in a pie shell). My SIL bought out two TJ's stores-worth of the jars this past holiday season. :shock:

And I agree about their tiny desserts. Sometimes I think they're almost not worth it.

Never tried their Pecan Pie in a Jar, I do love pecan pie so I'll have to try it.

22 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I like the TJ's peanut butter cups.  I've tried many brands and only TJ's are an acceptable alternative to Reese's.  I prefer the TJ's dark chocolate cups to the Reese's dark chocolate cups, but it's close.  The regular Reese's (milk chocolate) cups are still in the mix, though.

Been thinking of trying the Mandarin Orange Chicken, so this may push me to make the purchase.  Costco has something similar that (I believe) gfweb mentioned once, but it's a much larger package.  I've been toying with purchasing one or the other at some time.

I've always enjoyed peanut butter filled pretzels, and while Costco has them, one must purchase a big tub (not a good idea for me to have a big tub of any snack item in the apartment), and, IMHO, they are not quite as good as the TJ's variety.  I buy the TJ's filled pretzels just a couple-three times a year.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel