• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

Host's note: the Trader Joe's Products topic is split into segments for server efficiency. The previous segment is here: Trader Joe's Products (2012-2015)

TJ's demo'd these a while ago.

TJ's Gyza.jpg

as stated. I micro'd them.

TJ's G cooked.jpg

I sauce is Tj's orange marmalade, which I like. added a lot of Fz grated ginger ( fresh grate of course ! ) and chili oil.

for some bite

love these things.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)
  • Like 2

rotuts - I'm a big fan of TJ Seville orange marmalade too. I tend to use it as the sweet element in dressings, dips, glazes, and marinades

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

consider adding some 'fresh' spice to it  i.e. green chile

and freshly ground  ( from your freezer ) ginger

if you like those things

the TJ's marmalade  it a fine place to start for lots of tasty stuff

enjoy !

• Like 2

I love orange marmalade as a base for dipping sauce for coconut shrimp, an idea swiped from the Outback chain when they used to be better, and you could still get Alaskan King Crab legs. We don't go there anymore.

I balance my marmalade dipping sauce with vinegar, crushed red pepper and salt.

I want to try the Seville marmalade next time I make it to TJ's.

TJ's also has frozen coconut shrimp sometimes. You need to get your oven really hot to brown the outside and avoid overcooking the inside. When they are good, they are very good.

> ^ . . ^ <

Has anyone noticed that TJ's dried tart cherries have changed? They used to be so great, and now they are not so good, it's very disappointing. For starters, they are much less tart. They are also somewhat slimy. (That's not really the right word. But they're no longer sticky.) I know sometimes dried fruit is sprayed with mineral oil. It seems like the tart cherries now have a massive dose of it. I've used them regularly for several baked items (biscotti, a particular pound cake) and the last time I made them the cherries just didn't add the flavor they used to. Eating them out of hand also, it's like a completely different item. I will stop buying them if this is their new incarnation. Anyone else notice a difference? 

Has anyone noticed that TJ's dried tart cherries have changed? They used to be so great, and now they are not so good, it's very disappointing. For starters, they are much less tart. They are also somewhat slimy. (That's not really the right word. But they're no longer sticky.) I know sometimes dried fruit is sprayed with mineral oil. It seems like the tart cherries now have a massive dose of it. I've used them regularly for several baked items (biscotti, a particular pound cake) and the last time I made them the cherries just didn't add the flavor they used to. Eating them out of hand also, it's like a completely different item. I will stop buying them if this is their new incarnation. Anyone else notice a difference? 

Maybe its climate change and they needed to import them from a new place?

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Just returned from a trip to Dallas and stocked up on:

Passito Pantelleria Ipsus - an Italian dessert wine

Le Delice De Bourgogne - a triple cream soft ripened cheese to pair with the above dessert wine and

fig and olive crisps - a riff on rain coast crisps

chocolate covered espresso beans

Josephbrau Dunkelweizen

dijon mustard

fontina cheese

bacon ends and pieces - I cut each pound into quarters, chop them, vac seal and freeze. Easy to use in baked beans, greens, etc

walnut halves and pieces

Kalamata olive oil

Morgado Ruby Port

I like but did not need this time -  orange muscat champagne vinegar, pound plus chocolate bars

There's a TJs coming to Tulsa in the next year or so and maybe to OKC after that. As we are a governed by bible-thumping red-necks they won't be able to sell wine, Port or unrefrigerated beer, but at least I will be able to get the other items.

• Like 6

I love the chocolate covered banana bites that are found in the freezer section - Gone Bananas.  Dark chocolate over sliced banana coins.  The chocolate has a good high cocoa content but isn't bitter and they are just the right size when I want just a bite of something sweet.  

Trader Joe's Cambozola cheese:

Cambozla_cheese_TJ.jpg

This cheese is terrific.  I've enjoyed it in the past, and the other night Toots brought home a wedge.  Had it on some crackers at room temp ... boy, was it good.  Think Gorgonzola crossed with Camembert and you'll have a pretty good idea what you’re getting here.

• Like 2

... Shel

Dunkers, a fine Chocolate Chip Cookie

I don't buy cookies very often, and chocolate chip cookies are not my favorite, however, I really like these Dunkers.  As you can see in the pic, the cookies are long and narrow rather than round, which makes them perfect for dunking.  I don't dunk, but I like the way they feel in my hand and the idea that there are three or four bites to each cookie.  But what I like best is their texture.  They are crisp, but not overly so, so there's a nice, smooth crunch to the cookie.  Plus, I don't care for excess in anything, and unlike a lot of cookies that are heavily laden with chocolate chips, the amount of chips in these cookies are, for me, just right.  There's a nice balance between chips and cookie, both in terms of flavor and mouth feel.  If you do like a lot of chocolate, TK's offers the Dunkers with an extra chocolate coating.  Too much for me.  As they are, they are perfect with a tall glass of very cold milk.  Try 'em ... you may like them.

The cookies are just a scosh more than 4-inches long by about 1½ - inches wide.

Dunkers.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Trader Joe's is always the first one to have valencia oranges at this time of year.  It's only for the summer months when I can get these oranges that I make and drink orange juice. 

I love Valencia oranges.  Didn't see any at TJ's this morning, but I'll be hitting the produce market tomorrow and will look for them.  Thanks for the heads up.

... Shel

After searching for several years for a supply of shishito peppers without much luck, I started growing them in my garden. I still do an occasional web search which turned up the link below. Went out to the nearest TJ's which is in Warwick, RI, and sure enough they had them. Nice to know.

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/shishito-peppers

HC

• Like 1

After searching for several years for a supply of shishito peppers without much luck, I started growing them in my garden. I still do an occasional web search which turned up the link below. Went out to the nearest TJ's which is in Warwick, RI, and sure enough they had them. Nice to know.

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/shishito-peppers

HC

I can consistently get shishito peppers in H Mart and other Asian groceries.  But it is also good to know that TJ now has them.

Finally remembered to look for some Cambozola at Tj's

(thanks shel_B ! )

its resting unwrapped on the counter to age a bit.  I did sneak a taste and its delicious

Im a big fan of creamy esp. blue cheese.

BTW  TJ's price  : $11.99    RocheBros  ( a local quality chain )  $ 16.49   same stuff

this is about the mark up % for all the types Ive looked for.

go figure.

I baked two of these this morning after letting them rise overnight. The picture shows (obviously) the chocolate croissant before and after baking. They are delicious, makes me wish I had brought more than two packages back.

image.jpg

• Like 5

im going to give these a try

some time ago in the Bay Area, you could get Fz croissants that were made in a central place, and baked in individual markets, from those

same markets.  they rose overnight and were baked in the AM

as good as Ive ever had.

I baked two of these this morning after letting them rise overnight. The picture shows (obviously) the chocolate croissant before and after baking. They are delicious, makes me wish I had brought more than two packages back.

Here are some online reviews: #1  and  #2  and  #3  and  #4 ... I've gotta try these.  Thanks, Elsie!

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

Nothing too exciting in this little line-up. I liked the Triple Ginger Cookie Thins very much. They were tasty little crisp cookies. I found the almonds to taste overpoweringly of truffles, which I guess is fine if you really, really like truffles. I am not in that camp. The South African Smoke spice is interesting. Lots of good smokey flavour there. The Brie was okay, not sure really why I bought it as we can get very good Brie here. Finally, avoid the peach halves. They are totally devoid of flavour. I should know better, as I have yet to meet a canned peach or a frozen one for that matter, that tasted remotely of peaches, or tasted of anything at all. Hope springs eternal and all that.....

image.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 2

I like all of the TJ's frozen croissant variations I've tried.  Very light and crisp and make the house smell divine!

Nothing too exciting in this little line-up. I liked the Triple Ginger Cookie Thins very much. They were tasty little crisp cookies. I found the almonds to taste overpoweringly of truffles, which I guess is fine if you really, really like truffles. I am not in that camp. The South African Smoke spice is interesting. Lots of good smokey flavour there. The Brie was okay, not sure really why I bought it as we can get very good Brie here. Finally, avoid the peach halves. They are totally devoid of flavour. I should know better, as I have yet to meet a canned peach or a frozen one for that matter, that tasted remotely of peaches, or tasted of anything at all. Hope springs eternal and all that.....

Thanks for reporting on the truffle almonds. I love the version with rosemary and try to keep some on hand to put out for unexpected guests but if I spy them in the cupboard, I end up treating myself to a nibble and soon enough, they are gone!

cyalexa, how tasty are the Fig & Olive Crisps? 

I love Raincoast Crisps, but the price - not so much! 

Just returned from a trip to Dallas and stocked up on:

Passito Pantelleria Ipsus - an Italian dessert wine

Le Delice De Bourgogne - a triple cream soft ripened cheese to pair with the above dessert wine and

fig and olive crisps - a riff on rain coast crisps

chocolate covered espresso beans

Josephbrau Dunkelweizen

dijon mustard

fontina cheese

bacon ends and pieces - I cut each pound into quarters, chop them, vac seal and freeze. Easy to use in baked beans, greens, etc

walnut halves and pieces

Kalamata olive oil

Morgado Ruby Port

I like but did not need this time -  orange muscat champagne vinegar, pound plus chocolate bars

There's a TJs coming to Tulsa in the next year or so and maybe to OKC after that. As we are a governed by bible-thumping red-necks they won't be able to sell wine, Port or unrefrigerated beer, but at least I will be able to get the other items.

cyalexa, how tasty are the Fig & Olive Crisps? 

I love Raincoast Crisps, but the price - not so much! 

They were tasty but the texture of the figs was off-putting. They were a bit chewy. I liked the size of the crackers - 2 small or one large bite.

There is a Raincoast Crisp knock-off recipe floating around the internet and it has been on my "to try" list for a long time.

• Like 1

I previously mentioned about how I used Trader Joe's "Soup Starter" veggies with some salad greens in this Trader Joe's post (click).

Someone from Trader Joe's must be reading these forums because yesterday, while in my local Trader Joe's, I found the same container mentioned in my previous post (the container was flat-ish round plastic) now labeled "Healthy 8 Chopped Veggie Mix." Below the title it reads "For salads, sautéing or anytime you need fresh veggies." It's the exactly the same thing as their soup starter veggies, just re-labeled.

Here's the list of veggies in the product that I should have posted the first time I mentioned them: Broccoli, carrots, green cabbage, red cabbage, jicama, green bell pepper, radish and celery. They're all diced so they're ideal for soups or salads. Like I mentioned before, I refresh them in some ice water before adding them to my salad greens.

And Trader Joe's, if you're reading this...I want a commission.  :laugh:  :raz:

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver