• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2015–2017)

rotuts

15 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Been thinking of trying the Mandarin Orange Chicken, so this may push me to make the purchase. 

I have only tried this one from the link provided by chefmd. I can vouch that it is very good. The batter is crispy enough after heating as per instructions that it remains so after application of the sauce. I've never been able to achieve similar results with trying to make it homemade. Also, it's been a while but, IIRC the sauce comes in two separate packets, so you can portion out half the chicken and use one of the sauce packets to feed two. I was impressed at how all but the smallest bits of chicken remained moist and tender in their hard batter shell after heating in the oven. Also, I can't stand anything that's sickly sweet, and this sauce was balanced. Great product, IMO.

I gotta get back to Trader Joe's. First, I need to clean out my freezers, which I'm working on thanks to Anna N's thread

My husband ate some of the chocolate peanut butter cups and really seemed to enjoy them, but since I'm not a fan of peanut butter cups, I can't report further.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

20 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I have only tried this one from the link provided by chefmd. I can vouch that it is very good. The batter is crispy enough after heating as per instructions that it remains so after application of the sauce. I've never been able to achieve similar results with trying to make it homemade. Also, it's been a while but, IIRC the sauce comes in two separate packets, so you can portion out half the chicken and use one of the sauce packets to feed two. I was impressed at how all but the smallest bits of chicken remained moist and tender in their hard batter shell after heating in the oven. Also, I can't stand anything that's sickly sweet, and this sauce was balanced. Great product, IMO.

Thanks for your comments.  Very helpful and motivating.  The next visit to TJ's will end up with this item in the shopping cart. 

... Shel

4 hours ago, Shel_B said:

No! No! No!  Don't buy this.  Flavorless and poor texture.

TJ's Falafel.jpg

I also purchased this once, and it had a flavor; it was just abysmal! I agree; save your money on this item. Most of my purchase went to the raccoons. Too bad though, because I adore good falafel and it would have been so convenient. :(

> ^ . . ^ <

Real, already fried falafel freezes quite well.

If you defrost and re-fry it it is as good as new. If instead you bake it from frozen, it's still better than any store bought falafel will ever be

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

Local TJ's Does Something Nice

A few days ago I stopped by the local TJ's, and on the way out encountered a staff member standing by the door next to piles of boxes filled with various products.  These were holiday items, many of which were pumpkin flavored, although some were not.  They were being given away to any shopper who wanted them.  I didn't care for anything, but grabbed a couple of items to give to some people in my apartment building who I knew would enjoy them.  A nice gesture to the community, IMO.

I should also point out that this same local TJ's gives away a lot of food to one of the nearby senior centers: prepared salads, breads, vegetables nearing the end of their display life, bakery goods, etc. Again, a nice benefit to the community.

While more and more stores are donating food in this manner, this particular TJ's (I cannot speak from experience for other TJ's stores) has been doing these give aways for years, long before it was as common as it is now. 

I just remembered that, a few years ago, the store would bring seniors in from the local senior centers and give them a tour of the store.  On the tour they'd point out where foods that were good for diabetics were, what foods were low salt, low fat, high in fiber, etc.  I don't know if they still do that, but it was certainly a nice service to the community.

Edited by Shel_B
Additional Information (log)
  • Like 5

... Shel

We recently tried the Pizza Greco Roman and neither of us thought it was worth a repeat. It was just barely OK overall, though the toppings (kalamata olives, feta, tomato) weren't terrible. 

Edited to add: I think the final topping was peppers, not tomatoes! 

TJ Greco Roman.jpg

The TJ's Battered Halibut makes very decent fish tacos if you are rushed for time but want something with a bit of colour.

TJ Halibut.JPG

Here is last night's dinner, using the TJ's halibut. Some homemade Pico de Gallo, Mexican crema, and shredded cabbage (from a coleslaw mix, ha). Heat up the tortillas and serve with some hot sauce. Not bad! 

IMG_20170128_192611.jpg

IMG_20170128_193229.jpg

IMG_20170128_193417.jpg

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 10

10 hours ago, FauxPas said:

We recently tried the Pizza Greco Roman and neither of us thought it was worth a repeat. It was just barely OK overall, though the toppings (kalamata olives, feta, tomato) weren't terrible. 

TJ Greco Roman.jpg

I liked it reasonably well, although there are other TJ's frozen pizzas that I like better.  I'd buy it again ...

• Like 1

... Shel

TJ's is the only place I've found with not just edible, but actually delicious frozen pizza. I haven't tried the Pizza Greco-Roman, but that's because maybe it's new or it's just not a combination of toppings that I would prefer. I actually like good black olives a lot, but there are many offerings out there, that are horrible.

The crust is the foundation of a pizza to me, a critical component. For those who have tried it, how is the crust?

> ^ . . ^ <

11 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Edited to add: I think the final topping was peppers, not tomatoes! 

If I weren't sure whether a topping was pepper or tomato, I wouldn't repeat it either! :/

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

26 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

The crust is the foundation of a pizza to me, a critical component. For those who have tried it, how is the crust?

Agreed, and this was the weakest part of the pizza for us. My husband called it cardboardy and too thin and flat and I think I would agree. And yet I really like a thin crust at times. But I would encourage people to at least give it a try. It's not expensive and if the toppings appeal, it may not be a bad thing to have in your freezer in a pinch. The toppings weren't bad.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

If I weren't sure whether a topping was pepper or tomato, I wouldn't repeat it either! :/

It wasn't that i couldn't distinguish the taste, it was my memory or my typing. I typed 'tomato' even while thinking 'peppers'.  :)

• Like 2

On 1/30/2017 at 0:01 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

When following the directions on the box, the crust on all frozen pizza that I've tried leaves something, sometimes a lot, to be desired.  However, by playing around with different pizzas over time, I've found the ideal baking technique / time / temp that gives me a very good result.  Rarely will following the directions on the box result in an acceptable pizza for me.  FWIW, I make the frozen pizzas in the Breville oven.

Host's note: click here for the next segment of this extended topic.

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

... Shel