• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordinary Acrylic: Food-safe for Molding?

minas6907

Hey I just wanted some input here, I'm positive someone here will know. I was at The Container Store a few days ago, and while browsing I came across these 24 compartment lipstick holders. Since I always have chocolate on the mind, I was wondering if these would be suitable for molding bonbons. There are 24 cavities, and it would yield a bonbon that would sort of be a slightly tall cube. The dimensions are perfect for a chocolate piece, not to small not to large, and its $7. Now my question is mostly about the material. Its made from acrylic, and I'm not too sure about it being food safe. I dont know too much about plastics, but (correct me if I'm wrong) most plastics in the kitchen are polycarbonate, right? I'm not just talking about chocolate molds, but standard clear plastic pitchers, lexon containers, typical 1/6 pans, the top of the robot coupe, blender pitchers, etc. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of acrylic material being used with food. Anyways, that was mostly my question, I was just wondering if an acrylic piece like this would pose any health concerns when used with chocolate.

2014-07-11 20.08.31.jpg

2014-07-11 20.08.36.jpg

2014-07-11 20.08.46.jpg

Hey I just wanted some input here, I'm positive someone here will know. I was at The Container Store a few days ago, and while browsing I came across these 24 compartment lipstick holders. Since I always have chocolate on the mind, I was wondering if these would be suitable for molding bonbons. There are 24 cavities, and it would yield a bonbon that would sort of be a slightly tall cube. The dimensions are perfect for a chocolate piece, not to small not to large, and its $7. Now my question is mostly about the material. Its made from acrylic, and I'm not too sure about it being food safe. I dont know too much about plastics, but (correct me if I'm wrong) most plastics in the kitchen are polycarbonate, right? I'm not just talking about chocolate molds, but standard clear plastic pitchers, lexon containers, typical 1/6 pans, the top of the robot coupe, blender pitchers, etc. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of acrylic material being used with food. Anyways, that was mostly my question, I was just wondering if an acrylic piece like this would pose any health concerns when used with chocolate.

These two sources suggest acrylic is OK for food:

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cake_circles/cake_circle_acrylic/602

http://www.shopchefrubber.com/Tube-Set-18-Thin-Wall-Acrylic/

I've used lots of different acrylic things I find for molds.  You might find that one gives you a lot of marks when unmolding with so much smooth surface - be interesting to see.  Would make great little square chocolate lollies with a stick in each.

Would make great little square chocolate lollies with a stick in each.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. I wasn't thinking about chocolates particularly, but the idea of small lollies of some sort crossed my mind when I saw the picture.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 10 months later...

I imagine that taking the chocolate out will be a bigger problem than low heat degradation toxicity....