• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[How] Do You Garnish Your Hot Dog?

I think generally at some point one graduates from ketchup to mustard on a hotdog. Mustard is a bit intimidating for kids. I really like both with a corndog. Ah. Must. Have...

I think generally at some point one graduates from ketchup to mustard on a hotdog. Mustard is a bit intimidating for kids. I really like both with a corndog. Ah. Must. Have...

I still eat ketchup with hot dogs. I think it's true that mustard can be difficult for kids to appreciate, I never liked it as a child and always loved ketchup. I love different mustards now, but I still eat ketchup with my hot dogs. Most people think it's pretty gross. (But they're so picky. :rolleyes: )

• Like 4

My 3 year old daughter will have   ketchup on sometimes of sausages, HP sauce on others, Lingon jam on some and mustard goes on two types of sausages.   For a hot dog, depending on brand I want both mustard and ketchup, but it has to be the right mustard to match the  ketchup.  Delikatessgrabbarnas  or   Gammelman are two mustards that doesnt go with Ketchup  but  slotts mild yellow do., How ever here  ketchups is the most common thing on hot dog.

As a kid I preferred mustard over ketchup.

Did you know that Kellogs had to lower its sugar content to even be allowed in on the Swedish market back in the day? Also purple skittles in Europe is not grape it is  black currant.  Just some thing we are used to then grapes.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I still eat ketchup with hot dogs. I think it's true that mustard can be difficult for kids to appreciate, I never liked it as a child and always loved ketchup. I love different mustards now, but I still eat ketchup with my hot dogs. Most people think it's pretty gross. (But they're so picky. :rolleyes: )

Its a different taste but its good!

I love hot dogs with everything.

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Wow - what I learn here! I never knew that ketchup is considered "gross" on hot dogs.  In rural upstate NY it's the norm - sometimes with mustard but more usually with sweet pickle relish. That's my preference although I prefer my home made ketchup rather than store bought. 

Interestingly, just yesterday I saw a TV ad for a new type of Heinz (I think) mustard the whole point of which was that this mustard goes best with ketchup for things such as hot dogs.

Elaina

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Sorry, but mini hot dogs with bbq sauce and grape jelly sounds like something only a Klingon would love. On what planet is that a favorite app? I grew up in NYC, lived for several years in New Mexico and for many years now in CA and this is the first I ever heard of that. Is it a Philly specialty? I think by definition any one who eats sausages with bbq sauce and grape jelly would not be considered a picky eater. Unless, of course, that was all they ate. Forgive me, you who are not picky eaters (and my husband is included here), we picky ones definitely owe you a debt of gratitude for letting us get away with outrageous and tiresome behavior for years on end, to say nothing of snobbery and crankiness.

• Like 2

Sorry, but mini hot dogs with bbq sauce and grape jelly sounds like something only a Klingon would love. On what planet is that a favorite app? I grew up in NYC, lived for several years in New Mexico and for many years now in CA and this is the first I ever heard of that. Is it a Philly specialty? I think by definition any one who eats sausages with bbq sauce and grape jelly would not be considered a picky eater. Unless, of course, that was all they ate. Forgive me, you who are not picky eaters (and my husband is included here), we picky ones definitely owe you a debt of gratitude for letting us get away with outrageous and tiresome behavior for years on end, to say nothing of snobbery and crankiness.

https://www.pinterest.com/recipes/cocktail-smokie-weenies < a plethora of "Cocktail Sausages W/BBQ and Grape Jelly recipes

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Sorry, but mini hot dogs with bbq sauce and grape jelly sounds like something only a Klingon would love...

I thought Klingons liked bitter, strong, animal-y flavors, like steppe warriors. But the culture revers he-man types who will eat anything, so your average Klingon will eat those embellished mini-hot dogs if you're watching.

Savory and meaty (hot dogs) mixed with spicy-sweet (BBQ sauce) with more sweet plus fruity (grape jelly)--that's American, not Klingon. :raz:

As for ketchup on hot dogs...If you like it, it's not bad.

Once I was at an event somewhere--I forget where--and a friend ran out to get us some lunch. She brought back hot dogs from a nearby street vendor. She handed me a hot dog with a stripe of yellow mustard down the length of the dog, and three equal-sized dots of ketchup, all equidistant from each other, also along the length of the dog. She was an artist. I don't normally eat ketchup on hot dogs, but I smiled and ate that one.

Remember? You eat with your eyes first.

Also, as you can tell, I'm not picky. :biggrin: 

• Like 3

Oh my goodness!

Why is ketchup on a hot dog always so controversial?

There are WARS about it on Roadfood, and their moderation is not nearly as strict as it is here. You would not expect or believe the discussions! There are many restaurants on that site that prohibit ketchup so folks sneak in their own packets. If you're interested, go there. But it is absolutely crazy. I cannot BELIEVE how emotional folks can get over this (which seems to me, a tiny and dismissable issue).

I say if someone desires ketchup on their dog, just let 'em have it and back off.  :smile:

• Like 6

> ^ . . ^ <

A good hot dog for me has  cucumber relish, ketchup, mustard,  fried bacon and onion crushed, that is too me a good  hot dog, but I dont eat hot dogs that often  because my tummy disagree with them, I rather have bratwurst,  ratwurst or any other for of sausage.

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

The only place I actually SAW baby sausages with grape jelly sauce, rather than reading about it, was at a party in Manhattan in the 1980s.   (Sausage with grape jelly was the most edible selection available at that party, the other stuff was not only worse esthetically but looked as though it had been involved in a road accident.)

As for hot dogs, NEVER ketchup.  Must have mustard. Preferably cheap yellow mustard, but higher quality mustards will do if the only alternative.  Hot dogs may also be adorned with relish or sauerkraut or even both.

My MIL was a toy designer in the 80s and 90s and she designed the cutest toy food but I was always mad at her for having mustard AND ketchup on the toy hotdog. 

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)
  • Like 1

Mustard (Kosciusko Spicy Brown) sweet pickle relish (Heinz). And of course, potato chips (Lays Classic in the 3 serving(theoretically)bag) on the side.

Edited by Arey (log)

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

I thought Klingons liked bitter, strong, animal-y flavors, like steppe warriors. But the culture revers he-man types who will eat anything, so your average Klingon will eat those embellished mini-hot dogs if you're watching.

Savory and meaty (hot dogs) mixed with spicy-sweet (BBQ sauce) with more sweet plus fruity (grape jelly)--that's American, not Klingon. :raz:

As for ketchup on hot dogs...If you like it, it's not bad.

Once I was at an event somewhere--I forget where--and a friend ran out to get us some lunch. She brought back hot dogs from a nearby street vendor. She handed me a hot dog with a stripe of yellow mustard down the length of the dog, and three equal-sized dots of ketchup, all equidistant from each other, also along the length of the dog. She was an artist. I don't normally eat ketchup on hot dogs, but I smiled and ate that one.

Remember? You eat with your eyes first.

Also, as you can tell, I'm not picky. :biggrin: 

Guinan: (hands Worf a drinking glass with a brown liquid) All right. Try this.

Worf: (holding glass, looking at it) What is it?

Guinan: Just try it.

Worf: (hesitates, takes a sip, looks up in surprise)

Guinan: You see? It's an Earth drink: prune juice.

Worf: Warrior's drink.

My hot dog? Unadorned, please. Some childhood habits still persist. Ms. Alex is a mustard + ketchup person. As Thanks for the Crepes sagely wrote, "...if someone desires ketchup on their dog, just let 'em have it and back off."

• Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We eat hotdogs rarely. 

When we do,  I buy Oscar Mayer Cheese Dogs.  

I grill till blackened.  

Top with hot brown mustard and lots of tabasco sauce.   And minced white onion.

I've read that restaurants banning ketchup goes back to depression days when people would steal bottles of ketchup to make tomato soup.  One day quite a few years ago, before I knew catsup on hot dogs was controversial, I put some on a hot dog just like I always did and thought: Yuk! how did I ever like that combination? BTW does anyone still spell it catsup?  I think Brooks spelled it with a C. when they made it. 

I think it's mostly what you grew up with.  We ate a lot of ketchup growing up.  My dad, however, would occasionally eat mayonnaise on his hot dogs.

• Like 1

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Ketchup on a hot dog? Horrible flavor clash!!!

I absolutely, positively never put ketchup on hot dogs! Never!!!  :wink:

My favorite dog: "Texas Hot"...beef dog, chili sauce, mustard, fresh chopped onion on a steamed roll! 

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Ketchup on a hot dog? Horrible flavor clash!!!

I absolutely, positively never put ketchup on hot dogs! Never!!!  :wink:

My favorite dog: "Texas Hot"...beef dog, chili sauce, mustard, fresh chopped onion on a steamed roll! 

That sounds identical to a Detroit-style Coney Island hot dog!

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Trust me, the   Swedish hotdogs, there is one type , goes better with ketchup then mustard and to be honest  the best spice for that sausage is starvation.  I cant swallow it.  But we have grillkorv and if you get a bad one they are like  hot dogs but  a good one can be really yummy.

I never liked hot dogs, too greasy. As an adult I discovered Smart Dogs (fat free, not greasy) and I like them with mustard (Woeber's Sandwich Pal, Sweet and Spicy), sweet relish (Cascadian Farms), and chopped onion. Or, if I have some at hand, I'll just use a thick green chile sauce and make chile dogs. That said, I rarely eat the meat analog foods so, I do this maybe once a year.

I think it's mostly what you grew up with.  We ate a lot of ketchup growing up.  My dad, however, would occasionally eat mayonnaise on his hot dogs.

One of my favorite sandwiches is two weiners, cooked, sliced right down the middle to form long planks, and then laid carefully side by side on a piece of sandwich bread smeared with plenty of mayo, topped with a couple of tomato slices and another piece of sandwich bread smeared with plenty of mayo.

And why not?

The flavor profile of your everyday weiner is very similar to baloney and nobody finds a mayo and baloney sandwich to be odd.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If I'm going basic, just mustard or mustard and onion. But I also like a slaw dog with mustard, onion and coleslaw or a chili cheese dog with mustard, onion and jalapenos. I have no problem at all with ketchup on a dog, I just don't use it very often myself. Same with relish, I like it but rarely use it. Mayo works nicely with some topping combos but it's another one I don't use often. But I don't eat hot dogs very often in any configuration. Not a snob thing, there are just other things along that same line that I like better. Hot links and brats for example.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

As stated before, I'm in the ketchup and relish camp. But I should add that unless I can get Hoffman's Snappy Grillers I avoid hot dogs. I thought they were purely local to upstate NY until my daughter found them in a Wegmans in NJ. Of course Wegmans, like Hoffman, is based in upstate NY.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina