• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[How] Do You Garnish Your Hot Dog?

9 hours ago, chromedome said:

For me, it's mustard (grainy or Dijon), plus kraut if I've got it. Sometimes coleslaw, in the absence of kraut. Fried onions if I have them to hand, or if I'm doing dogs for a group (won't bother, for just me). Split-top bun, buttered and grilled.

Usually I only have them when I've opened a pack during a grandkid visit, and then have a few left over to use up.

Cole slaw is good stuff with a dog ,or a bratwurst for that matter.

• Like 1

Mustard , BallParkYelow , Dijon , GrermanGrainy

doest matter too much,

and lots of chopped red onion .

regular bun , micro'd for a few seconds to ' steam '

if I remember , after Micro'ing the dog ,  I torch it for a Crust.

I once had cheese on a dog.   along time ago.

it was good , but i got very sick after that , for 24 - 36 hours.

possibly unrelated.  when i think of Cheese on a Dog these days.

I immediately remember how sick I was .    more than 60 years ago.

no cheese for me , or near any cheese that's on a dog.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Mustard , BallParkYelow , Dijon , GrermanGrainy

doest matter too much,

and lots of chopped red onion .

regular bun , micro'd for a few seconds to ' steam '

if I remember , after Micro'ing the dog ,  I torch it for a Crust.

I once had cheese on a dog.   along time ago.

it was good , but i got very sick after that , for 24 - 36 hours.

possibly unrelated.  when i think of Cheese on a Dog these days.

I immediately remember how sick I was .    more than 60 years ago.

no cheese for me , or near any cheese that's on a dog.

Reeses Cups did that to me. A no fly zone still.

I do like a good char on the dog and will put it on a skewer, spiral slice and "grill" over the gas burner

• Like 1

23 hours ago, heidih said:

Cheese as in cold shredded or? I   grew up with cold shredded cheese on hard shell tacos which I still can not do. I know it is popular. Just curious,

I typically use a sliced deli cheese. American or cheddar.

Oh, and it has to be a dog with some pork in it. All beef host dogs just don't do it for me.

• Like 1

For lunch today I had a north Jersey "Texas Weiner" which is a dirty water dog with spicy mustard, chopped raw onions, and chili.  I like them all kinds of ways, but am especially fond of various combinations of potatoes, chili, or hot onions.  Sometimes though, a simple "mustard and a little kraut" is the magic combo.  One place nearby serves one that's become an occasional favorite of mine:  with chili, cheese, sour cream, ghost pepper mustard, and (don't knock it til you try it) marshmallow fluff, it's freaking amazing!

• Like 1

The only hot dogs I favor are chili dogs.

Called "Texas Hots" or just "Hots" here.

All beef hot dog, spiced finely ground beef sauce, diced fresh onion, and mustard.

ETA: Oh, and a lightly steamed bun!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Few things make me shudder like seeing someone put ketchup on a hot dog and then EAT it! LOL

I'm glad that they like it but to me it's a serious flavor clash!

Yuck! xD

When I was young I liked campfire dogs, in addition to the chili dogs mentioned above—MUSTARD only!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

My GF's preferred dog has a slice of processed cheese on either side (you tear it in half, then put the halves end to end so they reach the length of the bun) and then a slice of crisp bacon on either side, with the dog in the middle. Then she slathers on the ketchup.

She'd be the first to concede she has plebian tastes (actually she'd phrase it as "I like what I like," but it comes to the same thing). I love her anyway. :)

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2/15/2020 at 12:18 AM, captaincarl said:

For lunch today I had a north Jersey "Texas Weiner" which is a dirty water dog with spicy mustard, chopped raw onions, and chili.  I like them all kinds of ways, but am especially fond of various combinations of potatoes, chili, or hot onions.

Sounds like you've had a few Italian hot dogs in the day - Jimmy Buff's?

@TdeV, not CaptainCarl, but in this neck of the woods dirty water dogs are hot dogs fished out of street cart where they are held in a salty water vat - many times Sabrett's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I should have explained the "dirty water," thanks Suzi for the assist!

Yesss!!  I've enjoyed quite a few Italian hot dogs, and Jimmy Buff's is my all time favorite (and a visit is LONG overdue, thanks for the reminder!).  They look at me funny when I ask for "no peppers" but usually oblige the request.

15 minutes ago, captaincarl said:

I should have explained the "dirty water," thanks Suzi for the assist!

Yesss!!  I've enjoyed quite a few Italian hot dogs, and Jimmy Buff's is my all time favorite (and a visit is LONG overdue, thanks for the reminder!).  They look at me funny when I ask for "no peppers" but usually oblige the request.

NO PEPPERS!!!   SCANDALOUS!

• Haha 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

26 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've always wondered about dirty dogs.  Why the salt water?  Hot dogs are salty (to me).  

I always  thought the water just got salty as the dogs enjoyed their hot tub

• Like 3

On 2/15/2020 at 9:47 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

Few things make me shudder like seeing someone put ketchup on a hot dog and then EAT it! LOL

I'm glad that they like it but to me it's a serious flavor clash!

Yuck! xD

When I was young I liked campfire dogs, in addition to the chili dogs mentioned above—MUSTARD only!

My adult children put ketchup on hot dogs.

I blame their mother.

• Haha 8

On 2/15/2020 at 6:00 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

The only hot dogs I favor are chili dogs.

Called "Texas Hots" or just "Hots" here.

All beef hot dog, spiced finely ground beef sauce, diced fresh onion, and mustard.

ETA: Oh, and a lightly steamed bun!

Where I grew up, in the north east corner of NY state, such a dog is called a michigan. Ideally, the dogs should be the red Glazier frankfurters made with pork and beef and a snappy natural casing. 

You order your michigan "with," "without," or "with buried," all referring to the fresh chopped onion. In the last option, the onions are buried under dog and sauce.  Mustard is applied in a single line.  I've never heard of any other condiments being used. I don't know what would happen if you asked for ketchup or relish.  It certainly doesn't seem right. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

Oh, my goodness,  this expat is drooling.

I've been craving a good hot dog,  and they were served at lunch at the workplace Friday.  No condiment but ketchup, rolls were sweetish potato variety.

Didn't quite scratch the itch.

For sauerkraut, I can only buy it in giant cans of charcouterie - and those are some rubbery weenies, man.  

My favorite variety is "with the works" in NYC, but at home it's with with kraut simmered in chicken broth and caraway seeds, with a slather of whole grain mustard.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

This morning we left the flea market without our normal early morning "lunch".    At home, we heated up two Ball Parks, stuffed them into heated buns.   Mayo, catsup, Frnech's, chopped lettuce and red onion.    A jalapeno on mine, not husband's.   Then into bed at new 10am for a several hour nap since we had left the house at new 5:45am. 

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

IMG_9085.thumb.JPG.1e35c782a11f7d895da66249443a1067.JPG

Not long ago, Significant Eater and I were in Chicago for a few days. Which meant we had to have a dog or two...

IMG_9084.thumb.JPG.6b90c47ba7995f9757a21460dfd63aed.JPG'

With pickled jalapeños, onions, pickles, mustard, relish, etc.  Wasn't bad.

At home though, or at Katz's, it's griddled with mustard and sauerkraut.  As it should be.  

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Okay, so I eat a hot dog maybe twice a year. Or less. But I had a craving. One thing I usually find disappointing is the buns that are available. But we had a desperation day and I just couldn't face making a major shopping list.  In the fridge were a few leftover flour tortillas and half a cabbage. So, we bought some dogs. Maybe you could call this a Mexican hot dog without the bacon. Or you could call it a ball park burrito. I made a slaw flavored with mustard and a little creme fraiche (my idea of crema if I don't have the real thing) and some home made pickled jalapenos, cilantro, lime, etc. The dogs were grilled outside, the tortillas heated on the comal.  Maybe I was just very hungry, but it was surprisingly good. Mine had a very generous amount of slaw. I can certainly see throwing a slice of crisp bacon in the mix.

I grew up with the NY standard: mustard, sauerkraut and best of all a papaya drink from Papaya King. Papayas are easy to come by, and it has to be a snap to make some kind of drink in my Ninja bullet to approximate the King, so perhaps hot dogs will be in my nearer future. Despite the draw of PK I suspect flying to NY these days on a whim is not likely.

• Like 3