• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[How] Do You Garnish Your Hot Dog?

As, I've said before here, I'm pretty much burnt out on hot, dogs, but try to eat them with Hebrew Nationals occasionally because my husband loves them so much. I figure if they are kosher, I can trust the ingredients more, and the taste seems to bear that out.

I want to try a Chicago dog and a Sonoran dog at least once. I can't source poppy seed rolls or sport peppers easily, so I'll need to track them down at a restaurant probably.

Kerry, I recently found the elusive New England top-sliced hot dog buns under the Pepperidge Farm brand in my local (not high-end) grocer. It might be a good bet if you have that brand up there. They are easier to grill crispy (on the outside only) without the roll falling apart and splitting. They made much better containers if you're going to load your dog down with condiments, and make it much easier to pick up and eat.

I have tried bacon-wrapped dogs after seeing them years ago on an Emeril show, believe it or not. He said it was some hotel's recipe, which I can't recall the details of anymore. Doesn't sound like his usual style, but I'm sure that's where I saw it. Bam!  :smile:

His version calls for the dogs to be split lengthwise not all the way through then stuffed with slender rectangular logs of cheese like cheddar, then grilled until the bacon is crispy. It's possible to anchor the ends of the bacon strip under the wrapping if you do it carefully, so no toothpicks required. Even when your cheese is very cold, some will melt out and brown around your grilling hot dogs. This is okay, and just adds to the goodness, but do make sure your cheese is very cold when it goes into the dog. We like these dogs nekid in grilled buns; they have lots of flavor on their own. But as always, pile on whatever your heart desires.

The cocktail wieners have been around since at least 1968, as there is a recipe in my "Better Homes and Gardens" cookbook from that year. The "Betty Crocker Cookbook" from 1976 also has a recipe for them that is a variation on their recipe for cocktail meatballs. Betty calls for chili sauce instead of mustard with the grape jelly, but is no more complicated than the Better Homes version with mustard and grape jelly. Both recipes call for them to be done on the stove top and served hot. I don't know for sure that Crockpots hadn't come out yet, but neither I nor no one I knew had one back then.

In the early eighties, my friend and co-worker served these at a party at her house (the mustard version) made in a Crockpot. She wouldn't say what was in them, and just told everyone to give them a try. After we did, and most people found them delicious and I found them edible, she told us what was in them. I was pretty shocked, but they were popular and disappeared.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <

I want to try a Chicago dog and a Sonoran dog at least once. I can't source poppy seed rolls or sport peppers easily, so I'll need to track them down at a restaurant probably.

It seems there is a purveyer of Chicago Dogs near you.  :-)  I have no idea how good or authentic they are at this place, of course.

https://www.zomato.com/research-triangle/cloos-coney-island-hot-dogs-raleigh/menu#tabtop

Or, a little further, in Asheboro...

http://courier-tribune.com/get/do/chicago-dogs-hit-asheboro

(Or, you could drive up to Chicago. :-)  Closer than Scottsdale or Tempe in Arizona where there are Portillo's outlets.)

I like Chicago dogs.  Whenever I'm in downtown Chitown I try to hit at least the Portillo's on Ontario and get my fix of Italian Beef, hot dipped, as well.  Or at Al's Beef down the road.  Lots of other places of course, depends on where in Chicagoland I am in.  I can get a sort-of Chicago dog in Indy at Fat Dan's. :-)

• Like 1

Not a huge hot dog fan, but do like them occasionally, grilled or roasted on a stick over a campfire. Soft white bun. Mustard, sweet relish, The bacon wrapped dog with cheese in the middle sounds good; I may try that for my next cookout. I love a mini-corndog (sold as "corn pups" at the corn dog stand) -- they have about the right proportion of corn to dog. Must have with lots of mustard, preferably honey mustard.

And it's cocktail sausages (Little Smokies, from your supermarket sausage case) AND meatballs in the jelly and barbecue sauce in the crockpot, though I personally prefer raspberry jam and bbq sauce. The same Little Smokies, wrapped in half a crescent roll triangle, become the canonical "pig in a blanket," and are a favorite weekend breakfast to this day at my house when the kids are here.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Re. the bacon-wrapped, cheese-stuffed hot dogs; if you parcook the bacon a bit, it can get crisp before the cheese melts out if both the cheese and hot dog are very cold. 

• Like 1

Part of the goodness of the bacon-wrapped cheese-stuffed hot dogs' goodness is that the cheese oozes out and becomes crispy and brown. This can all be accomplished with cold hot dogs, very cold cheese (stick it in the freezer a few minutes after cutting your cheese logs) and raw bacon. It comes together beautifully. You want that browned cheese, trust me. Trust Emeril. Bam!  :laugh:

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

If we make quick dogs at home with regular buns, I like to toast the buns and melt a bit of cheese on them and then add sweet pickles (bread & butter or Yum-Yums) and lots of regular mustard. 

We occasionally have a dog at Costco if we are hungry and in a hurry. I love that they have sauerkraut, sometimes that's all I use. 

What are Yum-Yums? 

And ditto on Costco dogs -- $1.50 for a huge dog, with sauerkraut and mustard, with a soft drink.  Fun lunch!

In NYC: brown mustard and sauerkraut

In New England: yellow mustard and raw onions and/or sweet relish

In Western Mass / Upstate New York: chili and raw onions

In Chicago: full salad with pickles & sports peppers

• Like 1

Sadly, nobody has ever accused me of being a picky eater and I like it all.

But, after reading this thread, it's obvious to me that my favorite is chili, yellow mustard, and plenty of chopped raw onions.

• Like 4

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

An internet friend from New Jersey sent me this recipe.  I have tried it and we think it's really good on hot dogs.

“Greek Style”

Hamburger & Hot dog Chili Sauce

2- Tbs. Cooking Oil

1- Medium Size Onion ( *Chopped Fine )

1- Clove Garlic minced finely.

1-½ Lb. Chopped Meat ( Ground Three Times if You Can Get It )

1-½- Tbs. Cumin Powder

2- Tbs. Oregano Powder (alternate = Dried / & Ground in mortar and pestle )

¼ -tsp. Cayenne Hot pepper

1- Tbs. Red Paprika (Hungarian Preferred) 

2- Tbs. Chili Powder (* Not the Hot )

1- Can Tomato Sauce ( 15 or 16 oz. size )

3- Cups Water* ( L@@Ks like a lot, but needed )

Salt & Pepper to Taste …. ( *I use Kosher Salt )

Brown Meat in Oil..with Onions till browned. (Drain off Excess Fat)

Add all the other ingredients ; Cook over low heat until thickened. ( I place it on a heat diffuser so the bottom won’t burn; even though it is on low flame.) 

* It takes a while to thicken, and patience is worth it with this recipe. ( Cheating, by adding less water is a No- No with this one) [Tried it, been there, and not a good idea] The flavors take time to meld and marry into the meat. Stir Frequently so as not to burn.

Enjoy! ……..[ Recipe.. From Jim & Tina’s Kitchen ]"

• Like 2

We visit Las Vegas quite a bit and that is the only place I have bought a hot dog from a cart in years. I like the Vienna Beef natural casing, prepared dirty water style, with sauerkraut chopped raw onions and yellow mustard which we often eat poolside. At home I buy the Deutschmacher natural casing which I also prepare dirty water style with chopped kimchee, chopped onions and yellow mustard.

Deb, on the other hand likes ketchup, mustard, relish and chopped onions put on the roll first with the dog on top which I dutifully prepare at the cart and bring to the pool with in Vegas. Given the choice, she prefers it grilled which is how I do it at home. For some reason the Deutsmacher does not lend itself well to grilling so she insists on Ocar Meyer, which I abhor, but prepare nonetheless. 

She also finds the New England style hot dog roll, butter toasted is an integral part of the dish when possible. If I am cooking for myself, I am quite happy with the 89 cent Aldi's 8 pack roll. 

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

The guy who gave me the recipe said it was the Greek style used back east on hot dogs.  I have another friend formerly from Ohio who said it was like she remembers.  I have tried it and  we all like it. I have tried Cincinnati chili and do not like it at all. When I served it a couple times, no one in my family liked it.  I have no explanation why he called it Greek style, I just passed on the recipe he gave me for hot dog chili and have tried it and think it is really a good combination. 

Steamies were popular in Quebec-might still be. Steamed hot dog and bun..all dressed was mustard and relish with coleslaw on top. I loved raw onions on mine. When I have them now I grill them, toast the bun and put mustard and relish on them. Don't eat them often though.

Steamies have never gone out of style here in Quebec.  "All dressed" will include the chopped raw onions as well as the mustard, relish and coleslaw.

If I'm in the mood, I'll get them "toasté".  Which would get you a split top bun, buttered and griddled.  The hot dog is also put on the flat top for a spin.

In Montreal, I've never seen any other hot dog brand other than Lester's sold at all the local casse croutes.  Meh ....

For me, nothing has even come close to a Chicago dog.  Although a chili dog at the Coney Island Nathan's was pretty damn close....

• Like 3

Steamies have never gone out of style here in Quebec.  "All dressed" will include the chopped raw onions as well as the mustard, relish and coleslaw.

If I'm in the mood, I'll get them "toasté".  Which would get you a split top bun, buttered and griddled.  The hot dog is also put on the flat top for a spin.

In Montreal, I've never seen any other hot dog brand other than Lester's sold at all the local casse croutes.  Meh ....

For me, nothing has even come close to a Chicago dog.  Although a chili dog at the Coney Island Nathan's was pretty damn close....

Thanks wokkingtall , the Safeway out here tried selling Nathans for awhile but I guess the demand wasn't there as I haven't seen them in quite a while. 

And ditto on Costco dogs -- $1.50 for a huge dog, with sauerkraut and mustard, with a soft drink.  Fun lunch!

When I visit Costco, about once a month, I get the concierge of my building a hot dog.  She loves 'em! This Costco, unfortunately, does not have sauerkraut, just ketchup, mustard, and sweet relish.  If they offered sauerkraut, I'd probably try one of those puppies.  Their relish is WAY too sweet and cloying for my taste.

I like my dogs with a crisp and snappy casing, on a lightly toasted sesame or sourdough bun, with a light application of brown or deli-style mustard and a good amount of warm-hot sauerkraut.  The mustard must be directly on the dog, sauerkraut over the mustard.  I hate it when the mustard is on top.

• Like 1

... Shel

Lunch today:  Hot Dogs w/ Nathan's Beef Franks and Dietz & Watson natural casing Beef Franks (two each; one of each shown in pic) in French Brioche Hot Dog Buns [The Fresh Market] and garnished/topped w/ the meat sauce (chez huiray) from here (made with cinnamon & cloves as two of the spicing agents).  Accompanied by pickled rakkyo (scallion bulbs; Allium chinense) [shirakiku] (see below) and julienned Napa cabbage inner leaves & a few sprigs of flowering spinach.

DSCN5157a_800.jpg

The pickled rakkyo.

DSCN5161a_600.jpg

• Like 8

When I visit Costco, about once a month, I get the concierge of my building a hot dog.  She loves 'em! This Costco, unfortunately, does not have sauerkraut, just ketchup, mustard, and sweet relish.  If they offered sauerkraut, I'd probably try one of those puppies. 

Have you ever asked them if they have sauerkraut? Some do, but they store it in the cooler. I know the ones in Tucson leaves the sauerkraut out, but here in BC they keep them in small individual containers in the cooler. You would never know they have it unless you ask. 

Have you ever asked them if they have sauerkraut? Some do, but they store it in the cooler. I know the ones in Tucson leaves the sauerkraut out, but here in BC they keep them in small individual containers in the cooler. You would never know they have it unless you ask. 

Next time I go, I'll ask ...

... Shel

I found Emeril's recipe for the cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dogs:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/stuffed-dogs-recipe.html

I wouldn't grate the cheese as recommended in the recipe, but rather cut it into logs and put them in the freezer a few minutes. That way you can get the bacon crispier than shown in his photo before the cheese melts.

I started doubting my memory, because as I said before, this is not the style of food that pops into one's mind when thinking of Emeril.

The bad thing is, now I have an intense craving for them, so Hebrew Nationals went on the grocery list.

Edit: I found the hotel Emeril referred to: The Beverly Hills Hotel, and this item is still shown on the menu of the Fountain Coffee Room under "Hot Sandwiches" as the Maison Dog for $16. So if you make these, just think how much money you're saving!  :laugh:

http://www.dorchestercollection.com/uploads/documents/BeverlyHillsHotel/GeneralDocuments/FountainCoffee2013_1.pdf

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

The guy who gave me the recipe said it was the Greek style used back east on hot dogs.  I have another friend formerly from Ohio who said it was like she remembers.  I have tried it and  we all like it. I have tried Cincinnati chili and do not like it at all. When I served it a couple times, no one in my family liked it.  I have no explanation why he called it Greek style, I just passed on the recipe he gave me for hot dog chili and have tried it and think it is really a good combination. 

Usually called Texas Weiner sauce here in northwest NJ.  It is bottled and sold at many of the Greek run diners up here so perhaps his name for it .......?

Toasted bun, hot dog mustard, shredded cheese , THEN the grilled dog and a line of ketchup (my new favorite is the French's that just came out).  Also, if I can find them, the Park's finest from Ballpark are really tasty.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ours in Toronto used to keep it out in a big tub, but now you have to ask and they dole it out in mini paper cups. 

• Like 1

I found Emeril's recipe for the cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dogs:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/stuffed-dogs-recipe.html

I wouldn't grate the cheese as recommended in the recipe, but rather cut it into logs and put them in the freezer a few minutes. That way you can get the bacon crispier than shown in his photo before the cheese melts.

His directions for turning the dog and the cheese side down last- is this still appropriate for the frozen cheese modification?