• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reduced Sugar Buttercream

CatPoet

I am making  white chocolate butter cream and   dark chocolate butter cream.

I found one that looked promising but it way too sweet for me, even though the recipe is  low sugared compared to most I can find on-line. I like the fluffiness and spread-ability of this butter cream.  I just want a bit more chocolaty flavour and less in your face sweetness.

This is the recipe.

300 gram of unsalted butter / sweet butter

540 gram of powder sugar/ icing sugar

180 gram of  melted chocolate.

Do any one have any idea what I can do?

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Apart from just trying less sugar, which shouldn't be a problem, I can only suggest a different recipe.

My go-to buttercream recipe uses 500g butter to 300g sugar, so it should be less sweet than yours.  The exact recipe is to boil the 300g sugar to 121C, whip the egg yolks and pour the syrup into it,  let it cool down then beat the 500g of butter into it.  Then add flavouring, chocolate etc etc to it.  

It's the best buttercream recipe I've found, I prefer it to ones that use egg-whites.

I prefer that one too BUT my husband and the boyfriend prefers   Old fashion  English butter cream and since it is their cakes , then I have to make it the way they like it and also we have one person in the  gang who cant have eggs, so one cake is egg free fully.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Oh I can sympathise.  I have a certain combination of nieces and nephews that means no dairy, no soy, no wheat and no eggs.  It is amazing to think that there are still delicious things we can make!

If you want it less sweet, I can only suggest that less sugar will do.

To make the dark chocolate one more intense, try using cocoa powder as well as chocolate.  If you make it into a paste first with boiling water you can avoid lumps.

I find white chocolate a difficult flavour, there's not much too it.  I guess your problem adding enough flavour to the buttercream so it doesn't simply taste like sugar.  Apart from adding loads more white chocolate, you could always try using a bit of condensed milk instead of all the sugar (some brands of white chocolate taste like condensed milk).  Also, if your supermarket sells cans of baking caramel (which are just cans of condensed milk that have been boiled for 4 hours, aka dulce de leche) then a small amount can also add a flavour that distracts from the overall sweetness of something that is really just butter and sugar. It isn't white chocolate, but it's a complimentary flavour that again distracts from the pure sugariness.

Condensed milk may be a good Idea, I see what I can find. Dulce de leche cost  47 Sek for a tiny jar but pre cooked condensed milk caramel cost 25 for a much larger jar Flavourings  and extracts are not common here, that could otherwise solve the problem. I was thinking adding strawberry purée and make  chocolate strawberry frosting but  the cake have to be white since I am making a Captain America cake.

My friend can eat eggs in theory but then his meds wont work and we rather have him egg free and alive.