• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Japanese curry

BON

• 3 months later...

I love kare a lot and my grandma always makes it when my cousins come over to visit. I just purchased some spices from an Indian market so I can grind them together and make my own curry powder. I plan on comparing the flavor to the S&B powdered curry I have. Thanks for those recipes, I'm going to use them along with an Indian curry powder recipe I have. My grandmother told me she used to only use the powder but she couldn't find it anymore as the years went by, so she started buying the roux. I just found it at Marukai, the supermarket down here, while I was walking down the curry aisle.

• 5 months later...

I made the S&B Medium-Hot curry for dinner tonight. I used beef cubes, a LOT of onions, potatoes, and carrots, and half tomato juice, half water. I've got leftovers (with rice) for lunch tomorrow.

One question: How do you pronounce "karee" in Japanese? Is it KA-ree or ka-REE? (I have Japanese class first thing in the morning and they usually ask about my lunch so I would like to be able to say the word correctly.... :huh: )

Edited by jeniac42 (log)

Jennie

I made the S&B Medium-Hot curry for dinner tonight.  I used beef cubes, a LOT of onions, potatoes, and carrots, and half tomato juice, half water.  I've got leftovers (with rice) for lunch tomorrow.

One question: How do you pronounce "karee" in Japanese?  Is it KA-ree or ka-REE?  (I have Japanese class first thing in the morning and they usually ask about my lunch so I would like to be able to say the word correctly....  :huh: )

ka-REE is the correct pronunciation.

(I am assuming that you understand that Japanese is a pitch accent language.)

If you say Ka-ree, it means this fish:

http://www.daiwaseiko.co.jp/fishing/fish/sea/karei.html

カレイ

Curry is spelled カレー in Japanese.

Wasn't there a thread on Japanese curry day somewhere? Or the one with cream stew made from roux? I finally bought a box of curry and cream roux and I want a simple no-fuss recipe which doesn't taste crap (I'm lazy but have high standards unfortunately). As an exchange student, I got to taste 6 different families' curry. Only one was really good (most tasted good at first but you get sick of it halfway through).

ive made a 180 and now i like curry.

i guess it was only a matter of time. i just hated it when we had curry night at home and inevitably, id only manage to down half a bowl...

anyway, its all good now. love it.

though this isnt curry proper, ive just tried some curry yakisoba. delish!

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

Anyone here had Jamaican Curry or other Carribean style curries?

What are they like?

what are some typical ingredients?

The Jamaican curry are much milder comparing to the Indian curry. It is kind of similar to the J style curry but it is not as thick. You can taste a light hint of allspice in many Jamaican curries. Curried Mutton and curried chicken are more common one on the menu. For the Rastafarian, curried mixed vegetable or soy protein. Most curry dishes are served with cocconut flavored rice and bean (in my case, I like to use a shot of rhum instead of coconut milk) and stewed kale. And the taste is all "One Love" with or without the Ginger Beer!!!

Leave the gun, take the canoli

• 2 months later...
What do you all think about this recipe?

Curry from scratch

Well, I think it's a great recipe. I can never bring myself to follow that recipe, though.

In Japan, there are some yoshoku restaurants that spend a whole week making curry roux.

Just one example:

http://www.ctv.co.jp/gourmet/shop/2000/0921/06.html

(Japanese only).

I searched and searched for some time, but I couldn't find any recipe that takes a whole week. So, I asked for help on this forum. Turmeric kindly provided me with some information. She suggested that the recipe I was searching for might be this one.

(Japanese only)

The recipe says that it consists of four stages: curry roux making, soup making, mixing, and seasoning, which take 2 to 3 days, 2 to 3 + 1 = 3 to 4 days, 1 day, and 1 to 2 hours, respectively, so it takes 6 to 8 days in total.

I don't want to translate such a long recipe, so I used this translator to translate it. Results:

The procedure makes Caralu, soup is taken, Lu and soup are mixed, and it consists of four stages of seasoning.

Please try to calculate and make it because the amount is one boiler (For about 250 plates) made in our shop.

Curry roux

Material of roux(35 curry source ? can be done by Lu of this amount. )

Lard: 2.6 kilos

Onion: Two kilos

Ginger: 700 grams

Garlic: 500 grams

Soft flour: 2.3 kilos

Curry powder: 1050 grams

Laurier: Ten pieces

Parsley (stalk): 7

Sage, nutmeg, mustard seed, and Cumin seed at time

?Garlic ..5milli thickness.. and ..onion.. ginger are sliced to 2-3milli thickness.

?Lard is heated, and the onion of ? is deep-fried to the frying-pan. It deep-fries with about 150℃ until deliberately becoming like brown.

It moves it to the bat.

??It drinks, lard is done in, it heats again, the ginger of ? is deep-fried according to the same points as the onion, and it moves it to the same bat as the onion.  It puts it.

?Garlic is fried according to doing and the same points and lard is moved to the bat.

?Laurier, time, and sage and the nutmeg, etc. are added to the bat that includes the deep-fried onion etc. and it mixes it roughly.

??It is doing ..drinking.. lard, and to the low flame after rough heat is taken slowly ..putting the mustard seed and the Cumin seed..  Crackling it heats and the stalk of parsley is put when popping.

??The powder scorches to add 3/4 of the the soft flour and curry powders, and so as not to scorch it do not injure stickiness and deep.  It stir-fries until becoming brown (For 1-2 hours).

It lowers from ..roasting.. .... Ca, and 1/4 of the remainder of the curry powder is often mixed in addition.

???Can be mixed.

- To make it become familiar though it ready of the roux this, you should lay it down at 2-3 room temperatures.

Soup

Ingredients of soup(Is the amount of the completion of soup 25-30?)

Bird: 40-50(In our shop, Gara of the wisdom floor home chicken is used. )

Water: About 25.

Welsh onion, ginger, garlic, onion, carrot, seaweed, and , bouquet garni, etc.

(material put after is done once)

Onion: 10

Carrot: 4

Apple: 20

Banana: 15

Ginger: 500 grams

Garlic: 300 grams

Basil and red pepper at time

?Chicken Gara is exposed to the stream at night and blood is pulled out.

It must put in the pan of chicken Gara that pulls out blood, chicken Gara must add water as put on, and ..fire.. to the stop of the fire immediately before the boil, and Zal  It opens, it washes in water, Ac is washed beautifully, and it drops. ..(.. because it becomes easy to take by Ac's hardening if it washes with the cool water  Warm..water..wash.

?To the pan?It is a bouquet garni, a Welsh onion, ginger, garlic, an onion, a carrot, and seaweed drinking, putting Niwatori Gara, and in addition of the water of the amount.  Nad is put, heated, it makes to the low flame in the place in which it boils while diligently taking Ac on the way, and 2-3 is cooked.

(When cooking it, you may put the salt a little for antisepsis. )

??Is done and is done with the container.

?The onion and the carrot are stir-fried until slicing about 5milli and becoming a light-brown color. The seed is taken and the apple is grated. Bana  Na is crushed by the hand. Ginger and garlic are printed and lowered.

??To ..drinking.. soup. It cooks and .... is done adding basil and the red pepper at time on the first.

Curry source

?Lu is put in a large pan, and it melts it by the low flame completely. Soup is boiled with another pan.

When Lu melts, it mixes it shutting off the heat once, and adding warm soup at a dash. The fire is set fire again when it melts.

It boils so as not to scorch it while mixing it, and it makes to the low flame, it cooks on the first, and is done when boiling.

Seasoning

?The Cumin seed, turmeric, clove, the nutmeg, and it is cinnamon and piece until the fire of a completed curry source.  Spice such as Riandar, tomato puree, coconut milk, yogurt, milk, whipped cream, sake, and wasp  Mitsu is added, the taste is straightened with the salt, the soy sauce, raw sugar, Nam Pla, the sake, and the pepper, etc. , and it doesn't boil so much.  It boils for 1-2 hours and it completes it the way.

Please hold out and challenge.

I think that the material, the spice, and the amount are excellent even if suitably adjusted at each home.

I'm sure you don't want to try this one. :biggrin:

I remember seeing another long curry recipe before, but as interesting as it sounds, I just don't know when I'd ever get around to cooking something like that. For me, curry tends to be something I cook (from package!) when I don't want to bother cooking anything difficult or when I can't figure out what else to cook.

Still, I can't help but wonder what such a grand recipe would taste like!

Turmeric, who says she is hooked on curry, also provided a link to this site (Japanese only).

This restaurant in Osaka serves what they call 'hyaku-jikan curry' (100-hour curry) (700 yen). The curry takes 100 hours (about 4 days) to make, and they add a secret ingredient that they call 'kuro' (black).

at the local curry house (one of them, that is!) the latest thing is to serve the curry in a stone pot ala dolsot bibinba.

this dolsot thing is a big craze it seems in japan. i seen a zojirushi rice cooker with a dolsot function!

i really wanted to get it although i couldnt justify it.

when mine breaks down... i hope its still around.

somehow i think its just a trend and that it will be gone now.

that makes a great excuse to go out and get one now, dont it.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo

oh and the stone pot curry?  with a beef katsu on top, just about the best stuff out there.  curried okoge -- AWESOME!

The stone pot fad does seem to be fading, but a couple weeks ago I had a stone pot mapodofu at a restaurant and it was really good. :biggrin:

I haven't noticed curry anywhere, it does sound good though.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 months later...

Today, I saw a strange curry dish on a TV program:

Yaki curry!

It's made by putting some cooked rice in a pan, add curry sauce, cheese, and some other ingredients, and baking it in an oven.

I learned that it originated in Moji in Kyushu.

You can see some photos from here.

• 3 weeks later...

I am really fond of the Japanese curry mixes...and have learned that House Foods have started a new line of the curry called "Prime Vermont" curry that is low/no fat due to a non-fat roux. I have looked high and low on over 10 different Japanese grocery sites and I am unfortunate to not live near an entirely Japanese grocery store such as Mitsuwa and the like...but have to scrounge for these items in predominatly Chinese/Vietnamese owned stores which carry verry little variety of Japanese products (in fact, when making okonomiyaki, I have to use "Korean pancake mix" because I can't find Japanese okonomiyaki flour) Anyway, Has anyone over there in the land of the rising sun found any? Tasted any? Even have a clue what I'm talking about? Please let me know. :smile:

PS: And, if you do find some, send me a whole crate..heard they're only ¥300 a pop :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by jtnippon1985 (log)

I don't know why people need special okonomiyaki mixes. I just use flour and grated nagaimo, egg, and some salt, which is probably more natural and more like what you'd get in a decent okonomiyaki restaurant than any mixes you can buy.

You can do the same thing with a roux; the Japanese curry roux is not a requirement, it's just a convenience. While I'm fairly certain many "curry shops" rely on this industrial sludge, it's really not at its essence much more than a classic roux (usually animal fat cooked at a low temperature with flour, or butter and flour) with added seasonings (turmeric, fenugreek, coriander seeds, cumin, maybe cinnamon, mustard seeds, and chilies, as a start), sometimes fruit or other flavor components, salt, and most likely, sugar.

Low fat roux is not really roux, but I'm sure you can simulate it by using cornstarch and less fat.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I didn't know about it until you mentioned it, and I think I have seen a TV commercial for it for the first time today.

You can view a commerical from here.

You must click OK to view it.

It sounds like an attractive product. I'll look for it the next time I go shopping.

I haven't seen this product before. I like S&B medium curry but for some reason it is hard to find in the supermarkets near me. I have to agree with other posters fat+flour = roux. roux from a box = so so . I will try to browse several "Japanese curry" recipes to see what they have in common. I know that apples are a fairly common addition. I have all the indian spices now, so I might even try a recipe. Curry shops are cool. They will sometimes have gimmick curries such as extremely spicy curry, black curry, or indo curry rice ("Indian" style curry and rice). The smell coming from curry shops is soooo good.

My favorite is gekikara katsu karee raisu(extremely spicy curry with tonkatsu) with extra fukujinzuke(reddish daikon pickles that come with curry)

I didn't know about it until you mentioned it, and I think I have seen a TV commercial for it for the first time today.

It sounds like an attractive product.  I'll look for it the next time I go shopping.

I got one pack of Prime Vermont (medium hot) for 278 yen today. I'll post a picture of it when I make curry with it, along with some comments.

It sounds like an attractive product.  I'll look for it the next time I go shopping.

I got one pack of Prime Vermont (medium hot) for 278 yen today. I'll post a picture of it when I make curry with it, along with some comments.

glad to hear, also if you dont mind, saying what the calories/fat amount/saturated fat/sodium amount is for a one person serving ?