• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knife Guard

Shel_B

I want to buy a knife guard for my 8-inch Victorinox chef knife.  CI recommends this one.

Any comments on this particular guard, or another that you may have used.  I need the guard because I'll be using the knife at Toots' place, and the knife won't fit into her block.  The knife won't be transported anywhere once it's at Toots' place as I have another at my place.

Thanks!

... Shel

Shel, I own two of them and find them to be a pain in the butt. The locking mechanism is not to my liking.  I prefer MesserMeister Edge Guards. They can be had from many places. Ever since I lost my local source I order mine from www.knifemerchant.com and have had very good service from them. I  ordered 3 guards Monday night (one to replace one of the blade safes) and they were delivered Wednesday.

http://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?categoryID=418

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I like the magnetic ones. They're easy to use and easy to clean. And you can trim them for a perfect fit. They're a bit heavy, but I only hear this complaint from pros who have to transport a whole lot of knives. I usually just have three or four in my knife roll and the weight isn't noticeable.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

The only MesserMiester edge guard that I haven't liked is the small one for paring knives. It didn't want to stay on.

Since I carry 6 paring knives to use in my ren faire feast kitchen my DW made me a custom knife roll just for paring knives. It is made of multiple layers of heavy duck cloth with individual pockets for each knife so I don't worry about the paring knives cutting through the fabric or getting damaged clattering against each other.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have tried several blade guards but use only the MesserMeister - I have them in all sized from the very long - for my long bread knives and the big cheese knife (with two handles) to the short ones for paring knives.

I have a couple of knives that are odd lengths and one advantage is that these can be cut to fit.

They stay on firmly but are easy to place and remove.

Shel_B I forgot to mention, I got a similar one to the one you link to in your post.  Mine made by Lamson - it cracked after just a few months - while I was inserting the blade and I got a small cut in the webbing between my thumb and index finger.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

MesserMeister is what we use too.  Quite inexpensive and they hold up very well.  As mentioned earlier they are available many places.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I went on to the BB&B website. At least in our area they are mail-order only items.

There was 1 user review - which was negative. But the complainer missed an important point and is misinformed, at least to me, about knife lengths. He seemed to miss the point that even by the product name they are edge guards, not blade safes. He complained about them not entirely covering the knife. His second assertion is that 8" knives are actually 8.5" long as the norm. When I got home I measured 4 different 8" knives that I own. The longest was 8 1/8", a far cry from 8.5". I'm putting this out there so that anyone who is interested in them will know that the bad review was from a rather uninformed person.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

For my knife roll, I just use the flat ones. The soft rubber(?) in the previous reply would frighten me - if the knife is that sharp I'd worry about cutting through the guard when putting it back on.

Mostly I carry around a single chef's knife, and I use a scabbard-style guard for this - like http://www.amazon.ca/Victorinox-BladeSafe-Knife-Case-8/dp/B0054752W0. This is nice because it just ISN'T going to come off the blade accidentally.

MesserMeister is what we use too.  Quite inexpensive and they hold up very well.  As mentioned earlier they are available many places.

Me, too, er, five.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Another one here for cardboard folded over and duck tape.

Use it for my cleavers and a couple of knives that are in the draw.

Cardboard, duct tape, and wrapping with newspaper really isn't what I'm looking for, although the techniques may be good as a temporary solution and for transporting the knife up to Toots' place.

... Shel

Another cheap way for me. Works for me for my many knives.

dcarch

I thought about something like that, but it wouldn't work for Toots should she decide to use the knife. 

... Shel

I use plastic paper binders on a few of my knives

3dfa429d68c4e70e2cad5de79a2b6e96.jpg

Cheap and easy

Plastic paper binders is a great idea. Try this out, if you have not done so already.

For curved blades, use rubber band to tie the binder to conform to the curvature of the blade. Dip in boiling water for a minute, then run it under cold water.

You will have the binder permanently curved.

dcarch

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So anybody that knows me will tell you I am hard to get off dead center, to try new things if I an happy with something already. Given that, I decided to order a couple of the Victornox magnetic edge protectors. They arrived this afternoon.

They are definitely heavier than my beloved Messermeister edge protectors. Multiply that up by the 7 or so knives I carry in each knife roll and it adds up.

I am used to just slipping of the Messermeister. The  Victornox definitely takes a bit more focus.

Conclusion: I will use them in my secondary knife roll, the one that has the knives that only go out to my ren faire kitchens which go on magnetic strips or into a knife block for the run of a season. For my "travelling" knife roll I'll keep on using the Messermeister edge guards.

Thank you, Knife Merchant of San Diego for another quickly filled order.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 3 weeks later...

I have an update on the Victonox/Forschner Magnetic Edge Guards.

I left a brand-new never-used 10" Dexter Basics knife in one the V-F Mag edge guards. It was left in the guild's kitchen trailer at the NorCal Ren Faire 2 weeks ago. The trailer has some ventilation on 3 sides and at the end where the stoves are 2 walls are mesh. Yes, it gets hot, but no, it's not a sealed-up environment.

I went to remove the edge guard Saturday morning and was having more difficulty that I expected. Once I got the guard off the additional difficulty was obvious. The magnetic material has partially melted and adhered to the blade:

Mag_Edge_Guard.jpg

I was able to clean it up but I will be trashing or re-purposing the V-G magnetic edge guards and will order some more MeisserMeister guards.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;