• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fat in pate de fruits

pastrygirl

Before I start experimenting, does anyone here have an understanding of how pate de fruits would be affected by fatty ingredients?  Boiron has a formula for coconut, but I don't now how fatty their coconut puree is.  I recall eating an olive oil pate de fruit somewhere in Australia and wondering how it worked.  Is pectin gel formation affected by fat?  Would the texture be softer?  Greweling does not make any mention of fat in the section on jellies, obviously with most fruit it is not an issue.

Berries and cream, pbj, melon with prosciutto... will it work?

This subject is outside my realm of expertise, to say the least.  However in the Harvard Science and Cooking lecture on Olive Oil and Viscosity Carles Tejedor demonstrates (and hands out to the audience) a savory jelly made from olive oil.  Though I am not sure jelly is the proper term for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw13buzZKOQ&index=36&list=PL546CD09EA2399DAB

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This subject is outside my realm of expertise, to say the least.  However in the Harvard Science and Cooking lecture on Olive Oil and Viscosity Carles Tejedor demonstrates (and hands out to the audience) a savory jelly made from olive oil.  Though I am not sure jelly is the proper term for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw13buzZKOQ&index=36&list=PL546CD09EA2399DAB

Interesting, thanks for sharing.  He used gelatin, xanthan gum, carageenan, but no pectin.  I know that with gelatin and agar-agar, fat will affect the set because only the water is bound up.  So it makes sense that he emulsified the olive oil before adding the gelatin.  I'm not sure whether pectin follows those same rules.

Having rewatched the above video, I was confusing two different olive oil recipes of Carles Tejedor.  The jellies are softer and include fruit juice and sugar.  The olive oil gummies are a firmer sweet candy.  The two recipes are presented about 47 minutes into the lecture.

I hope this helps, but the result may be very different than what you're after.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.  He used gelatin, xanthan gum, carageenan, but no pectin.  I know that with gelatin and agar-agar, fat will affect the set because only the water is bound up.  So it makes sense that he emulsified the olive oil before adding the gelatin.  I'm not sure whether pectin follows those same rules.

Neither of the two Tejedor recipes use gelatin.  The jellies use carrageenan, the gummies use equal amounts of xanthan and locust bean gums.

Neither of the two Tejedor recipes use gelatin.  The jellies use carrageenan, the gummies use equal amounts of xanthan and locust bean gums.

He used sheets of gelatin in the live demo.

He used sheets of gelatin in the live demo.

Oops.  There actually were two different recipes called jellies.  "Olive oil jellies", the recipe using gelatin, is at about 1:03 into the lecture.  The "soft creamy jelly" that uses carrageenan is at about 48 minutes.  I should have rewatched the whole video before commenting.

Fortunately I could find only the one recipe for "olive oil gummies".  That could really get confusing.

You realize that I am procrastinating from having to make ice cream?

Posts responding to the ice cream aspect of this comment have been moved here, http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144208-home-made-ice-cream-2013–/?p=2018314

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)
  • Like 1