• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

Kerry Beal

As Kerry said, I'll be happy to take a look at anything anybody brings in hopes of not having lug back home again. I don't have anything specific in mind other than it being related to chocolate molding and/or decorating. So if you bring it or are considering bringing it and nobody at the conference is interested, send me a message and I'll take a look. I really wish I could be there but a recent and unexpected family matter that I won't go into here in order to avoid sending this off topic makes this a bad time for me to be away from home.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

On April 27, 2016 at 9:36 AM, curls said:

@Kerry Beal will you be bringing your paw kit to the workshop? After Pastyrani's post about gelatin-based fillings, I'm thinking about trying this out at the workshop... would be nice to get a water activity reading too. Also read about some neutral glazed based fillings in the Valrhona literature. Will Rodney have some neutral glaze to play with (recipe uses 400 grams but can definitely 1/2 or 1/3 the recipe)? I think they are trying to do similar things with the gelatin vs. neutral glaze but not sure since I haven't tried any glaze products.

Oooo please take lots of pics and notes!  The aw reading will be most interesting too.

• Like 1

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
ChocolateMom
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Bernie

Boris  

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

curls
Chocolatespassion

MelissaH

ChocolateMom

Saturday dinner list  - one ovolacto vegetarian

Chocoera

Dilittante and wife

curls

tikidoc

patris and Chris

chocolot

Chocolatespassion +1
YetiChocolates
Boris
Gwbyls
MelissaH
jim loellbach
RobertM

SOMA

boris
dilettante and wife
chocolot
YetiChocolates
beets3 and AP
curls
tikidoc
DianaM
tikidoc
Gwbyls
jim loellbach
RobertM
chocoera
MelissaH 

Master Class Friday - limited to 10 

Robodoc000

Chocolatespassion

lambrecht gourmet

jim loellbach

PIZZA

jim loellbach

boris

dilettante and wife

curls

patris and chris

chocolot

YetiChocolates

beets3 and AB

tikidoc

Gwbyls

RobertM

chocoera

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

On 4/26/2016 at 8:58 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Let me do some better math - probably better get an idea of how many we are feeding to make it balance correctly. I'll change it in the original post for now.

i'll do pizza-

On 4/6/2016 at 7:03 PM, Kerry Beal said:

On 4/27/2016 at 4:14 PM, boris on eG said:

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for all that info.

Count me in for pizza as well and show and tell. Also hope to get in on the Soma tour if numbers permit.

Boris

didn't know we needed to rsvp for tour...i'm in if theres room :)

19 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

This is the time that I usually start to get questions about what you should bring. I'd suggest an apron if you like to wear one, any chocolate tools that you can't work without (labelled with your name to help keep track of them), containers suitable for taking home what we make. There will be a copy of most of the common books available if you need to figure out recipes. And something for show and tell if you have it.

In the past we've done a mold/equipment sell off/exchange - so if you've got molds/equipment you want to find new homes for bring them along.

bringing molds!!!!  hope someone else is too? :)

looking at my flight...wondering if i should change it?  :S  my husband gave me thursday in exchange for sunday (because i really really really wanted morato).....all the flights from omaha to toronto are either 6:30 am home at 11:30 am, or 3 pm home at 12:30....soooooooo....will it be just awful if i miss sunday?  we'll still get plenty done saturday right?

Edited by chocoera (log)

34 minutes ago, chocoera said:

looking at my flight...wondering if i should change it?  :S  my husband gave me thursday in exchange for sunday (because i really really really wanted morato).....all the flights from omaha to toronto are either 6:30 am home at 11:30 am, or 3 pm home at 12:30....soooooooo....will it be just awful if i miss sunday?  we'll still get plenty done saturday right?

Up to you of course - I'm sure you'll hate missing cleanup!

Hi, I don't see my name on the Morato for sure listing, but I got my invite and my ticket, so I'm definite for that.

I won't be available on the Friday at all, so no Soma or show and tell for me this year.

I'm mainly attending the Saturday and Sunday learning and play opportunities, but I'm a no for the Saturday dinner. 

Kerry, you asked for us to consider things we might want to learn...I know I would love help learning to make a chewy nougat...you know I've had one night where I tried three times and each time I ended up frustrated. I don't have  an industrial mixer and I would like to learn to make these things in my home kitchen on a lower scale. I'm also hoping to be able to latch on to another group to learn with them and not work independently, even though I really don't know everyone. Some of the names I know won't be here this year, last year I couldn't go and the Las Vegas trip I was so sick I barely remember getting through it.  Mostly I'd like to learn from others.

Kerry, any idea what the actual workshop cost will be?  And I would like a new IR thermometer if you still have some that are accurate. Last time you saw mine I think you had mentioned it was becoming inaccurate. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, ChocolateMom said:

Hi, I don't see my name on the Morato for sure listing, but I got my invite and my ticket, so I'm definite for that.

I won't be available on the Friday at all, so no Soma or show and tell for me this year.

I'm mainly attending the Saturday and Sunday learning and play opportunities, but I'm a no for the Saturday dinner. 

Kerry, you asked for us to consider things we might want to learn...I know I would love help learning to make a chewy nougat...you know I've had one night where I tried three times and each time I ended up frustrated. I don't have  an industrial mixer and I would like to learn to make these things in my home kitchen on a lower scale. I'm also hoping to be able to latch on to another group to learn with them and not work independently, even though I really don't know everyone. Some of the names I know won't be here this year, last year I couldn't go and the Las Vegas trip I was so sick I barely remember getting through it.  Mostly I'd like to learn from others.

Kerry, any idea what the actual workshop cost will be?  And I would like a new IR thermometer if you still have some that are accurate. Last time you saw mine I think you had mentioned it was becoming inaccurate. Thanks!

Kim - what sort of mixer are you using? We'll see who can help you with a nougat. 

I think we are looking at about $150 per person attending if everyone expected shows us. I'm trying to keep it in that range. 

Have you tried changing the battery in your IR to see if that changes it? I have 6 IR's so we are good.

Hi, I was using the handheld type with two beaters on it.  On my third try, I did manage to get it so it was pouring into the pan and I could lay it out and it was malleable, but then it still hardened.  Re the IR: I had changed the batteries right before going to your place and you noticing it was off a bit. It is 10 years old, so maybe it's just time? It was the one I bought for Kyle when he first started.

14 minutes ago, ChocolateMom said:

Hi, I was using the handheld type with two beaters on it.  On my third try, I did manage to get it so it was pouring into the pan and I could lay it out and it was malleable, but then it still hardened.  Re the IR: I had changed the batteries right before going to your place and you noticing it was off a bit. It is 10 years old, so maybe it's just time? It was the one I bought for Kyle when he first started.

It was the Snickers nougat with pb in it?

• Like 1

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
ChocolateMom
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Bernie

Boris  

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

curls
Chocolatespassion

MelissaH

ChocolateMom

Saturday dinner list  - one ovolacto vegetarian

Chocoera

Dilittante and wife

curls

tikidoc

patris and Chris

chocolot

Chocolatespassion +1
YetiChocolates
Boris
Gwbyls
MelissaH
jim loellbach
RobertM
Beets3 - tentative
AB

SOMA

boris
dilettante and wife
chocolot
YetiChocolates
beets3 and AP
curls
tikidoc
DianaM
tikidoc
Gwbyls
jim loellbach
RobertM
chocoera
MelissaH 

Master Class Friday - limited to 10 

Robodoc000

Chocolatespassion

lambrecht gourmet

jim loellbach

RobertM

PIZZA

jim loellbach

boris

dilettante and wife

curls

patris and chris

chocolot

YetiChocolates

beets3 and AB

tikidoc

Gwbyls

RobertM

chocoera

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Hi, it's an older basic nougat recipe from back when Kyle first went to the chocolate workshops: 400 g sugar, 155 g glucose, 150 g water, pinch of salt, 50 g egg white (2 whites), 80g nut butter. Cook sugar, corn syrup and water with salt to 132 degrees Celsius. Drizzle in to stiffly beaten egg whites. Beat until consistency of dough. Add nut butter. Spread into 9x9 pan and cool. 

The first couple of times I couldn't even spread it, it hardened instantly. The third time, I could spread it, but as soon as it cooled, it was solid. 

Just now, ChocolateMom said:

Hi, it's an older basic nougat recipe from back when Kyle first went to the chocolate workshops: 400 g sugar, 155 g glucose, 150 g water, pinch of salt, 50 g egg white (2 whites), 80g nut butter. Cook sugar, corn syrup and water with salt to 132 degrees Celsius. Drizzle in to stiffly beaten egg whites. Beat until consistency of dough. Add nut butter. Spread into 9x9 pan and cool. 

The first couple of times I couldn't even spread it, it hardened instantly. The third time, I could spread it, but as soon as it cooled, it was solid. 

Yeah - that's the same one - adding that nut butter really makes it harden up quickly. 

Anyone interested in a new and sealed copy of Fine Chocolates Great Experience 3 by Jean-Pierre Wybauw? If so, I'll bring it along to the workshop. I wound up with a spare copy... very good friend gifted it to me (not realizing I already had a copy).

Kerry, sorry to make you redo your list.  Please add my mother and me to the Soma tour if possible and Pizza dinner.  If Soma isn't possible, what time will you start the master class?  I could join you then.  If the Soma tour is feasible, my mother would continue the tour of shops with the group while I take the master class.  While she is 87, she has the stamina/walking energy of a much younger person. 

We will need to leave early on Sunday, alas, and miss the last play day.  My mother really wants to see the city and that day will be our only opportunity.  I am happy to wash dishes on Friday or Saturday to make up for missing Sunday cleanup!

How do we pay for the various elements?  Is it easiest to bring cash?  Thank you, Catherine

Edited by Chocolatspassion (log)

14 minutes ago, Chocolatspassion said:

Kerry, sorry to make you redo your list.  Please add my mother and me to the Soma tour if possible and Pizza dinner.  If Soma isn't possible, what time will you start the master class?  I could join you then.  If the Soma tour is feasible, my mother would continue the tour of shops with the group while I take the master class.  While she is 87, she has the stamina/walking energy of a much younger person. 

We will need to leave early on Sunday, alas, and miss the last play day.  My mother really wants to see the city and that day will be our only opportunity.  I am happy to wash dishes on Friday or Saturday to make up for missing Sunday cleanup!

How do we pay for the various elements?  Is it easiest to bring cash?  Thank you, Catherine

Cash is best - not really equipped to do credit cards but can do cheques.

Think Rodney wants to start around 1:30 - 2. Think that should be doable.

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach