• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

Kerry Beal

12 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

If we want to order a few things, should we just call so they hold them for you? Thinking of that cute frog mold...

@tikidoc I acted on Kerry's reminder yesterday. I emailed about molds I was interested in and asked what they had in stock. A few emails back and forth and then I called to work out the last details and pay for my order (they have an 800 number). They are very good at returning emails & phone calls. Make sure to let them know that Kerry will be picking up your order.

p.s. taxes are high, about 15%, but I think you can get some of the VAT refunded if you submit the appropriate paperwork. I think I took care of this last time on the Canadian side of the border crossing. There is lots more info on the Canadian Customs website.

Edited by curls (log)

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Bernie

Boris  

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

curls
Chocolatespassion

MelissaH

Saturday dinner list  - one ovolacto vegetarian

Chocoera

Dilittante and wife

curls

tikidoc

patris and Chris

chocolot

Chocolatespassion +1
YetiChocolates
Boris
Gwbyls
MelissaH
Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

5 hours ago, tikidoc said:

MelissaH is in for Morato as well - I got her ticket when I got mine.

And I'm in for both Friday and Saturday night dinners!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

@Kerry Beal will you be bringing your paw kit to the workshop? After Pastyrani's post about gelatin-based fillings, I'm thinking about trying this out at the workshop... would be nice to get a water activity reading too. Also read about some neutral glazed based fillings in the Valrhona literature. Will Rodney have some neutral glaze to play with (recipe uses 400 grams but can definitely 1/2 or 1/3 the recipe)? I think they are trying to do similar things with the gelatin vs. neutral glaze but not sure since I haven't tried any glaze products.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, curls said:

@Kerry Beal will you be bringing your paw kit to the workshop? After Pastyrani's post about gelatin-based fillings, I'm thinking about trying this out at the workshop... would be nice to get a water activity reading too. Also read about some neutral glazed based fillings in the Valrhona literature. Will Rodney have some neutral glaze to play with (recipe uses 400 grams but can definitely 1/2 or 1/3 the recipe)? I think they are trying to do similar things with the gelatin vs. neutral glaze but not sure since I haven't tried any glaze products.

Will bring. Believe Rodney has neutral glaze.

Way back we played with neutral glaze fillings - let me see if I can find.  Here

• Like 1

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Bernie

Boris  

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

curls
Chocolatespassion

MelissaH

Chocoera

Dilittante and wife

curls

tikidoc

patris and Chris

chocolot

Chocolatespassion +1
YetiChocolates
Boris
Gwbyls
MelissaH
jim loellbach

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Bernie

Boris  

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

curls
Chocolatespassion

MelissaH

Chocoera

Dilittante and wife

curls

tikidoc

patris and Chris

chocolot

Chocolatespassion +1
YetiChocolates
Boris
Gwbyls
MelissaH
jim loellbach

SOMA

Master Class Friday - limited to 10 

Robodoc000

Chocolatespassion

lambrecht gourmet

Definite

RobertM
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Bernie

Boris  

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

curls
Chocolatespassion

MelissaH

Chocoera

Dilittante and wife

curls

tikidoc

patris and Chris

chocolot

Chocolatespassion +1
YetiChocolates
Boris
Gwbyls
MelissaH
jim loellbach

SOMA

boris
dilettante and wife
chocolot
YetiChocolates
beets3 and AP
curls
tikidoc
DianaM
tikidoc
Gwbyls
jim loellbach

Robodoc000

Chocolatespassion

lambrecht gourmet

jim loellbach

PIZZA

jim loellbach

boris

dilettante and wife

curls

patris and chris

chocolot

YetiChocolates

beets3 and AB

tikidoc

Gwbyls

I'm losing track of pizza, soma and master class between e-mails, Facebook group and eG - so if I've missed you let me know.

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

SOMA

boris
dilettante and wife
chocolot
YetiChocolates
beets3 and AP
curls
tikidoc

Robodoc000

Chocolatespassion

lambrecht gourmet

jim loellbach

PIZZA

jim loellbach

boris

dilettante and wife

curls

patris and chris

chocolot

YetiChocolates

beets3 and AB

tikidoc

I'm losing track of pizza, soma and master class between e-mails, Facebook group and eG - so if I've missed you let me know.

Hi Kerry, 

I am in for the Soma visit also. 

Thank you. 

Good morning Everyone,
Hope all is well!

I will be picking up all orders from Montreal shops (chocolat-chocolat, DR, etc.) today or at the latest Tuesday morning.

Please send me a note at jess7luky@gmail.com to let me know exactly what you've ordered so that I can ensure nothing's missing.

Thank you and I very much look forward to meeting you all in a couple weeks!

Jess

• Like 1

Hey Kerry does Rodney have a panning machine at his shop?  If so would it be something we could play around with during the course of the weekend? And you have me right, I'm in for everything but the masters class.  And I have limited internet in Jackson other than the weekends to reply on here, so if you don't get an immediate response from me about something, Facebook me, it's easier to work with over here in WYO.

29 minutes ago, YetiChocolates said:

Hey Kerry does Rodney have a panning machine at his shop?  If so would it be something we could play around with during the course of the weekend? And you have me right, I'm in for everything but the masters class.  And I have limited internet in Jackson other than the weekends to reply on here, so if you don't get an immediate response from me about something, Facebook me, it's easier to work with over here in WYO.

Yes there is a panning machine and yes we can play with it.

Realize I posted this on Facebook group but not here -

Rodney and I spend the evening sitting in the hotel bar here in Lancaster and finally decided on a Master Class for Friday afternoon - the plan is 'Eggs Over EZ' - which will cover a bunch of things to do with 3D egg molds throughout the year. Thinking to limit it to the first 10 participants who sign up and we'll probably look at collecting before the workshop. Cost would be $130.

So we would work around the Soma trip - head there initially - the folks who want to do the Master Class would head back and the rest would continue to check out some Toronto pastry and chocolate shops.

This is the time that I usually start to get questions about what you should bring. I'd suggest an apron if you like to wear one, any chocolate tools that you can't work without (labelled with your name to help keep track of them), containers suitable for taking home what we make. There will be a copy of most of the common books available if you need to figure out recipes. And something for show and tell if you have it.

In the past we've done a mold/equipment sell off/exchange - so if you've got molds/equipment you want to find new homes for bring them along.

Our very own Tri2cook isn't going to be able to make it to the workshop this year - but because he is interested in upping his chocolate game he is interested in molds. If anyone has molds they are interested in offloading - send him a PM with pictures and if he wants them you can bring them along and I can arrange to get them sent up to him after the workshop. 

20 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Our very own Tri2cook isn't going to be able to make it to the workshop this year - but because he is interested in upping his chocolate game he is interested in molds. If anyone has molds they are interested in offloading - send him a PM with pictures and if he wants them you can bring them along and I can arrange to get them sent up to him after the workshop. 

I do have some extra molds, and an (unused) 6 kg Mol d'Art. @Tri2Cook I will PM you most likely on Monday, if that's ok. Will bring along to the workshops as well, in case anyone is interested. 

Diana

• Like 1