• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

Kerry Beal

Skype might make a 'remote workshop' class possible. Or some other similar 'app'. I too wish I could attend the actual workshop/conference - had hoped to make this one - but life still just isn't making that possible yet. Again, apologies for off topic. Maybe after this conference is done, we could start another thread to discuss the 'remote' idea.

Meanwhile, I hope everyone has a terrific time at this year's conference - and thanks to Kerry, as always, for doing so much to plan and hold it, whether I can be there or not.

• Like 2

Definite

RobertM
Sue Casey
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
sarahdwyer
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
dhardy123
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

TandemChocoPC

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Tentative 

prabha

Lurking waiting to decide

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

TandemChocoPC

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

Chocolatespassion +1

Okay, Easter is over and I'm ready to get serious about this trip! Yay! I have reserved a room at the hotel. I am a definite for the weekend. I would very, very much like to go to Morato, and will be making plane reservations in hopes this will happen. Have I missed discussion of paying for the weekend? Or other things? Thanks Kerry and everyone for organizing this. I am really eager to hang out and learn from you all! Oh, this is Robyn Dochterman, from Mpls, Minn.

Edited by Robdoc000
forgot to identify myself (log)
  • Like 2

Definite

RobertM
Sue Casey
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
sarahdwyer
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
dhardy123
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

TandemChocoPC

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Robodoc000

Tentative 

prabha

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

TandemChocoPC

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

Chocolatespassion +1

Robodoc000

Hey Kerry, is the Robyn near the top of the definite list me? (Sometimes there are lots of Robyns, so who knows?). If so, I'm on the definite list twice (once as Robyn, once as Robdoc000). Either way, I'm in for both the workshop and Morato. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Robdoc000 said:

Hey Kerry, is the Robyn near the top of the definite list me? (Sometimes there are lots of Robyns, so who knows?). If so, I'm on the definite list twice (once as Robyn, once as Robdoc000). Either way, I'm in for both the workshop and Morato. Thanks.

I'll bet you are - I think I put you up when you said you were coming on the Facebook group and didn't connect that it was you. I assume you are the famous Robyn who just had an article on Kare11?

18 hours ago, Robdoc000 said:

Okay, Easter is over and I'm ready to get serious about this trip! Yay! I have reserved a room at the hotel. I am a definite for the weekend. I would very, very much like to go to Morato, and will be making plane reservations in hopes this will happen. Have I missed discussion of paying for the weekend? Or other things? Thanks Kerry and everyone for organizing this. I am really eager to hang out and learn from you all! Oh, this is Robyn Dochterman, from Mpls, Minn.

You haven't missed that yet - we need to get our total numbers and our costs to come up with the cost per - it's usually been around $150 tops in the past with around $50 or so for Saturday dinner. Morato will be separate and will be paid directly to Cacao Barry - I'll put up a link when I get one.

Definite

RobertM
Sue Casey
Chocolot
curls
MelissaH
Gwbyls
tikidoc
Robyn 
sarahdwyer
Dilittante + 1
YetiChocolates
dhardy123
Beets3 +1(AB)
jim loellbach
kimberly m
omar c
Chocolatespassion +1
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera
Ashley Waters 

TandemChocoPC

patris and Chris

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Robodoc000

Boris

Tentative 

prabha

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
lambrecht gourmet
chocoera 

Beets3 +1(AB)
Ashley Waters 

TandemChocoPC

jim loellbach

Tikidoc

Chocolatespassion +1

Robodoc000

Hive mind thoughts - Fuji has given us a choice for our door prize draw - a $250 certificate to be used through head office or they will sell us a unit for a very good price that we could raffle. Unit valued at over $1200. 

We would either have to sell enough tickets to cover the cost - or come up with some way of the person who wins the draw paying the very reduced cost.

Thoughts?

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Since I am not currently interested in airbrush work my vote is for the gift certificate since it won't add to the cost of the conference. But I'm not sure that the reduced price Fuji option would change the conference fee? If there is no cost difference, I am fine with either decision.

Edited by curls (log)

No increase in cost to conference - but someone could pick up  $1200 Fuji for $451.50. No one has ever used one of the certificates I discovered. I suppose we could do a draw just for people who were prepared to buy it at that cost. 

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ok - so if I do obtain a unit - will anyone want to be in on the draw?

Kerry needs a count so she can decide whether the draw is worth pursuing.  i suggest, in the interest of brevity, that attendees with no further questions PM Kerry with their answer to this question.  She can keep a running tally in an edited post on this topic.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On January 25, 2016 at 11:24 AM, Kerry Beal said:

Speaking with Renee at Chocolat-Chocolat in Montreal today - she will be again sending us wonderful stuff for the workshop as she has every year - and I will contact her the last week of April to let her know final numbers. It occurs to me that if people want to order from CC that they do so before the last week of April and ask them to put it in the shipment to me - I'll then bring it along to the workshop. Will save on shipping especially for those coming from across the border.

Hey Kerry, I'm definitely interested in doing this, I'm guessing the easiest way would be to call them up and place the order over the phone? I really appreciate you doing this for all of us border crossing folk :)

Kerry,

The Callebaut / Cacao Barry's  Chocolate Academy website appears to have a registration page for Ramon Morato's 

May 12 demonstration.

However, it appears that a corporate affiliation is needed for registration.

Is this where we are supposed to sign up for the evening event?

http://www.chocolate-academy.com/us/en/calendar?oper=detail,course=4295&courseDate=3381

Thanks,

Dillettante (Greg)

8 hours ago, Dilettante said:

Kerry,

The Callebaut / Cacao Barry's  Chocolate Academy website appears to have a registration page for Ramon Morato's 

May 12 demonstration.

However, it appears that a corporate affiliation is needed for registration.

Is this where we are supposed to sign up for the evening event?

http://www.chocolate-academy.com/us/en/calendar?oper=detail,course=4295&courseDate=3381

Thanks,

Dillettante (Greg)

Let me check - I suspect we can use eG as the corporate affiliation if we don't have one of our own. Thanks for catching that - I've been waiting to hear when the sign up was happening.

Can I get everyones e-mail address via PM - we need them so that Cacao Barry can send you invites to Morato?

Also cell phone numbers that you will be using in Canada if possible and proper names would be helpful! I'll send you back my cell number in case you need to reach me after your arrival (or before).