• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2016

Kerry Beal

Wife and I will be coming in on Thursday May 12 for the Morato demonstration. Airline tickets secured; and Holiday Inn Toronto-Yorkdale reservations made (in Thurs. 5/12/16 - out Sunday 5/15/16).

Very excited about the event and looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks, Kerry, for all your efforts in setting this up.

Dilettante (Greg)

• Like 2

Here's a question for those of you familiar with traffic in Toronto.

I live diagonally across Lake Ontario from Toronto. When I checked Google Maps from my house to Humber College, the time difference between driving via Buffalo (without using the expensive 407 ETR) and driving via Kingston was negligible. Which route is likely to be easier, or at least less frustrating driving? Will the time of day make a difference?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

My sister and I are both trying to make up our minds (and I just found out I will need to spring for a new roof on the house this year, which... expensive) and wanted to get a sense of non-hotel costs. If I recall from previous events, the workshop fee is in the $150 neighborhood, right? And Saturday dinner is organized separately? The exchange rate helps quite a bit, but it's good to know the scope of it before we confirm.

Patty

Learned today that Morato might be held at George Brown rather than Humber - because like Niagara College Humber is renovating. It is a much smaller venue and in order to make sure people show up at the events at George Brown Cocoa Barry charges a $30 fee. They send you home with a bag of origin chocolate and feed you grazing food.

Can I get a new show of hands for Morato taking this new info into account?

Hi Kerry,

Two hands going up here -> my wife and I will attend.

$30 does not seem unreasonable for an evening with Morato. It will also be interesting to have the opportunity to visit George Brown.

Dilettante (Greg)

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

Beets3

jim loellbach

kimberly m

omar c

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

Mark Heim (strong tentative!)

patris and sib

Lurking waiting to decide

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Learned today that Morato might be held at George Brown rather than Humber - because like Niagara College Humber is renovating. It is a much smaller venue and in order to make sure people show up at the events at George Brown Cocoa Barry charges a $30 fee. They send you home with a bag of origin chocolate and feed you grazing food.

Can I get a new show of hands for Morato taking this new info into account?

Me

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

Beets3

jim loellbach

kimberly m

omar c

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

patris and sib

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

Beets3

jim loellbach

kimberly m

omar c

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

patris and sib

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate

Slight complication today when I spoke to the girls from Cacao Barry - they have said given the smaller size of the auditorium at George Brown that we may not all be able to get in to Morato. They may force us to only offer it to those who have chocolate businesses - which I think so far we are OK with.

There is a possiblity that they may end up with a larger auditorium for Morato but we can't count on that right yet.

It might be 5 pm rather than 5:30 - I got myself a little disturbed when they told me about possible limitations and I mentioned that I had offered it to the entire group on the understanding that it was not an issue!

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

Beets3

jim loellbach

kimberly m

omar c

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

patris and sib

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Slight complication today when I spoke to the girls from Cacao Barry - they have said given the smaller size of the auditorium at George Brown that we may not all be able to get in to Morato. They may force us to only offer it to those who have chocolate businesses - which I think so far we are OK with.

Well if more business owners want to go to the demo then there are spots, I'll give up my place as I technically am not officially in business yet and I don't want to take away from someone who is...

Edited by YetiChocolates (log)

2 hours ago, YetiChocolates said:

Well if more business owners want to go to the demo then there are spots, I'll give up my place as I technically am not officially in business yet and I don't want to take away from someone who is...

Bah! Can I un- like this? 

• Like 1

Kerry,

Don't take it so hard.  Cacao Barry is in the business of selling product, and clearly dilettantes such as myself are not #1 on their collective corporate mind.

We will rightfully, and cheerfully, stand last in line for attendance.

Dilettante

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

Beets3

jim loellbach

kimberly m

omar c

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

patris and sib

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM

Definite

RobertM

Sue Casey

Chocolot

curls

MelissaH

Gwbyls

tikidoc

Robyn 

sarahdwyer

Dilittante + 1

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

Beets3

jim loellbach

kimberly m

omar c

Chocolatespassion +1

Tentative 

lambrecht gourmet

prabha

patris and sib

DianaM

Morato for Sure

dilittante +1
chocolot
YetiChocolate
Gwbyls
RobertM
Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Hello, this is Catherine, new on the list of attendees.  I am a long-term reader of the pastry thread, and was a student of Kerry's at Ecole Chocolat.  I have a small online molded chocolates business ( chocolatspassion.com ) which I started a little over a year ago.  Kerry saw that I was taking a course with Morato in Montreal in early May and suggested I attend your wonderful workshop.  I will be coming with my mother, who is visiting from France.  We are very much looking forward to meeting everyone, and learning a lot!

• Like 7

Kerry,

I must be in la la land.  I booked my hotel and plane, but never put myself down as a definite.  I would also like to attend the Morato event.  I'm under Lambrecht Gourmet.  Still need to change that in the system.  Wife is joining me, but not for any of the classes, etc.  Just along for the ride... 

• Like 2

David Smith